Anyone happy with Virgin? (I'm moving from Sky)

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Phil.LFC, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Could someone please tell me that they're happy with their VM service :lease:

I started a thread on the Sky HD forum entitled "Ditching Sky for Virgin" and I've had nothing but negative comments about VM on there :rolleyes:

I'm getting my VM stuff fitted on Monday. I'm having the XL TV package and V+ box and an extra box in the bedroom. With the 4mb BB and ev/weekend phone package I'll be paying £45 a month in total. (I know I've got to pay £150 for the V+ box, but the sale of my Sky HD would go a long way towards paying that, possibly).

I currently have Sky HD + multiroom + Sky Sports + Setanta + NTL/VM broadband. That little lot costs me £93 per month, + my BT line rental :eek:

I don't watch much sport but like to watch LFC games, but as the LFC channel is coming to Setanta (Free on VM) I won't need Sky Sports.

So, I'm going from £93 a month to just £45 and I'll have everything I want. I can even keep my Sky boxes of which two are in the kids bedrooms, to use as freeview boxes. I thought it was a bit of a no brainer really, but then all I've heard since is how wonderful sky is, and how rubbish VM is, in comparison.

Someone please reassure me that VM wil be OK. I know I can always go back to Sky, but I'd like to give VM the benefit of the doubt.

Phil

2. aspendl828

aspendl828

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes, I am very happy with what I get and what I pay.

I've had NTL Broadband for some time and a few months ago realised what I could save if I took the 2 for £20 and had the phone package as well. I had a few problems getting the phone and the free TV package that came with it to work but once it is working it works very well.

Since then I've taken a £10 a month SIM and also upgraded to the XL TV package with a V+ box.

Both the SIM and the V+ was sorted without a hitch and is working perfectly and the porting of my previous mobile was really easy.

The key is not to let the engineer go until everything actually works. Once he's gone you will struggle to get things sorted out but, as I say, once it's working it works well.

Good Luck!

3. deantown

deantown
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,579
    phil, i am with virgin i have the xl package broadband and phone all for £51 i am absolutely delighted with my package the broadband is great my phonecalls are free and the virgin + is so good its brilliant . i dont know why people moan about virgin all the time i have not had a problem with any of their services . maybe im lucky . hope this helps . by the way my missus could not use a video or dvd player but she has taken to v+ like a duck to water :clap::clap::clap:

4. Jayceef1

Jayceef1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The problem with forums is that they tend to be the place where those that are unhappy with their services (whatever the topic) complain and let off steam. Not many people just post to say "i'm happy with everything" unless responding to a question such as this.

All I can say is that i have been with Telewest/VM since the 90s and am now on a VIP package for phone/TV & BB. I have not had any major issues with any of their services (I think I lost phone service twice in that time) and have always received very good customer service so am very happy with VM.

I did have $ky+ as well for a year until the V+ box came out and overall prefer V+ for ease of use (but each to their own). My only wish would be for more broadcast HD content.

5. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Thanks for the replies guys, I'm feeling better about it already :smashin:

Any more praises for VM would still be appreciated ;)

Phil

6. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    That is so very true.

7. WGLOVER

WGLOVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I have the full works with Virgin and am very satisfied.
    Could not live without the Virgin+ box.
    Look forward to ITV going HD, if, as likely, it comes on Virgin next spring.:thumbsup:

8. Plasmoo

Plasmoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have had it for two weeks now & have to say I think it's great & the HD, well this is what it's all about. Recording two progs at once is very handy & after you have recorded you can transfer to your DVD recorder if you wish to keep the footage.

I like it but then I'm no football fan so I didn't want the HD sport but I hope Virgin will get more HD because it's amazing to watch.

9. Plasmoo

Plasmoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a question please.

When my V-box was connected to my old CRT before I got my Plasma I connected it all using scart cable & was able to record directly from the V-box out, bottom scart, into my DVD recorder in. Now I have the V-box connected to my TV via HDMi cable & also my DVD recorder the V-box no longer allows me to record from the bottom scart directly into my DVD.

Virgin have told me that when the V-box is switched over to HDMi in the menue the scart out no longer works but will work if I go to the V-box recordings & select "Copy to DVD" it will record from the scart out to my DVD.

Is this the way the it all works or should I be able to record live TV using the scart into my dvd recorder even when the box is set to hdmi output ??

Hope that makes sence:eek:

Cheers

10. chris57

chris57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Its like most things depends on what your priorites are.

If its downloading a lot then you wont be happy with Virgins throttling. If its HD content then there's very little but then again where is there a lot in the UK. From the picture that youve painted you should be happy.

I loved Virgins 10mb/s service. Virgins 20mb/s service was enough to make me change though. Paying for 100% (20mb/s) and getting 25% (5mb/s throttling) is not good enough:thumbsdow

11. Bawbagg

Bawbagg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been a Telewest/VM subscriber for 8 years. I have no interest in moving to Sky. I think I'm qualified to give a fair review of VM. I'm currently on the VIP package. V+, extra box, 20MB broadband + phone + call packages + Sky movies + sports. At 85 quid, It's a bargain, that's for sure.

V+ is extremely poor in my opinion. The interface is nothing short of appalling. You'll find it brutally slow to the point of being almost unusable compared with Sky. Series link is ropey - they seem to miss a lot of series. Foretunately I didn't get it for the PVR (I have a topfield which takes care of that very nicely). I got V+ for the HD. Once you've flicked through the on-demand stuff, and watched a couple of things on BBC HD, I think you might realise you made a mistake. There's next to *no* HD content.

I'll stick with VM, 'cos they're so cheap. And the 20MB broadband is very good. Technically, they have a far superior solution to Sky. However the content is woeful. Maybe one day, when the content is there, I'll sing it's praises. Until then, unless you get it in the package, it's a complete waste of money. Sorry.

[edit]forgot to mention..... the HDD in the box is also very noisy. Much more so than the HDD in my topfield. Dunno how it compares to Sky HD in that department[/edit]

BB

12. alienandy

alienandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am extremely happy with Virgin Media services. My V+ box is the dogs bits as far as I'm concerned. $ky+ pales in comparison. VOD on $ky is nothing compared to Virgin's VOD, and what of Setanta? £10 subs on $ky, NOTHING on Virgin's XL package. A dream for all footy fans ( like me ). HD content is limited to one channel, but to be perfectly honest I don't give a damn at present as the SD picture is superb, and I want choice before HD. The ability to pause live tv is something that I'd never thought I'd use, but I am ALWAYS using it!! Miss a goal? Just rewind!

Mate, you are on to a winner. Like someone on here has already said, you will always get the people complaining about a service whether it be Virgin or $ky, but as long as your installation goes without any hitches ( like most people ) and your equipment is working perfectly, you will LOVE IT!

:thumbsup:

13. Yokomo

Yokomo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I believe that if you just want TV (Especially sports) then SKY is the way to go. BUT....... If you want an overally package (BB, Phone and TV) VM is far superior.

I am very happy with VM, the TV XL package is superb (for the money im paying), the BB is so consistent and the phone means i dont have to give BT any money! Oh...and V+ is ace!

14. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Thankyou all once again for your opinions :)

I've had Sky+ for a few years so it'll be interesting to compare it to V+. I do like the EPG on Sky and the ease of use, but it has not been without it's problems.

I had a Sky+ 160 box which was noisier and less reliable than the standard Sky+ box. I then had the HD box, which is great for HD stuff, when you can find some, but it is even noisier and suffers occasional picture juddering and lip synch problems, as well as failing to record stuff for unknown reasons. I've not been very happy with the HD box at all.

Phil

15. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I've been a NTL/Virgin customer for 5+ years. When Virgin took over I found, with a package change, that my monthly bills were down from over £60 to just over £20. I'm not a heavy phone user during the day. I have the L tv service as I didn't want to pay for loads of channels I never watch although I do miss the National Geographic channels. I'm not a sports fan and only occasionally watch movies on demand. The Free on Demand services are an absolute dream for me although I do have a Humax box as well.

I can understand why people might miss Sky 1, but Sky sports news,Sky 3 and Sky news are available on Freeview so why do some people winge that they cannot get them on VirginMedia?

The 2 Meg broadband is consistant and delivers what it says on the tin, unlike phone line services. I've had a couple of box problems, but these were put right in less than 24 hours. When I changed packages they put in a modem alongside my Samsung box,without my having to ask.

Occasional broadband disconnects due to power loss or whatever have been very rare. Call to the service help are fairly prompt if you phone at an off peak time of day. Indian operators are patient and helpful although I have had to ask them to slow their speech down a bit.

Sometimes menus can be a bit infuriating and could be better arranged. If a full time BBC and Channel 4 HD service comes on line next year then I might consider the switch to a V+ box. At the moment I find my Sony LCD makes good work of the key TV channels from the Samsung. I certainly wouldn't want to go HD if all there is on offer is a lot of rubbish US programmes. It appears that ITV have little or no interest (or money) to go down the HD route. I would also like to feel a few more bugs have been ironed out of the V+ box.

No reasons to change,but I do agree that sports fans might want a bit more.

16. Plasmoo

Plasmoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    With regards to the noise the V-box makes (Light Buzzing) I have sorted this out buy simply gluing a small round rubber foot on each of the round feet on the bottom of the unit. If you go to your local DiY place you can buy some felt type round sticky tabs that will do the same job.

It almost cuts out all the V-Box buzzing :smashin:

Job done

17. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57

Good tip, although I do that with all my equipment anyway, as the feet that come as standard on a lot of the stuff are crap. I use quite large soft rubber stick-on feet that help with noise, vibration and heat dissipation.

ps. you keep referring to the box as the V-box. Do you mean V+ or is there a different one??

18. wynne_g_oldman

wynne_g_oldman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm extremely happy with my service. I have the 3 for £30 package, with XL TV, and free Setanta Sport. I have a V+ box in the front room and a standard box in the back room, for an extra £20 a month. I think that the V+ box is a fantastic piece of kit. SD picture quality is great though HDMI , I couldn't go back to SCART on my 32" LCD. The record 2 channels while watching another feature is something that I thought that I'd never use, but now I use it all the time. The V+ box has changed the way I watch TV. I just watch what I want, when I want to. My HDD always seems to be half full of stuff. I've been a Nynex, Telewest, NTL, VM customer for about 10 years, and in that time have had five new boxes due to upgrade or fault. If there's a problem with any of your kit, it all gets replaced for free, by an engineer, however long you've had it.

19. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    True but its throttled (for a peak period per day) not capped and I know which one I'd rather have out of the two. I just set my big dls up out of peak. Anyway the likelyhood of ever getting your full dl bw off of one connection is a bit iffy anyway as you're dl speed is dependent on how quick it can dish the data out anyway and if its peer to peer stuff then the situation is even worse.

20. chris57

chris57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    If you use Newsgroups it will max out your 20mb/s service every time with a good provider. Peak to Virgin is 4-12 i.e. 1/3 of a day!:eek:

21. Trent.

Trent.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Another happy with virgin over here!
    I have had bb and phone from ntl for years and only switched from sky tv (due to their 'could'nt care less about a long term 16yr customer' attitude) to virgin tv v+ about 6 months ago, and i must say after getting used to no sky one it is excellent.
    The pic on my 42" lcd from the v+ box is very good.:thumbsup:

22. old grumpy

old grumpy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn’t be rushing to join us poor sods at Virgin. I know I could get a better deal from Sky at the moment. As stated before by others, Virgin / NTL customer remains – crap? The loss of terrestrial programs to Sky One (Prison Break on Channel 5) and Mr Branson’s unilateral decision to pull the plug on Sky One shows how vulnerable Virgin can be to the whims of Sky. I am only hanging on for the Broadband at the moment, but my patience is wearing thin!

23. ArtfulOwl

ArtfulOwl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No, wish I could move

24. chumley1

chumley1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have stayed with VM.... for the moment only. I have HD V+ (2 HD boxes 1 std) sports/movies 10MB internet u/l telephone from them but they have discounted it so it's not a bad deal (approx £73). I am able to get SKY half price as my work is linked to them but I have held off from changing from virgin to sky for a couple of reasons.
    1. I don't like the idea of having to pay TWO HD subscriptions (with SKY) - one for upstairs and one for down.
    2. I don't want to pay BT £130 approx for them to put me an up-to-date line in.
    3. I don't fancy the idea of having to change email address with banks and other official places form the virgin one (there are alot of places lol)
    4. Setanta with virgin is free while I have sky sports.... for the moment at least :eek: lol
    5. I have also heard a rumour.... and it is only a rumour that virgin media may be up for sale.... woo hoo in my view if it is lol
    6. I also am not keen on having to buy all the boxes with sky which for 3 of them would be quite costly

25. andyUK101

andyUK101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +456
    I recently moved house and left behind Sky HD + Sky broadband Max (£63.50 per month)

I have the basic VM service at the minute, TV L and 2MB broadband

First impression of VM was very poor , took over 1 month to get the cable line working - engineers kept putting cards through the door saying it would be fixed soon and there was nothing they could do

The interface is horrendous and the lag when changing channels is annoying beyond belief

Broadband is slow for a 2mb line but havent had any problems with dropouts

on a plus note the SD picture quality can be awesome - the England Vs RSA game looked as good as some of the HD sports channels on Sky

Havent bothered with the V+ box as the content available doesnt justify it for me

26. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    the weak link with Virgin is the tv package. The V+ BOX is fine in general and being able to record two and watch another is great. However in many recordings I had sound blips in recordings from February until I left in June. The funny thing was it seemed to occur when Virgin took over from Telewest who I was very happy with.
    The truth is content if you like HD is poor, and the on demand HD stuff is rarely updated, and what is there apart from BBC you have to pay for rather than skys one off monthly payment.

If you are a footy fan you lose out with virgin especially EPL and champs league. If your kids like the Simpsons with no sky 1 you may get some complaints. It now looks as though virgin will never get sky hd content.

To finish the broadband is top notch, the phone is ok, and the service for TV is getting slowly worse with no real investment to make it better apart from Virgin 1.

I am now glad after over a year to get back to Sky for TV as it is simply the best and my box is as quiet as a light on its feet mouse with slippers on.

27. chumley1

chumley1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree with the timing. When it was telewest I was very happy. Problems and service, it would appear, have deteriorated since VM took over. If I was making a choice without having either at present I would most likely go with Sky. As it is, I have the VM equipment in so I am not so keen to fork out £600 on 2 HD boxes + 2 lots of £10p.m. charges as opposed to just the one.

The route I am probably going to go down is keeping VM for my internet and phone and at some point bite the bullet on £600 seeing as I will be able to get the subscription 50% less.

All-in-all I feel it's a case of 'the devil and the deep blue sea' kind of scenario.

28. nicklone86

nicklone86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I'm paying £49.50 a month with...

-V+ Box
    -XL package
    -Sky Sports
    -Additional V Box
    -2meg BB
    -Evening & Weekends

I couldn't be happier. The V+ box is an astounding piece of kit, the broadband is very fast for 2meg and incredibly reliable. I've only ever had a problem with the phone line where our connection came loose at the box in the street but aside from that it's been excellent.

Couple of months ago I did a price check for the same on Sky and it was roughly £35 P.M more, Sky HD, additional box etc. The broadband is limited to 40GB or something. Where as VM is 100% unlimited. Perfect for online gaming :thumbsup: Had sky at my parents house from 1991 and since moving out last year and getting VM I've never looked back. Far better service, Much better Value for money. And not owned by a c***!

29. chumley1

chumley1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rolleyes: hmmmmm you sure? :laugh:

30. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Thanks for the further opinions :)

It seems to be a mixed reaction overall.

I'll find out for myself tomorrow when VM come to install my equipment.

I'll give my first impressions on here. I'm keeping my Sky HD for the moment so I'll have Sky+ & V+ boxes connected up at the same time, so I'll be able to do a direct comparison.

Phil.