Anyone have the latest Denon 2800 firmware?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bigmacx, Jan 13, 2004.

1. bigmacx

bigmacx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,
    I currently have the latter version of the 9104-3 firmware and whilst it clears up some issues, some freezing and picture corruption on certain discs still remain. I've got hold of the non multi region version of the 9104-4 firmware, but before I tried that I was wondering in anyone out there has the multi region version of it. I believe the firmware revision is.

DRV 3-16-0
    ESS 9104-4

I can't seem to find it anywhere out there, any help would be much appreciated.

Mac.

2. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have that exact firmware version running and it is indeed problem free (no lipsych, picture breakup etc) and multi region, sadly I don't have the firmware on disc, I had mine updated for me by those friendly chaps at Hayden Labs (Denon UK) absolutely free of charge.. :D

Why not give them a call direct or through your dealer and just tell them your experiencing problems and you need the firmware update, if your 2800 (I'm assuming it is the MKII, as I don't think this firmware is relevant to the MKI) is less than 24 months old then its still in warranty and they should do it for free, including postage.

Ryan :smashin:

3. bigmacx

bigmacx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for the reply Ryan,
    I did get in touch with Denon and they offered to sort the problem out if I sent the DVD player back to them (via the Dealer). I was just hoping to sort the problem out myself without the hassle of having to pack it up and post it and then be without it for however long it took.

It seems crazy that you have to go to all that trouble when you could sort it out in your own home in 2mins with a firmware CD!

I've tried the region 2 version of the firmware and it does fix the problems, but I do have a few Region 1 discs and I'd like to be able to watch them too.

Thanks again,

Mac.

4. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When I sent mine back via the dealer it took 7 days so not too long to suffer without, but I know what you mean, itsa hassle having to disconnect everything and box it up, they must not trust us customers with something dangerous like a cd!! :rolleyes:

5. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,153
    Does EVERYONE have problems with these players? I still may be able to get one for under £200, but reading fred's thread and a couple of others makes me think....avoid:(

Anyone know how the PQ compares to say the Arcam DV88+?

6. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not everyone....! :p

Mine working without a problem and has been since the firmware was updated, seems Denon have finally got this player sorted with Pal Prog and Multi Region, and it was always ok as standard without any modifications.

If you were after a now cheap DVD player with top quality performance then a Denon 2800MKII could well be the one!

7. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,153
    Do you know where I can get the firmware from? Anyone have it on CD-rom who can send it to me please? (I'm on dial-up:()

cheers
    Matt

8. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll look into the possibility of getting Denon to sort it out before the DVD player gets to you Matt, I'll phone the dealer tomorrow for you and - if they don't give me the answer I'm looking for - I'll get back on the phone to hayden labs.

9. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt-i havesolved a few of my problems, i am getting a great picture now, better than my 656. Only problem is lypsnch problem, sorted by lexicon, and not beng able to output pal signals. Apart from that i am sorted.
    I do want the new firmware though, i can't be bothered to send it to the labs, i will give a fiver to the person who can send me the cd.
    cheers
    fred
    p.s amazing piece of kit

10. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi fred, how's the revision/exams going?

I spoke to Hayden Labs (the UK distributor for Denon) today on behalf of yourself with regards to your problematic player from empire direct. They explained to me that they don't get involved with multiregioning of their DVD players. So I explained to them that the player wasn't advertised as multi-region, and a multi-region player wasn't what was wanted.

They were sympathetic to your circumstances and explained that if you return the DVD player to them via Empire Direct (which should cost you nothing), they'd be willing to apply the necessary modifications to sort out the problems involved. This should mean that you have a perfect PAL Progressive (but most likely, region 2) DVD player.

If you contact Empire Direct (the phone number's on their website) and explain to them the situation, you should be able to sort something out with them regarding collection of the player from yourself. I'll forewarn you though that I spoke to EmpireDirect and found them less than helpful on the phone.

Hope this helps

Dimmy :)

11. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers Dimmy mate,
    I will give Empiredirect a call tomorrow and see what happens. If they could send it to hayden labs and then it could be repaired then i would be muchas happy, i only have region 2 discs as well so that is perfect.
    Only had one proper exam which was business studies module one which went well, i think lol
    cheers
    fred

12. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I've had 2800 MK1 for 18 months no problems pal & Ntsc prog, My brother has a DV88+ and the Pq is better but not by much

When I got my 2800 there were loads of threads re lipsync problems but mine never had any. Maybe I just got lucky