Anyone have a Philips Monroe PJ out there

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by apocklington, Jun 24, 2002.

1. apocklington

apocklington
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, anyone have a Philips Monroe PJ out there, if so your views please.:D Does anyone know who stocks it. TIA.

2. Ian Oliver

Ian Oliver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Surely someone must have this PJ? The specs look awesome but there's just so little information about it out there. I can't even find anything on the Philips website about it!

I too am looking for opinions from anyone who has this PJ.

btw Ian, the site you mentioned doesn't stock the Monroe.

Michael.

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Do a search on Monroe within this forum. There are at least two owners who posted their thoughts.

Also, check out the product reviews.

Regards

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris,
    PHILLIPS with their expertise.....one would think they would release a home cinema dlp with pixel plus?

Anything in the pipeline?
    Doug :)

6. Rich1978

Rich1978
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello apocklington,

I got mine from www.go2camcorder.co.uk

It was imported so it only cost £1,800 - however that meant it came with the wrong type of plug (but that was no problem to change).

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. After two weeks there was a component failure and the unit failed to start up but Philips had it collected, repaired and delivered back to me in just over a week. Since then I've haf no problems with the unit. Obviously, it would have been better if it hadn't have failed but the service from Philips was excellent.

Performance wise - it's bright, offers a clear picture, has loads of settings, a quiet fan, and has a long lamp life. I wish it had a better contrast ratio than 350:1, but it's still a good unit.

Not a very detailed description, but if you'd like any specific questions answered please let me know.

7. apocklington

apocklington
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going for a demo tomorrow, so i'll post a message here with the result and my view on this PJ.:cool:
    BTW Rich, do you know where your Monroe was imported from.
    Have you got any dead pixels and do you know if the people you bought yours from would do a pre-delivery check for dead pixels. You haven't said what equipment you have hooked up to the PJ and where you've positioned it, a brief description would be appreciated. Thanks:D

8. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    You should be able to get very close to that price with stock from a UK dealer.

Regards

9. apocklington

apocklington
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Chris.:)

10. Rich1978

Rich1978
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No clue where it was imported from (somewhere else in Europe?), it just came with a different plug.

I didn't ask whether the company would check for dead pixels, but as luck would have it there weren't any. A bit foolish really, but I got away with it. You could always ask them.

The Monroe is now mounted to the ceiling. I was originally going to make something myself but when actually inspecting the bottom of the projector (it only had one screw hole for the bracket) I thought it would be much safer to go with the official bracket e.g. I'm sure Philips know what they're doing (and I don't).

It's just under 3 metres away from the screen and is projecting a 60"x60" picture. It could go bigger but that's the maximum size of the screen. The screen it's self is MDF painted with Icestorm 4 paint. I did use a reflective white roller screen with my last projector, but since the Monroe is much brighter I think the grey screen gives much better colours.

The DVD (Pioneer 717) and Laserdisc players are hooked up via a S-Video cable and the video (and TV signal) is connected via a composite lead. Good pictures all round.
    I've also used a Keene sycblaster cable from the DVD to the Monroe for a RGB signal - that is an excellent picture. However it only seems to work when used with PAL DVD's. For some reason the signal is lost after a few minutes with NTSC.

At the moment I'm trying out a ProV progressive scan converter from AV-Sales. I'll use this weekend to see how this box of tricks can improve the picture.

I hope this is some help.

Rich.

11. apocklington

apocklington
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rich, As soon as I find the best price i'll be ordering one.

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CHRIS..

I take it thats a no then?

Thanks for the prompt and courteous reply,is this the new Philips marketing plan?....ignore potential punters?:D :D :D

Doug

13. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Don't shout Doug, I can "hear" you perfectly well

Not at all m8, I'm just singling you out for special attention, that's all! :D :D :D back at ya.

Fact is, I chose not to reply immediately because I didn't have all the facts to hand. Thought I would continue my tradition of posting the most accurate information I have, if that's OK with you.

Right now Philips isn’t ruling anything out for future product development. We will add a 16:9 panelled product to the HC range around the end of the year. That's all I can say right now.

And please remember, I participate in this forum in my own free time because I am a Home Cinema enthusiast, just like you. The fact that I work for a manufacturer is incidental. It is mentioned in my signature so that those who believe I may be biased can form their own opinions. Overall though, I think I remain reasonably objective (and no, I haven't said you suggested otherwise).

Best regards, as always.

14. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +334
    And the award for most diplomatic answer goes to... ;)