Anyone had the snip?

Sample given. That was a strange experience. Fingers crossed!

It was the dvd remote in a sandwich bag which did it for me. Can never look at one now without flashbacks.

Consultant called me the other day and booked me in for 5th February. How painful is the procedure? He told me on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being unbearable pain) most blokes usually say around a 1 or 2. My mate had the snip a few months ago around the same time he had some dental work done and said the injection was 10 times worse than those in his mouth! I'm 100% certain on having it done I'm just really not looking forward to having it done!

Zero pain during the op.

Obviously! I meant when he sticks me with the needle 😭
A couple of seconds of discomfort with a very short, sharp pain. About the same as when you give blood (if you've got that as a point of reference) but it's obviously in your ballsack instead of your arm.

Really not that bad at all in the big scheme of things and from my point of view, considerably better than having a 4th child.

Didn't really mind the needle, I'd say a 1 or 2 out of 10 is about right.

Once that had kicked in, couldn't feel any of the rummaging about, slitting the sac and only a tiny bit of the tugging of the tubes.

Didn't really mind the needle, I'd say a 1 or 2 out of 10 is about right.

Once that had kicked in, couldn't feel any of the rummaging about, slitting the sac and only a tiny bit of the tugging of the tubes.

This. I think the sound was more off-putting than the actual 'feel' (given that there isn't any). I remember it sounding like I'd imagine uncooked spaghetti being snipped would sound. It made me feel a bit nauseous, but I'm a bit odd that way;
See loads of blood/ guts = meh, not fussed
Watch my daughter have blood taken = feeling faint :rotfl:

Not to put you off but I felt one side being stitched up. Wasn’t pleasant but I’d still choose to have it done over my wife being on contraception or just hoping a swimmer doesn’t make it through.

I’m the same @Doug the D, I can see other people get mangled but if it’s me I can’t take it. I give blood and have to look away when they stick me and while blood is being taken.

@KyleS1 that’s one of the reasons I’m having the snip. Happy with my boy and girl and it’s not fair the Mrs being on the pill etc. for the rest of her life.

Still bobbing my pants though!

It’s such a common procedure you’ve got very little to worry about. The majority is just the unknown and anticipation.

I took an iPod in with me and explained I was a big baby and that I would be grateful if they just got on with it and just let me know at important points.
Tiny discomfort when the injections happened and heard nothing thanks to the iPad apart from the all done !
Was surprised it was done so quickly.
As I have said many times in this thread, no regrets !

I think this is a good thread for people to talk about their experiences and air the worries they have about the procedure so that people can reassure. However I also find it bizarre (I know, why read it then... I am weird I guess!) how much men worry about this procedure.

Given the risk to the woman in our lives health if they are on the pill once they are over 40 to me its a no brainer. My wife has taken care of the contraception in our relationship for the near 20yrs we have been together and in that time she has experienced all manner of different hormonal imbalances that have left her at times depressed and rather irrational and yet despite that she has continued to do it so we can enjoy our life as a couple ;).

The snip procedure is not pain free and I believe for the few mins it is ongoing there will be a certain amount of pain and discomfort along with a certain amount of recovery time and pain but in the grand scheme of things it is minimal and relatively painless.

Us men just need to cowboy up and get on with it... For me, I am planning on having this done this year and I am looking forward to getting it done as it will mean my wife can be free from having to worry about if she has taken the pill as well as worrying about her long term health.

To save me reading through 25 pages is there a post which details the procedure and experience pretty accurately, thinking aba asking the doc if i can get one

To save me reading through 25 pages is there a post which details the procedure and experience pretty accurately, thinking aba asking the doc if i can get one

GP will refer you, questions, questions, information, information - are you sure?

Procedure is quite informal and may be done in a doctor's room or similar.
Strip off clothes and pop on bed, cover bits with a paper towel.
Local anaesthetic
Doctor makes a small incision, pulls out tube, cauterizes tube - and repeat.

Some people experience no pain during procedure, I had some painful discomfort - but it's quite a short procedure.

I then had two days bed rest, the swelling and discomfort got better over the next 5 days.

Last edited:
GP will refer you, questions, questions, information, information - are you sure?

Local anaesthetic
Doctor makes a small incision, pulls out testicle and tubes, cauterizes tube - and repeat.

Some people experience no pain during procedure, I had some painful discomfort - but it's quite a short procedure.

I then had two days bed rest, the swelling and discomfort got better over the next 5 days.
Thanks a lot mate.

Local anaesthetic
Doctor makes a small incision, pulls out testicle and tubes, cauterizes tube - and repeat.

Are you sure they pull out the testicle! I’m pretty sure it’s just the tube.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom