1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone have info on Samsung PS42S5S !

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by zapata, Mar 23, 2005.

1. zapata

zapata

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The reason I ask this is cos this is a new model coming out in april and is supposed to be HDTV ready with a contrast ratio of 10000:1 more than twice that of a panasonic. Also has HDMI connectors and all for a reported £1300 or so. A uk seller started advertising it but then withdrew it and even Samsung know nothing of it !

2. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Having recently purchased and then immediately sold at a 50% loss (on purchase price) on a samsung (admittedly a different model) I wouldn't touch another with a barge-pole. Hope this helps

3. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No info on that model...

But Samsung are launching their new-generation of panels and TVs this year, yes. The 50" definitely has a specified 10000:1 contrast ratio and 1500 brightness...don't know about 42"

Samsung's own sets have always had terrible electronics, however, despite their latest panels having quite superb picture quality (much better than Panasonic's WVGA panel IMHO)....this means their sets look rubbish, so if this holds true for the new range, then probably any new Philips models using the latest panels are your best bet...I'm certainly looking out for them

4. rjvanes

rjvanes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen all the new Samsung Plasma's at the Cebit last week in Germany.
    They are releasing multiple 42 inch plasma's.

The one's to look for are:
    - PS42P5H (1024x768, 1300cd/m3, 10.000:1 contrast)
    - PS50P5H (1366x768, 1300cd/m3, 10.000:1 contrast)
    - PS63P5H (1366x768, 1000cd/m3, 10.000:1 contrast)

All 69 billion colors.
    Lamp: 50.000 hours.

Available around june 2005 in Europe.

Price for the PS42P5H between 3000 and 3500 euro.
    Price for the PS50P5H around 6000 euro.
    Anyway that is what I have been told at the Samsung booth.

The picture was breath taking. For the first time that I saw a Plasma which was impressing.

5. zapata

zapata

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for the reply, they sound good so hopefully we will be able to see a demo one sooner or later. Interesting that the model number is slightly different to the one I was given.

6. zapata

zapata

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    @johnccfc This is the kind of info I need to know before parting with hard earned cash ! What was wrong with the Samsung that made you sell it. Personally I have had no problems with this brand on other forms of equipment such as CRT tv and dvd etc so I am intersted to find out more. It was the spec of the new models that caught my eye more than anything and most of my home setup is Samsung so thought I would try and keep it all the same.