1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone have experience of these component cables from Maplin?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Chipster, Dec 20, 2003.

1. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

Just wondered if anyone has tried these cables. I intend to spend more perhaps in the new year, but in the meantime for this price and spec I cant go wrong......or can I???

24K hard gold-plated connectors
    High quality oxygen-free copper (OFC) multi-strand cable
    Includes three gold-plated phono to BNC adaptors
    Durable and highly flexible PVC outer jacket
    Colour-coded connectors for easy identification
    Pure copper braid and aluminium foil dual shielding to block RFI/EMI interference
    Available in 4 lengths, including extra-long

10 metre component cable for £29.99.

Link here http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=03122018045257&moduleno=35903

Cheers,

Chipster.

2. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  3. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks pemberto

I fully intend to check out Mark Grant in the new year, I dont believe you can buy better cable. However, after just buying a projector and screen pending, I just need to buy cable to tide me over the Xmas and new year. Otherwise nobody will get any presents :(

Any more comments welcome.

Chipster.

4. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If anyones interested, I purchased a set of these maplin leads and have to say for a 10m run for £29.99 they seem to perform very well. They are connected to a Sanyo Z2 PJ from a HK DVD25 using prog scan.

They appear to be constucted well, and all three cores form a ribbon apart from the ends.

I dont really see any noise or interference as such, and without comparison to leads costing 4 times as much I can only say that I am very happy with my purchase, certainly for the time being anyway. (New screen first)

Hope that helps anyone on a limited budget.

5. tedy

tedy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you buy the Belden 7710A from bluejeanscable.com you will buy it less then half the price as compared to Mark Grant.I bought them last week and I believe by next week I will have them.

6. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks tedy,

I would be very interested in comparisons you make with your existing cables.

Also will take a look at bluejeanscable. Will you drop a quick note to say they have arrived with you safely.

Cheers,

Chipster.

7. tedy

tedy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will let you know.It is the third time that I buy from them and whithin a week approximatelly I had them.The last two times I bought the belden 1808a s-video.Now I bought the 7710a with BNC to replace the supra Trico with RCA.

Theodor

8. Russell_S

Russell_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi there,

I have bought quite a few of these Maplin cables in various different configurations of S-video, Scart & Phono. I have to say that I think they are extremely good value for money. They are well constructed, use good size conductors and greatly improved my picture quality. The other good thing is that they are all available in three different lengths, 0.75m , 1.5m and 3m. This means that I havn't got lots of cabling hanging down at the back of my unit.

Highly recommended.

9. tedy

tedy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

They arrived safely on friday the 2nd.Compared to my existing Supra Trico, from my sitting position which is 5 meters from my plasma I did not notice any diffrence(how could I?) but that was not the reason I bought them.I bought them because I will buy the Lumagen pro and I needed BNC conectors.Have in mind though that the Supra Trico costs almost 4 times the price of belden 7710a .

10. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that update tedy. I'm pleased they arrived safely. I will put some on my shopping list, that is when I decide to go HCPC or not :confused:

I ve since bought some of the maplin leads anyway as a tide over and have to agree with Russell...very good value for money!!

PS Tedy did you have to pay any import duty from the USA? I,m wondering if we will have to here in the UK.

Good time to buy from here with the current exchange rate

Cheers,

Chipster

11. tedy

tedy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No import duty.It came with my regular mail.Especialy with the euro increase it is avery good time to buy from the U.S.The same applies for the British Pound.

12. Spencem

Spencem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the heads up on this, I was thinking of getting the Mark Grant cable but was having trouble with the price. Orderd a 3RCA to 3RCA from Bluejeans for $39.95 on Friday and it arrived Tuesday, not only that but they only charged me $5.95 delivery even though there were $9 worth of stamps on the packet (US Postal Service Air mail).

As for qulity, WOW:clap: :clap: :clap: a huge difference over the old cable, but then it was just standard phono.:blush:

13. helen B

helen B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    spencem and tedy,
    You seen well pleased with your Bluejeans cables and service.Im thinking of buying the same (Belden 7710a at 4 feet length) and please correct me if Im off the mark, a 1694a digital coax 4feet at $12.50.
    Couple of questions.
    Ive got a 36" toshiba 36zp38 and intend to buy a dvd recorder in the near future(make etc undecided as Im waiting to see a forum member purchase and test the tosh dr1) The tosh is in a corner on the stanard tv stand. In the BJC website the say its a stiff cable. Would a 4 feet cable be flexible enough to use with the tv/stand as the distance in height from connectionon tv to stand shelf where the dvd recorder will sit is only 1 foot approx.
    Also is the 1694a the right cable for the digital coaxial from the dvd to tv for D D sound. I was going to get the Profigold PGD481. Unless some one can recommend a better cable for the money.
    Many thanks for the info in advance.

14. Spencem

Spencem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Helen

I have the slightly older version of your TV and yes a 4 foot cable would be fine, but they also do 2 foot lengths, all be it without the outer shield which may be better for your needs (and cheeper).

As for the coax I can't comment on the quality as I don't have one, but it is certainly the right type for your needs, but again do you need 4 foot?

15. tedy

tedy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Helen

The 7710a is very stiff .As Spencem said ,why go for the 4 foot when you only need 1 foot .Go for the 2 or 3 foot cable.If there is not enough room at the back of your TV and DVD recorder then you should go for 3 1694a instead for the 7710a. The 1694a is a very good coaxial cable and you get it from bluejeans at a ridiculous price compared to what is going on on the cable market .

16. helen B

helen B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could probably get away with a 2 or 3 foot cable in all honesty but fancy having all three cables nice and neatly wrapped together. Would a 7710a bend back on itself if both tv and dvd are stacked above each other with the connections only 1 to 2 feet apart or am I better going with the 3 x 1694a with the flex covering from bluejeanscable.
    thanks for advice so far.

17. tedy

tedy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My media receiver (TV box) and the DVD are 46cm apart ( about 1.5 feet ) in height. The space between the back wall and the connections is 30 cm ( 1 foot) and the 7710a just fits this gap by bending it.So if you have enough room at the back where the connections are go for it.