Anyone had any run-ins with customs charges?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ZebraheadDude, Mar 24, 2006.

1. ZebraheadDude

ZebraheadDude
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Hi all,

I ordered an item from someone a while back, and after more than 2 weeks it never arrived, it turned out the item was coming from abroad and I was never told. I was given a refund for this item and all was well, however I have had a silver leaflet delivered saying there is an item awaiting my payment of £9 customs charge before I can have it.

Now, i'm pretty sure that the item awaiting a customs charge is this item which I have been refunded for, as there is nothing else that has been ordered from abroad (the whole customs thing is why I avoid importing). On the back of the leaflet it says that if I wait longer than one more week they will send it back to the sender.

My question is, should I leave it and let Royal Mail send it back? Will they be miserable about it/will I receive a poor future service from them for doing so?

Thanks,

Jason

2. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    well you should defo go and find out what it acctually is before letting it go back assuming it's this thing. It could be anything!

3. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    Those things from China acctually arrive? I always just thought they were scams.

4. DGS

DGS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought some golf stuff from a US website a few years ago. When it arrived I got stung for quite severe import tax, duty and VAT, which basically wiped out the substantial savings I had made on the goods in the first place!

I wasn't aware of any of these charges in advance - certainly the website made no mention even when I put in a UK delivery address. I would never order bulk goods from abroad again as a result.

Any encounters I have had with customs from a work perspective (importing engineering goods for test then re-exporting) has shown that every single time you do it it seems like the first time. It's always a different process, a different story, a different form to fill in etc. I know this to be the same experience of anyone else in industry.

Oddly, though, it doesn't see to apply to smaller goods. I sometimes order CDs / DVDs / PS2 games from cd-wow.com and I believe they are shipped from Hong Kong without additional charges. It may be because they can be posted through a letter box - not really sure.