Question Anyone has the same feeling that the built in Netflix and Youtube got better upscaling?

Hey guys,I am new here but not new to AV world. I owed a Sony X930E,recently I bought a soundbar and I want to get the best sound output for experiencing the full Dolby Atmos support. Since X930E doesn't have the eARC feature,I bought an apple tv 4k to watch Netflix streaming. For 4k contents it is really impressive picture quality,also the dolby atmos sound quality is excellent with my sound bar.
But the thing is that,for full HD contents,I found the upscaling on apple tv is not as good as what is on the built in Netflix,especially for cartoons/2D animations.

For Youtube,the 1080P content on the apple tv also looks not that good compared to the built in Youtube app(apple tv 4k even doesn't support 4k contents on Youtube because of the system limitation).
It seems that all the built in apps got better upscaling. Anyone here got the same issue with me?Or just this is the way how it shoud be?

BTW,the picture mode and settings are all the same for both apple tv 4k and the built in apps.

Kid Ulysses

Definitely. The Sonys built in apps do a superb job of upscaling and providing super sharp picture. Almost astonishingly so sometimes. And yes - I think the same apps via Apple TV don’t look nearly as good. Aside from anything else the Apple TV isn’t as good as upscaling. Also provides a darker Dolby Vision pivoted when doing a/b comparisons.

Personally really keen to get the internal Apple TV app if and when it comes so I can enjoy my movie collection to its maximum quality and not feel that it’s sub par!

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Yes the Apple TV + app. It will also allow you to watch any movies you’ve bought through Apple.
Yes, I know.
I was just making the distinction between Apple TV (Hardware) and Apple TV+ the streaming TV service app.

PKblue

I have a non-4K Apple TV box which I was using on my HD TV (which was too old to run smart apps effectively) but now I’ve got a new 4K TV (Sony AG9) I find the internal apps great so far. Don’t think I need to get Apple TV 4K box. Am also waiting for Apple TV app for Sony but in the meantime I just use my phone/iPad Apple TV app and Airplay it to TV. Seems to work pretty well as an interim solution

Definitely. The Sonys built in apps do a superb job of upscaling and providing super sharp picture. Almost astonishingly so sometimes. And yes - I think the same apps via Apple TV don’t look nearly as good. Aside from anything else the Apple TV isn’t as good as upscaling. Also provides a darker Dolby Vision pivoted when doing a/b comparisons.

Personally really keen to get the internal Apple TV app if and when it comes so I can enjoy my movie collection to its maximum quality and not feel that it’s sub par!
Thanks for the comments…now I know it is not my own issue. Actually I also compared those apps in XBox One X and PS4 pro,none of them got the same upscaling quality as the built in apps. I am wondering if it is because the video output signal for all these external devices I set is 4K,then the TV will not do the upscaling since it is already “upscaled” by the device?

I have a non-4K Apple TV box which I was using on my HD TV (which was too old to run smart apps effectively) but now I’ve got a new 4K TV (Sony AG9) I find the internal apps great so far. Don’t think I need to get Apple TV 4K box. Am also waiting for Apple TV app for Sony but in the meantime I just use my phone/iPad Apple TV app and Airplay it to TV. Seems to work pretty well as an interim solution
You definitely no need get Apple TV box,believe me the built in apps always get the best upscaling. To be honestly I am feeling a buyer's remorse now but considering the dolby atmos on Apple TV Box is good,it might not be that bad

Sluggster

I have Netflix via Panasonic OLED, Nvidia Shield and Panasonic 820 4K player. I find that the Shield & TV are very similar but that the best picture comes from the 4K BR player. Unfortunately it does not have the Apple App.