Anyone had the snip?

Lusankya

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Seriously thinking about getting this done.

Whats it like? How long are you laid up? Anyone have any complications? Anyone had a reversal? Do you regret it?
Is there any difference to the output afterwards etc.

Whats it like? How long are you laid up? Anyone have any complications? Anyone had a reversal? Do you regret it?
Is there any difference to the output afterwards etc.
Have a search here for Vasectomy...

Been thinking the same, have 5 boys 100% don't want any more but the thought of doing it scares the s**t out of me [emoji23]

Anal

Leave before the morning

Or in other words

Screenshot_20170923-073000_01.png

Whats it like? - that depends on how comfortable you are having your danglies out in front of other people? My surgeon was a male and there was a female assistant. It doesn't really bother me but you are stripped from the waist down and obviously she/he see everything and have a good old play about with them.

The worst part is the needle going in for the anaesthetic, it does hurt but only for a second or so, whole process took about 40 minutes during which we had a lovely chat about life whilst my withered bits (cold room ) were chopped.

How long are you laid up? - I had it done on a Friday afternoon, went back to work on the Tuesday which was too soon with hindsight as I was sat in meetings most of the day struggling to get comfortable due to the aching and swelling.

I had to have a couple of stitches each side which caused me more swelling, the only thing I would say is everyone seems to be different. Some people claim to be back up and running after a couple of days, for me it was 6 / 7 days until I felt comfortable but I did have some aching for a couple of weeks afterwards.

Anyone have any complications? - just the stitches causing more swelling / aching

Anyone had a reversal? - nope

Do you regret it? - absolutely not

Is there any difference to the output afterwards etc.- non whatsoever

Booked in for mine on Wednesday, we have 4 boys now, and after the 4th (who is now 4 months old) wasn't exactly planned, this gave the kick up the butt to get it done (should of done it years ago tbh!)
Don't get me wrong, i wouldn't change anything for the world, but this certainly made my mind up about getting "the job done"!
All i have been told at the Pre-op assesment is its about a half an hour procedure, and i need 4 days to "recover" and its all done under general Anaesthetic, so pretty much what @stetash has said above

Done it years ago, had to rest and have the boys well supported for a couple of days but all good. Need to use alternative contraceptive or abstain until you finally give a sample confirming the procedure worked.

Easy peasy. In and out of surgery in less than an hr. Went home made sure it still worked. No problems since ..

The best advice I can give is do not, under any circumstances, have it done under a local anaesthetic.

The best advice I can give is do not, under any circumstances, have it done under a local anaesthetic.
Don't be such as wuss, it doesn't hurt, my 4 yr nips harder than anything that happens during the op.

a study of 110 men ? Thats only slightly better than the mmr bullsh*t isnt it ?

Andrew Wakefields paper was based on 12 children, but that was the least of its problem. No ethics and false data were far greater problems...!

I've had a look at the paper and it does raise some concerns. The statistics are quite lacking.

The blogger incorrectly states that 'this created what is known as the P-value in statistics and this means there is clinically significant evidence to prove that vasectomy links men to a higher risk of PPA (a form of dementia)'. It doesn't. It just indicates whether the effect could be explained by chance alone. It doesn't actually state what the effect is or the size of the effect.

Thankfully with a little bit of maths you can calculate it. 19/47 PPA patients had vasectomy whilst 9/57 controls had vasectomy. (19*48)/(28*9) = 3.6. So having a vasectomy increases your risk of PPA by a factor of 3.6. (Quite how the paper got accepted without even reporting the Odds Ratio is quite worrying, but that's psychology journals for you....). However you want a measure of how accurate that estimate is, what we call the 95% confidence intervals. These are 1.44 -9.08. So the true estimate could range from only a 40% increase, to a 9 fold increase. It's so large because it's the discordant pairs that are important. In this study, you have on 9 control patients with vasectomy.

Furthermore, you want to control for things like age and medical history and all sorts to make sure the groups aren't different in other ways that could explain the increase in vasectomies in the PPA patients. The study does control for age, but not much else other than education. It also doesn't give the adjusted rate (3.6 is the unadjusted rate), and their 95% confidence intervals. The effect could get even less once you control for these factors. Again, lacking in any detail.

Basically IMO, for the blogger to conclude "the link to vasectomy is present and clear" is rather perplexing. Certainly could be a link, and does provide theoretical grounds for the biological mechanism, but the evidence is very weak and ambiguous. Need a much larger scale study controlling for more confounding effects to conclude anything either way....

Hope that psychology graduate improves her understanding of statistics before going to a PhD....!

Had mine done under local no probs, apart from the smell and the surgeon banging on about his new Porsche. He also insisted I checked out the bits he cut out!

Take the advice of 24hr bed rest afterwards. Had a mate who didn't his round bits ended up purple in colour & the size of footballs, and confined to bed for a week.

Eff'ing embarrassing taken in the samples to the clinic for the next couple of weeks :blush:

so bullsh*t then

Wouldn't go that far.

It still shows and increased risk. It warrants further study, which may or may not have been conducted. Haven't checked.

This response does a good job at highlighting some issues I've pointed out, and some other issues, such as sampling bias.

A critical analysis of the reported association between vasectomy and frontotemporal dementia

Funnily enough this is the exact type of research I used to work on at my previous job. Would be easy enough to investigate using the data collected by GP practices.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom