1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone had trouble with this DVD...

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by the_pauley, May 8, 2005.

1. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I'm on my second copy of the James Dean movie "Giant" (Region 2). First copy froze on Chapter 19 and wouldn't move past that point, couldn't even access any chapters past 19 from the scene access menu.

Got my replacement copy from HMV today. Chapter 19 is OK, but on the second side of the disc (it's a 3 1/2 hour movie on a double sided disc with a second single sided disc containing the extras) there was occasional pixelization ending up in the movie stuttering and freezing badly from Chapters 46-53.

There isn't a mark or blemish on the disc and I've tried it in 2 players with the same result.

Has anyone else bought this disc and if so have you had any problems?

Also, if anyone has the Region 1 edition can you confirm that the movie is as DVD Soon states 2 single sided, dual layer discs, and not one double sided and one single sided? I know this type of information is not always accurate on suppliers' websites (for example Amazon UK states that the Region 2 copy is a 3 disc set which it is not).

Thanks

2. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Just had it confirmed by the manager in HMV that they've had shedloads of this disc coming back as faulty.

3. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Did he give any idea as to the extent of the production boob - it was going to be on the shelf by the end of the week (and with my record of not watching things for 6 months that could be a tough one to return)

Gary

4. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Exactly the problem I had. The first copy I had bought a few months before I watched it and couldn't find the receipt. Girl I'd never seen before was being really difficult until one of the guys recognised me as a regular.

Second copy was faulty too but I had the replacement receipt so got my money back on that. These two copies were supplied four or five months apart and faults were still there. All that the guy who served me this time said was that they'd had loads of them come back.

Especially worrying as the same fault was in different places on both copies. Bit of a chore to have to watch a 4 hour movie all the way through every time you get the replacement! :rolleyes:

I wonder if they have pressed fresh copies for the box set? Or even if the Region 1 copy is problem free.

5. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    thanks pualey, i might have to source one from overseas then and keep my fingers crossed.

Gary

6. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I've e-mailed Warner to check if they've rectified the copy of Giant that is included in the JD Box Set. Will post when I get a reply.