anyone had any success with LC42xD1e

C

craigie

I am trying to set up my system with a Samsung 1080p7 upscaling DVD player and am having the following issues:

no audio when DVD set to bitstream I am certain this television can take a bit stream signal (am i missing a setting in the TV menu?)
when i plugged in my PS2 (composite connection to EXT3) and then changed the channel back to EXT1 (Virgin decoder box) the screen was red. Even after power down. I fixed this by going into the TV menu and changing the Decoder input to EXT2 and then back to EXT1
not certain if display is actually 1080p from DVD player. When DVD player is set to 1080i, the info display on the TV shows 1080i. when the DVD is set to 1080p, the info display on the TV shows 1080 (not 1080p) I am not convinced this is correct

Also, i have just discovered that Sharp UK do not have a technical support line. The best they can do is send out an Engineer (at cost)
How bloody Jurassic

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
there is an hdmi setup,in the menu,and im sure you can select analogue/digital audio(digital audio being the selection of choice with audio through hdmi), in there,along with input type,colour matrix,auto view,dynamic range,etc
it may not take a bitstream signal though,im not sure,and cant remember what my ps3 is set to,through hdmi either.

when i used the ps2,i had the red screen a couple of times,and how i stopped it was to use the composite with the scart block adaptor,that came with my ps2,and plugged it into EXT2..that scart is CVBS,and no red screen was displayed.
also,on the ps2,i did have that set to RGB.
i changed that,as well.

1080,is 1080p.it says,1920x1080..thats correct,for 1080p signals.
1920x1080i,as displayed on the tv,is interlaced.

C

craigie

there is an hdmi setup,in the menu,and im sure you can select analogue/digital audio(digital audio being the selection of choice with audio through hdmi), in there,along with input type,colour matrix,auto view,dynamic range,etc
it may not take a bitstream signal though,im not sure,and cant remember what my ps3 is set to,through hdmi either.

when i used the ps2,i had the red screen a couple of times,and how i stopped it was to use the composite with the scart block adaptor,that came with my ps2,and plugged it into EXT2..that scart is CVBS,and no red screen was displayed.
also,on the ps2,i did have that set to RGB.
i changed that,as well.

1080,is 1080p.it says,1920x1080..thats correct,for 1080p signals.
1920x1080i,as displayed on the tv,is interlaced.

Great info - finally someone with the same LCD
When you say you changed the PS2 from RGB, do you do this on the PS2?
I will try using the scart block in EXT2 set to CVBS
You are correct about the HDMI set up in the menu, although it only seems to allow the change to EXT5. I have the HDMI in EXT6 (as recommended by Sharp manual) EXT6 will not allow any changes to the HDMI set up.
This of course may be due to the fact that I am connected to EXT6 at the moment and that it is blocking changes for some reason (perhaps my HDMI cable is not good enough (Sainsburys £14.99)
I will change the HDMI to EXT5 and see if it will allow me to change the settings or indeed play the DVD with Bitstream.
Incidentally, do you remember with the old composite connection into EXT3 with the PS2 if you had a black band on the left of the screen?

Cheers (I am acronym-ed out)

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
yes,there is a selection in the ps2 settings,that lets you select the video output of it.
i had mine still set to RGB,but noticed that you couldnt play a dvd with the RGB scart,as it had a green screen,so i swapped to composite,for games and movies..i just couldnt be bothered swapping cables for different things.
Scart 2 on the sharp,is CVBS as standard.
EXT 5 is the one i use.,never tried 6.maybe 6 is recommended,as the settings can all be done from the dvd player/or whatever is input.
my hdmi cable-£1.99 from Sainsburys..
and yes,i had a slight band,down the side..never had it with RGB,though.
that was more centralised.
changing input on my old cable box,produced the same result(albeit,without the black band,as there is more overscan i assume on cable).
swap between composite,and RGB,on the old cable box,and the image would "jump" more to one side than the other,when swapping.

EDIT: ignore my comments above with regards to EXT6,which is digital only....i see in the manual,they recommend using EXT6 if the cable is hdmi-hdmi only,as the manual seems to point to every input being used at the same time.

EXT5 is shown being used for a DVI-HDMI cable...as DVI does not carry sound,therefore,EXT5 is used,as it has an analogue audio input,and EXT 6 does not..much akin to VGA - to have audio and video with a VGA input,you need a VGA cable,and a set of audio leads as well..

C

craigie

so if i understand what you are saying, EXT6 should work using HDMI to HDMI with a Bitstream Audio Signal from the DVD player

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
yes,if it does support it.
but EXT 5 is the one with the most selectable options,so i would try that,as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom