Question Anyone have Full Fibre 900?

D

Deleted member 859633

Afternoon.

I moved into my new home 6 weeks ago which has FTTH. Managed to get an OK deal of Fibre 300 for £40 a month. It was activated and worked fine.

I was then told that Full Fibre 900 was available now too. Managed to haggle and got it upgraded. Again it was activated but speeds are slow. BT are saying their tests are saying 750mb down.

I don't have any computers with ethernet so cannot test on wired. Most wireless tests on Fast.com are coming in around 280mb. Highest was 420mb

They say the speed is down to wireless interference. I've gone through the hub settings and managed to rework my devices from 15 to 9 after Meshing my Sonos speakers. Speeds have not changed as a result.

I don't know what to do? Is there anything else i can do or should i degrade back down within the 14 days?

By "new home" do you mean a new-build home? if so, then I'm guessing your ONT and possibly router will probably be under the stairs in an enclosed space. Can you move your router out into the open using a longer ethernet cable if this is the case? Ideally you really need to connect any PC to the ONT by ethernet and test the speeds that way to rule out issues on BTs side - speed tests of approx 900 Mbps mean there's no fault on BT's side. Otherwise speed tests of a few hundred Mbps on 802.11ac wifi clients are probably the best you could expect given your hardware. If you want wifi speeds closer to 1 Gig then you will need to be using wifi 6 (802.11ax) clients and a wifi 6 router, if not already doing so.

Thank you for your reply.

Yeah it’s a new build home. We’ve gutted the stud wall from under the stairs and made it a desk work area.

I just thought that on AC Wi-fi I would be getting a lot more than 260mb down on most of my devices.

BT say it’s a lot of wireless interference and we’ve worked through to try and sort it but it’s not improved.

Maybe I should drop back to 300mb and save £15 a month

I assume you've tried changing the router wifi channels and using an uncongested/least congested wifi channel? Use something like Acrylic wifi.

If you've tried the usual troubleshooting steps, then probably worth replacing your (BT supplied?) router. I have a BT Hub 6 and its utter pants in my 4 bedroom, 2 storey home for wifi (home is also new-ish). Being in a new build, 1 router/AP should easily cover your whole home with wifi unless your home is massive.

I've replaced the BT junk with a Netgear RAX200 and get around 300 Mb/s over wifi anywhere in the home - i'm on BT's 330/50 FTTP service.. Once I upgrade to 1 Gig with BT, I'm expecting speeds to be around 600 Mb/s over wifi ac and closer to 900 Mbps over wifi 6. If something like the Netgear RAX200 is out of your budget, then go for a Netgear R7800 or something like the Asus RT-AX88U, both of which are great routers.

Yep. BT spent half an hour changing my wireless channels. There was a short term speed bump it didn’t last.

I’ve worked through each of my devices. Turning off all my devices and testing them one by one. At best I got 420mb on a single test.

BT have offered to send a new smart hub but I do t see that helping.

Seems to be slightly improving.

stuck my Sonos stuff on its own mesh network by hardwiring one of the devices to the router. Not sure if it’s related to the speed issue but apparently the smart hub 2 doesn’t work well with SKY Q so without me even asking, they said they would send me out some homeplugs to connect that too.

That should be arriving today so I’ll see how that improves things.

Any improvement?

I've managed to sign up to BT's Fibre 900 service today (£59.99/m with £100 Quidco cashback). Will be going live in 2 weeks, so will let you know what speeds I'm getting over wifi 5 and wifi 6. Can''t wait :)

Yeah got there in the end with quite a bit of work.

BT sent me some Homeplugs and to that I moved all of my SKY Q and mini box as well as all my Sonos devices ( 4 in total)

Got a new printer on with my Mac so added that via 5Ghz. Decided to turn off 2.4Ghz on the router to force them to run faster.

Main Mac we just got is on ethernet and is giving me good results

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 20.29.51.png
Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 20.29.51.png

I’m in 2 minds to whether to upgrade or not from our 300mb speeds on FTTP line

Is there any noticeable difference, we also have around 50 WiFi devices scattered about the house

Erm... unless you have the disposable income for it I’d say it’s not worth it. Wired into my Mac it’s amazing, 1.1GB constantly now.

where it struggles is on SKY Q and PS4 where they are wired with home plugs. PS4 I’m getting 120mb down but I think that maybe because Sony are currently throttling. SKY the downloads are painfully slow. Half an hour to download a portion of a TV show before I can start watching. Think I need to go back and reload at these two devices.

despite all this speed, I don’t see anything quicker than when I was on the 300mb

We’ve just went ahead and ordered it for connection on Tuesday

We have the 14 day cooling off period, if we don’t get the advertised speeds, and notice the difference, then it’s being swapped back.

We are also not upgrading the Hub from the original to Hub2, spoke with the lady on the call and mentioned there was no different between them, they will both give the high speeds. The good thing about the first Hub is you can choose 2.4 or 5ghz

Last edited:
I tried to order it as soon as it became available but BT is saying the fastest I can get is what I'm on, 300Mb.

When I check the BT broadband checker, it states the fastest my Exchange is capable of is 330Mb. I'm guessing they still have some work to do at that Exchange.

i think its just a gradual rollout to upgrade the lines to over 330mb.

I tried to order it as soon as it became available but BT is saying the fastest I can get is what I'm on, 300Mb.

When I check the BT broadband checker, it states the fastest my Exchange is capable of is 330Mb. I'm guessing they still have some work to do at that Exchange.
Three possible reasons why you can't get above 330/50:

1) You're on an ECI FTTP circuit - only those on a Huawei ONT><OLT can get the higher speeds

2) Your exchange doesn't have the backhaul in place to support gigabit lines

3) Openreach database error

Three possible reasons why you can't get above 330/50:

1) You're on an ECI FTTP circuit - only those on a Huawei ONT><OLT can get the higher speeds

2) Your exchange doesn't have the backhaul in place to support gigabit lines

3) Openreach database error

1) I have a Huawei ONT so don't believe it'll be ECI equipment in the Exchange.
2) Possibility
3) Wouldn't surprise me given when I was getting FTTP installed, it was delayed because they had my house going to a node 400m away. Rather than the one 20m across the street!

1) I have a Huawei ONT so don't believe it'll be ECI equipment in the Exchange.
2) Possibility
3) Wouldn't surprise me given when I was getting FTTP installed, it was delayed because they had my house going to a node 400m away. Rather than the one 20m across the street!
So after further investigation, it appears it may be a database error?

If I look at another street a mile or so away, connected to the same Exchange, they have 1000Mbps available.

1.png

Where my property still only shows as having 330Mbps available..

2.png

No idea how I get OpenReach to look into this!

Erm... unless you have the disposable income for it I’d say it’s not worth it. Wired into my Mac it’s amazing, 1.1GB constantly now.

I thought it was a 900Mbps service not over a gig. How are you getting over a gig on a speedtest? Normal gigabit LAN port will top out at around 930Mbps.

What speedtest do you use of interest? If "speedtest", are you getting this with multiple servers?

where it struggles is on SKY Q and PS4 where they are wired with home plugs. PS4 I’m getting 120mb down but I think that maybe because Sony are currently throttling. SKY the downloads are painfully slow. Half an hour to download a portion of a TV show before I can start watching. Think I need to go back and reload at these two devices.

Powerlines are not suitable in a network like yours unless you are happy with the limitations, 120Mbps could well be you powerline real max throughput. Most testing websites have even the 1200 and 2000 advertised ones do not get much past 150Mbps, possibly 200Mbps with a favourable wind. Is that the PS4 reported speed or average time in downloading stuff? I generally get very quick downloads certainly more than that speed.

I am on Virgin's Gig service am also sometimes have issues with slow Sky Q downloads. I am hardwired for most stuff including Sky Q and it doesn't get particularly good download speed at the best of the time.

We are also not upgrading the Hub from the original to Hub2, spoke with the lady on the call and mentioned there was no different between them, they will both give the high speeds. The good thing about the first Hub is you can choose 2.4 or 5ghz

2.4GHz won't normally get much past 150Mbps if you are in the same room, to go any faster you definitely need AC. Unfortunately, most of the call centre staff don't have the level of training or knowledge required to really advise properly.

If you have 50 clients in your house on one WiFi router/access point, then personally I would want to ensure that my internal network could handle that properly first. I would want to install multiple access points, hardwired back to the router\switch as well as hardwire equipment that can be. That way you can better spread the load around your network and better make use of the improved bandwidth. Otherwise, you end up with a bottleneck for your entire network particularly as a lot of devices these days talk to each other and that is all in contention with your actual requests to the Internet if done through the same WiFi point.

As a general statement, I think we are really getting into diminishing returns increasing from 300 > 500 > 1Gbps etc. We are also highlighting inadequacies in our internal home networks (plus at the other end of the Internet connection e.g. slow servers). For me, the upgrade was to get a better upload speed on VM its only 50Mbps which is still poor compared to fibre especially given DOCSIS 3.1 can accommodate well over the Gig. Probably haven't really noticed the download speeds much beyond speed tests and Steam downloads.

The question I would ask is what problem are you trying to solve in upgrading your speed. It is not going to make Netflix any better, sure you can have more streams but how many do you need. For an average family home with 4 to 5 people in all streaming UHD is only 125Mbps :) A lot of business with more staff don't have much more.

If you can't answer the question (or it is to upgrade your hub) then save your money :)

We already have, reverted back to our original speeds and out of contract :)

Excellent :) Did you notice anything different then, just out of interest?

I wouldn't actually mind comparing VM against a FTTP to see how they compare. For example speedtest now only just hit 100Mbps (yes missing 0). Yet Sam Knows hit the right numbers on both modem and PC... :(

We were getting around 250 previously and the upgrade brought us around 400

Certainly not putting ourselves into a 2 year contract, and paying £59.99 a month for that

We have gigabit but that's because down in NZ the fttp government initiative means fibre had overtaken copper here so it's affordable. Going from 200Mb to gigabit was ok, I only really notice or care that pc and Xbox games do download over 200Mb, but that's is about the only time I care. It was nice to have no slow down when we were hammering it working from home though.

Overall I'd say if you don't need it don't get it, for us it costs about £2.50 extra a month and that is a price in willing to pay for the upgrade, more than £5 extra I wouldn't bother with it. My main reason for it though was with hi sir being fairly ubiquitous here I run a VPN, and in the 200Mb plan the uploads were only 20Mb. The five company I work for upped the base plan to 200/100 so I'd now actually be fine going back to that.

Going up to gigabit definitely highlights WiFi problems, ice got a set of tenda mw6 nodes and only top out at 400Mb on WiFi, but that's pretty much as fast as I think anything will push me data anyway. I've just tried to make sure I wire in as much as I can to reduce traffic. So my gen 1 Chromecast now has an Ethernet adapter in the bedroom so all I have left is smart plugs, lights and Google home speakers that use very little data, and even those last ones I want to cable in as they are all near ports.

I thought it was a 900Mbps service not over a gig. How are you getting over a gig on a speedtest? Normal gigabit LAN port will top out at around 930Mbps.

Using Fast.com It shows it peaking at 1.1Gbps but whether its actually getting that. Most of the time its 960mbps.

Speedtest.net is around 930mbps

Powerlines are not suitable in a network like yours unless you are happy with the limitations, 120Mbps could well be you powerline real max throughput. Most testing websites have even the 1200 and 2000 advertised ones do not get much past 150Mbps, possibly 200Mbps with a favourable wind. Is that the PS4 reported speed or average time in downloading stuff? I generally get very quick downloads certainly more than that speed.

I did not know that. Ive just hardwired directly into the router and sure enough I'm now getting 550mb down. 132GB Download is quoting 50 minutes.

Im pleased I found the issue being the PS4 wifi and power lines are limiting it, but I'm now gutted as I don't have an ethernet directly going into the PS4 and I don't know how I am going to do it without cutting the wall out

I am on Virgin's Gig service am also sometimes have issues with slow Sky Q downloads. I am hardwired for most stuff including Sky Q and it doesn't get particularly good download speed at the best of the time.

To be fair the downloads have been quite fast again recently. No idea what speed but fast enough that I can watch a downloaded program within a couple of seconds

Hey I’m coming to this thread late but I just upgraded to Fibre 900 using a Asus RT-AC92U mesh network with 2 devices, not the largest house.
Before upgrade I was on Fibre 300 and getting 250mbps on the network. Now I’m getting 300mbps over WiFi, but thought I’d see a larger jump.
Anyone have advice on how to maybe bump that?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom