Anyone had this? British Airways check in

Economy, but this wouldn't have been a problem from heathrow.

so from Las Vegas to Heathrow was the upgrade that you wanted from Economy to Premium Economy or Economy to business

Did you get an upgrade on the outbound flight from Heathrow to Las Vegas

so from Las Vegas to Heathrow was the upgrade that you wanted from Economy to Premium Economy or Economy to business

Did you get an upgrade on the outbound flight from Heathrow to Las Vegas

Vegas to heathrow ideally economy to business. We decided not to from heathrow as we felt it might be a nicest way to end the holiday. We could have though.

Hiya,

Just my wife and I. Both 30s (respectable-ish!)

Cost wise: at heathrow if would have been £699 each to upgrade to business one way. A fair bit cheaper than the £8000 I was quoted online when booking!
Oh, OK. That's blown up two of my best ideas!! :(

That just leaves the probability that BA didn't think it expedient to downgrade the others after having told them they'd been upped. They might have been valuable customers (or a representative, such as the director of a big-spending company), or simply VIPs (by BA's definition).

Whatever, BA would certainly not have turned you down just because they didn't like you; but they do have the right to decide who to give their seats to, and how much to charge. It is in no way a reflection on you personally.

I think you'd have been lucky to get away with £700 each, though. That's the rough price of an upgrade to Premium Traveller.

Oh, OK. That's blown up two of my best ideas!! :(

That just leaves the probability that BA didn't think it expedient to downgrade the others after having told them they'd been upped. They might have been valuable customers (or a representative, such as the director of a big-spending company), or simply VIPs (by BA's definition).

Whatever, BA would certainly not have turned you down just because they didn't like you; but they do have the right to decide who to give their seats to, and how much to charge. It is in no way a reflection on you personally.

I think you'd have been lucky to get away with £700 each, though. That's the rough price of an upgrade to Premium Traveller.

Still confused why the others were upgraded AFTER we'd been told none were available (the three who were upgraded seemed very surprised!)

We were w surprised at the cost. From Heathrow, an upgrade per person to premium economy was £209 and to business was £699. A massive saving from booking it beforehand.

Sorry did you (OP) ask for a free upgrade or say you were willing to pay? The last few times we've been away at check-in we were told point blank that there are no free upgrades any more? (Both BA and Virgin)

On a different story when we went to Vegas 13 year ago I was sat in one of the hotels watching Lennox Lewis fitting on the big screen in the sports bar. So as the fight goes on I start shouting at the TV for Lewis to knock the other guy out. At the same time another group of English guys were doing the same thing (seemed we were the only English people watching this fight), so we got talking and it turned out they were Virgin cabin crew, so we talk some more and get onto what flight they will be on coming home. Turns out they were on our flight. Bonus I thought so said "so we'll be ok for an upgrade then" to which they said sure we'll keep a look out for you when you board. Thought no more of it, next day got on the plane sat in out economy seats and got ready to take off. Just after they shut the door one of the guys we meet the night before came over and said "get your things and follow me" which we duly did (everyone around us thought we were being chucked off :)), so of we went to some lovely large comfy chairs with loads of leg room better TV screens, better food, and so on. We hit the jackpot :thumbsup: When we got off I had around $80 left over so gave it the crew guy to have bet with next time he went back.

In over 20 years flying all over the world with the big airlines that was the one and only time we got upgraded :(

Sorry did you (OP) ask for a free upgrade or say you were willing to pay? The last few times we've been away at check-in we were told point blank that there are no free upgrades any more? (Both BA and Virgin)

On a different story when we went to Vegas 13 year ago I was sat in one of the hotels watching Lennox Lewis fitting on the big screen in the sports bar. So as the fight goes on I start shouting at the TV for Lewis to knock the other guy out. At the same time another group of English guys were doing the same thing (seemed we were the only English people watching this fight), so we got talking and it turned out they were Virgin cabin crew, so we talk some more and get onto what flight they will be on coming home. Turns out they were on our flight. Bonus I thought so said "so we'll be ok for an upgrade then" to which they said sure we'll keep a look out for you when you board. Thought no more of it, next day got on the plane sat in out economy seats and got ready to take off. Just after they shut the door one of the guys we meet the night before came over and said "get your things and follow me" which we duly did (everyone around us thought we were being chucked off :)), so of we went to some lovely large comfy chairs with loads of leg room better TV screens, better food, and so on. We hit the jackpot :thumbsup: When we got off I had around $80 left over so gave it the crew guy to have bet with next time he went back.

In over 20 years flying all over the world with the big airlines that was the one and only time we got upgraded :(

That's a great story! (Who won the fight?)

I made it clear that I was looking to pay (prefaced it by clearly asking "how much would it be to pay for an upgrade?") I would never ask for a free upgrade-would feel v. cheeky doing so and doesn't sit quite right with me (at the risk of starting a different debate!)

Maybe they assign a certain number of seats for upgrades as part of a 'marketing budget'.

I can imagine it works wonders in keeping frequent flyers coming back to the airline.

Or simply your line was not aware of the vacancies.

I'm sure it was not personal. Staff won't have that flexibility.

Lots of factors involved here to determine why the couple after you got upgraded whilst yourself did not. The couple could have been travelling on a higher class fare than yourself eg. Premium Economy and would have priority over regular economy fare holders. The airline would have processed their upgrade even before arrival at the airport. They could be a higher tiered Executive Club member and would also have had priority.

I see some people say you should be better dressed. It's a complete myth that if you are well dressed that you have a better the chance of an upgrade, in a lot of cases the airline would probably turn you down.

That's a great story! (Who won the fight?)

I made it clear that I was looking to pay (prefaced it by clearly asking "how much would it be to pay for an upgrade?") I would never ask for a free upgrade-would feel v. cheeky doing so and doesn't sit quite right with me (at the risk of starting a different debate!)

lol.... Lewis won. Surprised they didn't offer an upgrade when offering to pay? Maybe its offered to BA club members first or something? Anyway I suspect it would have been the price of your return ticket :eek:

other factors that qualify for a upgrade is if they had a family that wanted 3 seats together and the plane was full in Economy or Premium Economy they would upgrade 2+1 to business rather than put a family in business especially if the family contained young children or babies

I see some people say you should be better dressed. It's a complete myth that if you are well dressed that you have a better the chance of an upgrade, in a lot of cases the airline would probably turn you down.

It isn't a myth at all. I used to fly to New York regularly. Always paid economy and asked for a free upgrade. Got one about 30% of the time.
Once a friend checked in and was asked if they had any other smarter clothes as they could be upgraded if so.

Getting a free upgrade was a major way to pass the time while at the airport. Managed to get pre- flight dining once as well.

I was on a company away trip to Malta and at the check in desk on the return journey the airline (think it was BA) had overbooked by one seat. They were asking for volunteers for someone to stay behind for the next flight about 4 or 5 hours later, with about £300 compensation.

For whatever reason, none of my colleagues were interested in staying behind (would have meant having to find their own way home from Gatwick in middle of night) and as I only had hand luggage I went for it, £300 is £300.

I was made to wait for an hour or so in the check in area without my colleagues, then a call over the tannoy came in asking for me: turns out they did have a seat in business class so I could fit on the flight after all.

Had to walk past all my colleagues in the economy queue as I boarded first, then they all walked past me as I sat with a smug look and a glass of bubbly. To be fair, I think I would have preferred the £300, especially as they all called me "Business Class Ben" for a couple of weeks! :D

It isn't a myth at all. I used to fly to New York regularly. Always paid economy and asked for a free upgrade. Got one about 30% of the time.
Once a friend checked in and was asked if they had any other smarter clothes as they could be upgraded if so.

Getting a free upgrade was a major way to pass the time while at the airport. Managed to get pre- flight dining once as well.

Depends on what your friend was wearing at the time I guess. I'm not saying you shouldn't be dressed well but if you're turning up at the check in desk wearing shorts and flip flops or dressed like a tramp and asking for an upgrade then you probably won't get one anyway. Likewise if you're all suited and booted it doesn't necessarily mean that it will give you a better chance of a free upgrade. Dress smart by all means but it is a myth if you think dressing well gives you any sort of authority for a free upgrade.

Clothing has no bearing. It's quite often decided before they even look at you.

Flying Club status helps and you are more likely to be upgraded for operational reasons if you are a lone traveller with no meal preferences.

An operational upgrade is where they have oversold economy seats and select customers to upgrade.
It's happened to me twice on my last 2 trips to the states, wearing jeans and a tshirt both times.

It sounds as if you were on a full flight, so no availability to upgrade at the airport. BA sometimes offer you reduced upgrades online when you check in. Whenever I've travelled alone I've declined this in the hope of a freebie and achieved it in the last 2 (out of 4 flights). Wouldn't have bothered me if I didn't get it and certainly not something I would have paid for. NYC is a short hop, might feel different about the West coast though :)

its just there upgrade had been pre booked, but now i know never to use the normal check outs and go straight to the first class counter

best thing about first class 95kg of luggage quality :)

My guess on this, the passengers had been pre-seated on the flight. This is where all the seats are allocated to passengers prior to them checking in for the flight. This couple got upgraded in pre-seating, so when check-in desk looks to see availability for higher class seats the computer system shows none. You see the couple come up to check in and, because they have been pre-seated in the higher class, they get told they have been upgraded.

Just a guess though.

My ex fiancé was BA Cabin crew and I therefore regularly got upgraded. I would actually just pay £70 for standby tickets and then end up in club class but I was always told to wear trousers and smart shirt.
One time, on our way back from Orlando, it was overbooked and I was about to be left at the airport whilst my fiancé went without me. Then at the last minute they said they had found me a seat in…………..the flight deck, behind the Captain. :thumbsup:This was obviously all pre 9-11.

My ex fiancé was BA Cabin crew and I therefore regularly got upgraded. I would actually just pay £70 for standby tickets and then end up in club class but I was always told to wear trousers and smart shirt.
One time, on our way back from Orlando, it was overbooked and I was about to be left at the airport whilst my fiancé went without me. Then at the last minute they said they had found me a seat in…………..the flight deck, behind the Captain. :thumbsup:This was obviously all pre 9-11.

Reminds me of when I was a child. The stewardesses used to invite me into the cockpit to talk to the captain (the benefit of puppy fat and bright blond hair!) I remember one time coming out when a boldly middle aged man said "I want to do that too." The slightly overwhelmed stewardess agreed and the last I saw of him was marching into the cockpit saying 'now then captain.' A different and safer age, one where we were all more trusting.

BA will now allow you (at the captains discretion) to visit the cockpit whilst on the ground. It is only whilst airborne that this is outlawed, for obvious reasons.

That decision came about from BA bosses feeling that more customer interaction was needed with the captain and they launched some fancy PR campaign 'beyond the flight deck' to improve passenger experience. I still remember visiting the flight deck as a child, so nice to know its still possible!

I flew with a friend who was a gold club flying member once. There was four of us and all four of us had economy tickets. When we checked in they upgraded all four of us simply becuase he was a gold member.
So it could be that the two people infront checked in online as economy but when they saw they were higher tiered members they got allocated better seats.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom