Anyone had this? British Airways check in

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JamesP1701, Aug 31, 2013.

1. JamesP1701

JamesP1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +464
    Hi all,

Wonder if anyone can shed light. We were checking in to BA for our trip hole from vegas to Heathrow.

I thought I'd enquire about upgrading as a last flourish and treat (and had been told it was possible on our outbound trip.) The agent at the check in desk said none was available. As we were being sorted out by him, a couple and an individual at the kiosk next to us were told they had been upgraded.

I can't help but feel lied to by the rep. I did ask if he could confirm and his senior colleague near him confirmed that 'no upgrades were available.'

Feel really annoyed. If not possible to upgrade absolutely fine, but I don't understand what's going on here.

2. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,271
    Maybe they'd had the last seats? There are only so many to go around.

3. JamesP1701

JamesP1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +464
    My point though is that we were the first to queue and the first to ask. We'd been told no. It was only after then that the other people were upgraded.

4. Bill Hicks

Bill Hicks
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,590
    Should have flown with Virgin or an American carrier. BA suck imo.

5. EarthRod

EarthRod
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,682
    There are other factors.

My company used BA all the time and one particular year I did 8 trips overseas. The last trip on the return journey I checked in at the BA desk only to be told I'd been upgraded to first class and go and check in at the first class desk!

I found out later my boss had rang BA and upgraded my return journey as a thank you for the work I'd done.

Something similar might have happened to the people you saw being upgraded at the check-in desk next to yours.

6. Cliff

Cliff
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,949
    That is probably what happened. They had been upgraded and were only told at the desk.
    It happened to my wife 3 days ago. She had an economy ticket. When she went to check in on line she couldn't get a seat. After a quick call she was informed she had been upgraded because she is a very frequent flyer.

The people you thought had jumped the queue had probably already got their seat.

7. bluedroog

bluedroog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    We're you dressed smartly? How were they dressed? It can make a difference.

8. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,462
    Not clear - were you asking for a free upgrade or offering to pay for it.

If the latter it is a bit strange but if the former there are all sorts of other factors (like how frequently you travel, what you are dressed like, did you have children). Obviously they are going to say "sorry you not an important customer, sorry you aren't dressed well enough for first class, sorry our paying first class customers won't appreciate your children". It is a lot easier and non-confrontational for them to say that there aren't any.

Cheers,

Nigel

9. eob

eob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    On a recent flight to Korea, a business colleague and I were travelling business and he got upgraded to first because they had overbooked business class.
    I was gutted but the stewardess let me go up and join him after the meal service.
    It was down to the fact that he had Silver membership and I only had bronze that he got chosen over me so she said.

10. Begonia

Begonia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +647
    If they are going to offer an upgrade or upgrades then there must only be a finite number of seats available.

Q. So how to get rid of them?

A. Give them to one of the desks.

I am so sad it wasn't your desk.

Tips for next time: Dress smartly and only travel on your wife's birthday. Tell them about this at the desk. If this fails tell them Begonia said it was OK to do you both an upgrade if there are two available. :)

11. DPinBucks

DPinBucks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,930
    Upgrading policy is tricky.

The OP doesn't say what class he was booked in, nor what class he wanted to upgrade to. He also doesn't say how many were in his party compared with the three who were upgraded.

My guess is as stated above: the trio had already been upgraded by Flight Control before they turned up. Although these days you are offered a choice of seats during online check-in, passengers are still pre-allocated seats when the flight opens, and it is then that authorised upgrades are dealt with.

If he was prepared to pay the full whack, then there is no way BA would have turned him down if there was space, no matter how they were dressed (you only have to look at some of the 'real' First Class passengers to realise that).

Even though it costs very little more to actually carry a First Class passenger than a Traveller, you don't give free upgrades willy-nilly. It upsets the full fare-paying passengers for a start, and makes people tend to book lower down in the expectation of an upgrade. Frequent fliers are rarely offered upgrades except in overbooking situations; they are expected to use their accumulated frequent flier miles.

=== EDIT ===
    The OP also doesn't say, or even whether he knew, what class the others were being upgraded to, nor, as I say, what class he was asking for. Assuming he was offering to pay, then if they were going to First, say, and he wanted Club, then the only reason BA would have turned him down would be that Club was overbooked. But it might have been that they were upgraded to First and he wanted Traveller Plus.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  12. huntere

huntere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Flights are often over booked. As such upgrades become necessary. These always go to frequent flyers first. This could have been the case.
    Also there are multiple fare classes even within economy, some will not be upgraded.
    I wouldn't feel aggrieved or lied to. Upgrades are rare and rightly French preserved for frequent flyers. I don't think you were lied to it s just there weren't any upgrades for you ths time.

13. indianwells

indianwells

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    I tend to pay for the cabin I want to be in at the time of booking, and treat anything else as a bonus. That way I am never disappointed.

14. Stuey1

Stuey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,131
    In fairness to the op, it does appear from his post that he was willing to pay for the upgrade as per the highlighted part above...

I can only imagine it was because there was no room left in the class you wanted to upgrade to, I would try not to take it personally

15. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,299
    I pay for the cabin I can afford and always want to be in another. :D

16. indianwells

indianwells

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    That's true!:laugh:

17. JamesP1701

JamesP1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +464
    Hi,

No made it clear to the desk we were asking to pay for an upgrade.

18. JamesP1701

JamesP1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +464
    Hi,

Should clarify, I was looking to upgrade from economy to business (which would have been possible on the outward flight.) The other customers were upgraded to business.

19. vinny41

vinny41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    there must have been no seats available I noticed when you book online with BA normally you are sent an email at least once a week to remind you that upgrades are possible also we you re-check in online it is possible to upgrade at the point

20. JamesP1701

JamesP1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +464
    Except I am still confused as to why people were upgraded after we were told there were no upgrades available. I think it's a lack of transparency that is a bit confusing.

21. vinny41

vinny41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    its possible they request the upgrade when they either check in online or re-confirmed their flights

If there was a way for Willie Walsh to extract more money from you he would have taken it

22. DPinBucks

DPinBucks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,930
    OK, that makes it a bit more difficult to figure. You haven't said how many were in your party. If it were 4 or more, then it might simply have been that there weren't enough seats. Other than that, I can think of two possibilities:
    • (The most likely) The three had already been upgraded, so that seat availability showed full. BA could still have downgraded them if they wanted, but for whatever reason decided not to.
    • (And please don't be offended by this: it's purely hypothetical) Whilst dress code has no impact on Club availability, did your group include small children? It might have been that BA decided that the potential loss of revenue through passenger complaints about noisy kids on a long night flight outweighed the up-front revenue of a few one-way Club seats. Not an attractive attitude, I grant you, but commercially realistic, and they have the perfect right to do it.
    By the way, I don't know if you costed it beforehand, but you do realise don't you that the one-way Club fare LAS-LHR is about $9,300 per person?

23. JamesP1701

JamesP1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +464
    Hiya,

Just my wife and I. Both 30s (respectable-ish!)

Cost wise: at heathrow if would have been £699 each to upgrade to business one way. A fair bit cheaper than the £8000 I was quoted online when booking!

24. vinny41

vinny41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Were you in Economy or Premium Economy

25. JamesP1701

JamesP1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +464
    Economy, but this wouldn't have been a problem from heathrow.

26. vinny41

vinny41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    so from Las Vegas to Heathrow was the upgrade that you wanted from Economy to Premium Economy or Economy to business

Did you get an upgrade on the outbound flight from Heathrow to Las Vegas

27. JamesP1701

JamesP1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +464
    Vegas to heathrow ideally economy to business. We decided not to from heathrow as we felt it might be a nicest way to end the holiday. We could have though.

28. DPinBucks

DPinBucks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,930
    Oh, OK. That's blown up two of my best ideas!! :(

That just leaves the probability that BA didn't think it expedient to downgrade the others after having told them they'd been upped. They might have been valuable customers (or a representative, such as the director of a big-spending company), or simply VIPs (by BA's definition).

Whatever, BA would certainly not have turned you down just because they didn't like you; but they do have the right to decide who to give their seats to, and how much to charge. It is in no way a reflection on you personally.

I think you'd have been lucky to get away with £700 each, though. That's the rough price of an upgrade to Premium Traveller.

29. JamesP1701

JamesP1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +464
    Still confused why the others were upgraded AFTER we'd been told none were available (the three who were upgraded seemed very surprised!)

We were w surprised at the cost. From Heathrow, an upgrade per person to premium economy was £209 and to business was £699. A massive saving from booking it beforehand.

30. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,026
    Sorry did you (OP) ask for a free upgrade or say you were willing to pay? The last few times we've been away at check-in we were told point blank that there are no free upgrades any more? (Both BA and Virgin)

On a different story when we went to Vegas 13 year ago I was sat in one of the hotels watching Lennox Lewis fitting on the big screen in the sports bar. So as the fight goes on I start shouting at the TV for Lewis to knock the other guy out. At the same time another group of English guys were doing the same thing (seemed we were the only English people watching this fight), so we got talking and it turned out they were Virgin cabin crew, so we talk some more and get onto what flight they will be on coming home. Turns out they were on our flight. Bonus I thought so said "so we'll be ok for an upgrade then" to which they said sure we'll keep a look out for you when you board. Thought no more of it, next day got on the plane sat in out economy seats and got ready to take off. Just after they shut the door one of the guys we meet the night before came over and said "get your things and follow me" which we duly did (everyone around us thought we were being chucked off :)), so of we went to some lovely large comfy chairs with loads of leg room better TV screens, better food, and so on. We hit the jackpot :thumbsup: When we got off I had around $80 left over so gave it the crew guy to have bet with next time he went back.

In over 20 years flying all over the world with the big airlines that was the one and only time we got upgraded :(