Anyone had ios 4.2 update problems?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by speccyfoureyes, Nov 26, 2010.

Tags:
  1. speccyfoureyes

speccyfoureyes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I connected my 2 year old ipod touch 2G to Itunes last week and was informed that ios 4.2 was available, so I clicked to accept the update, and let it do it's thing, 20 minutes or so later I had a dead ipod, took it to the 'genius's' at the local Apple store, who connected it to Itunes and informed me that they couldn't do anything with it (total genius!), but I could buy a recon touch for £63 or get 10% off a new one! I was not best pleased and took it home
    After a bit of research I then managed to get it going by installing some jailbreak software (green poison, and Redsnow) on my PC, letting them install the drivers, then running a recovery in 'DFU' mode, I am now reluctant to update again, the next time round, and am very unimpressed by Apple's customer service (lack of)

2. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    if it was out of warranty, they weren't likely to offer service for free, are they?

but this is the odd, that is just died 20 mins later

3. Music4ever

Music4ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I updated my 3g Touch last week without ant real issues.
    The process does take quite a time and I wonder if you removed the iPod before it was totally finished?

4. speccyfoureyes

speccyfoureyes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did wait while the ipod disconnected and reconnected to the PC and then left it as i have done in the past with previous updates, and it came up with a popup a few minutes later saying something like 'unable to restore backup'

I suppose I'm just expecting too much from Apple, I have a Toshiba TV which had an update overnight a few weeks ago, and it lost the digital tuner in the process, I purchased this just before the ipod, I rang Toshiba to enquire about a repair and they said it was a known issue and even though it was out of warranty they sent someone out free of charge a few days later and sorted it, top service!

5. Alladin

Alladin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problems with my iphone 4.
    After reading about some issue though, I did a full backup before, just in case!