Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Anyone have a Sony DVPNS955?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MSYam, Jan 12, 2005.

1. MSYam

MSYam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondered if anybody has one of these yet? I am interested in how it performs against the older models, particularly the layer change, which is meant to be quite slow? There are no reviews on it yet - dont know why.

I would also like to know how it compares against the Pioneer 575, Marantz DV4500 etc..

2. MSYam

MSYam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm, surprised the new Sony is so unpopular - looks to me like a tidy piece of kit.

3. DarrenH

DarrenH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You can find a review in the January issue of Home Cinema. They rated it against the Denon 1910 and the Yamaha S1500. It won! :laugh:

4. Matt_H

Matt_H
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one earlier in the week based on that review, I couldn't find many other players in the £250-£400 category that I liked the look/sound of. I've only listened to CD's so far, and have been impressed - my new projector comes today so its not connected up yet to play DVD's, its certainly a nifty looking piece of kit. If you shop around you can get it for £220.

Will update when I've spun a few DVD's in the next couple of days!

Matt

5. MSYam

MSYam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers matt, I'll look forward to it? How's the build quality? Is it better than the budget models? Does it seem like a sturdy unit i.e. disc tray? And does it read discs quietly?

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,037
    If it is like my NS900 and other 900 series. The build quality should be excellent as it is part of the QS range.

I needed a new player for my projector and opted for the NS585 which I am very pleased with. However, I wished this player was cheaper and available at the time.