1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone have firsthand experience of Screen Burn?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by FlyingBig, May 31, 2005.

1. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just how careful do i have to be when i get my new plasma, last thing i want is to be worring about playing a game too long or watching too many widescreen movies. Has anyone done too much of the above and ruined their plasma, if so speak up!

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It is said that you have to be most careful in the first 200 hours of viewing, and keep the contrast levels down during this time. Avoid games that place a grid or border on the screen, especially when in white. If you have to leave the screen to answer the phone, turn the screen off. It won't take more than a few seconds to switch it back on again. If you use a little common sense, you should be OK.

3. voxmagna

voxmagna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, later generation plasmas are better but not immune. You need to distinguish between 'image retention' if you see it and screen burn. The former is temporary and you're most likely to see it in the first 200 hours, the second is permanent. I'm sure that image retention + long time = screen burn, so look for image retention first and learn to avoid if possible.

If there is a particular broadcast service using bright superimposed fixed captions, you can play safe by moving its channel up the list where it won't easily get found.

Some things can catch you out though - my wife has found the Dvd pause button for when she make a cup of tea or gets on the phone. Train her to select a source with no input at the same time or turn off the panel! Check all the options in your menu are set for saving its life - power down timeouts for no operation, power efficiency modes etc.

Often you can't avoid watching 4:3 transmissions, although most plasmas add grey curtains to the sides, try the 4:3 zoom mode. It's not that aesthetic but at least you fill the screen. Watch out for transmissions signalled as 16X9 which use letterbox (their own black bars), Use zoom for these.

Many say the panel gets more resilient to burn with use, so just take some initial care.

PS my first hand experience of 'image retention' after 10 hours was BBC News 24 logo. The service is now moved.

4. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK thanks for the informative feedback but removing channels that have logos is not an option vox, this is what worries me about plasmas. For instance just say i am browsing the internet via my PC, am i to worry about the toolbar being on the same spot while i am browsing, if i am playing Forza motorsport via my xbox do i worry about the various information displays telling me what postion i am in etc...? Little things like this won't add up to an enjoyable experience and when i am paying near £2000 it doesn't make alot of sense :( I need some convincing about the whole plasma thing. Very tempted at the moment to spend a little more on a very decent DLP projector to be honest or am i better of with LCD and risking the nightmare of a few dead pixels to keep me company?

5. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought about Xbox games like Forza, too because I´m looking forward to get a Panasonic PV500. When you think about it, you´ll never have the same picture for more than 5-10 minutes... Between races etc, there´s always a change in the background, so I think that this won´t be a problem.

Regarding LCD, you don´t need to worry about dead pixels anymore... but keep in mind that the black levels of LCDs are still very poor compared to Plasma panels.

6. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I wouldn't worry too much about screen burn on moderm plasmas. I was a bit careful for the first couple of hundred hours with my Panasonic PWD6, but I always watch 4:3 as 4:3, although I take advantage of the grey side bars instead of black. CBeebies is on for at least an hour each morning with it's bright yellow logo. My son plays XBox games for about a couple of hours at a time and we watch one or two 2.35:1 movies each week. I even pause my TiVo for several minutes at a time while I make some tea or even put my younger son to bed. So far I've not noticed any problems and I think I would actually have to try hard to get screen burn on my PWD6.

So just pick a decent screen and enjoy it.

7. <<-WABB->>

<<-WABB->>

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all i`ve just ordered my first Plasma and i too have been worried about screen burn especially with Sky and all those little icons they have in the corners, my daughter watches MTv for hours on end will this be a problem. :(

8. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers for the response guys, convincing me slowly. Wabb i don't watch MTV that much but your right it would be worrying but then think about it, there are adverts every 5 mins. Can't think if there is an MTV logo on during adverts, if so its a bad move by MTV

9. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

No, they don´t have logos during the adverts. (at least MTV Germany doesn´t)

Actually, MTV seems to be the ideal TV program due to their frequent advertisement break... :D

10. music

music

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
  11. voxmagna

voxmagna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FlyingBig, when I said I removed channels that had on screen logos, perhaps I should have said that I accept those that modulate their brightness, keep their brightness low or move their position. I still hate them, but the plasma manufacturers have a lot to answer for. The Pio plasmas with their media box do not display their DTT channel number on the front of the box. To check what channel you are on means grabbing the remote each time. In a way, they are therefore encouraging broadcsasters to remind you with on screen logos.

Why can't plasma manufacturers put the intuitive and accepted TV ergos into their systems, instead of selling panels and receiver cards as if they were PC/ multimedia leggo systems?

On the point about 200 hours or so 'burn in' has anybody measured their plasma white output when new with a photometer, and then 200 hours later? I'd like to know if phosphor sensitivity (brightness output) decreases quickly at first, and that's why they don't appear to burn so much after use.

12. Gadget man

Gadget man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OHH SH*T my best friend has burnt his dads new plasma...is there anything that can be done so that he may live another day???

13. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,583
    I have just got my PV500 and not too worried about screen burn, I have played a bit of Forza but not much.
    No problems yet, I have mostly been watching full screen DVD's and freeview so no worries about black bars.

I haven't heard many people lately that have suffered from it, apart from the post above.

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Panasonics are very hard to damege, some other screens can be much more prone, even Pioneer. High light output = burn in more likely. So Hitachi, LG and Pioneer owners take care, especially from new.

15. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it´s only a short-burn then some "White Noise" should probably help. This way all the pixels get activity and the burn may be evened out.

My PV500 didn´t even have a short-burn yet... fingers crossed. (played some HD/DVD and played some Forza)

16. Davey P

Davey P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been to my local Currys tonight and saw the PV500 for the first time (purchase of my first plasma is between this and the Hitachi 7200), looked a nice enough screen, but considering it's only been in store for around a week, I was shocked to see the 'sky sports news' logo burnt into the top right of the screen! It looked awful and I would be horrified if I'd paid £2500 for a TV that did that so quickly.

Perhaps this was the 'image retention' problem voxmagna refers to above?

I really want my next TV to be a plasma, but considering I do watch a lot of SSN, this is a big concern to me...

17. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    What's SSN?

18. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    sky sports news maybe ?

19. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    And I was thinking it was something entirely more deviant :devil:

Davey, don't forget that the sets in Currys and the like are running the same signal 24/7, probably in Dynamic and with the highest contrast, brightness settings, no wonder there's some "image retention". Under normal home conditions these new pannys are said to be pretty bomb-proof as far as screen burn is concerned.

20. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    there not running there tvs at night aswell are they ? they could save a fortune if they switched them off when they shut up shop lol.but seriously even with high contrast and a running of say 10 hours a day a weeks worth of use shoulnt give burn should it ?

21. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    They might well leave them running at night as well, especially if it's visible from the window in any form of 'high st' location. Even a CRT would likely have a logo burned in by that time. Having said that, I used to work in Hampstead a few years back, where they used to leave 'the hits' on 24/7. We never managed to burn a 5 series with that.

22. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    pv500 arrives today! :D I will be very careful with it and remove dynamic mode immediately. Does anyone have recommended settings for brightness/contrast for the first few hundred hours or do i just need to tune down the contrast?

23. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dynamic mode actually looks really bad. I can´t imagine why anyone would want to use that mode?

Go to "Cinema" and set the contrast to ~ 50% (or less), brightness to around 40-50%..

24. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,583
    I have mine in 'Normal' mode and left the contrast, brightness about 50%.

Remember, you have to go in to EVERY input and turn off Dynamic.

25. maltese

maltese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I ordered a Hitachi 37PD5200 and when I first watch it I noticed that there was a TV logo burnt on it.

It was supposed to be a new unit, but the unit they delivered to me was one they had been on exhibition and unfortunately (or fortunately to me as I could notice that) they left same TV channel on during, I guess, several weeks, ten hours a day, six days a week. It was very noticeable at first sight.

I purchased it from one of the most important stores in my country (equivalent to Harrod's), so that means you never can trust anyone.

Of course I return it and currently I am waiting for a new unit, but I am rethinking about changing the model for the panasonic th37pv500

-m

26. ajbird

ajbird
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had to send my 1st plasma back to the shop as it had a thx demo logo on it!! so guess what my plasma had been used for before they sold to me as a new unit!! was not happy

it used to have a while screen on it which helped to remove some left over images

but that was a long time ago - i am sure things must be better now

andy