Anyone had an extension built?

GrumpyOldGamer

Prominent Member
Reaction score
After some general advice having never done this before, I've just put an offer in on the house pictured below, it is to small for us and I obviously knew that when purchasing with a view to having a two-storey extension built on the garage side similar to the house next door to it, all the other option is to just have the garage converted into another room, I would only have around £30,000 maximum left in my budget to do this, is it even possible to have a two-storey extension built on that budget these days?

20190213_113420.jpg

Very much doubt it. We're having a loft conversion done and had two quotes nudging £60k. Can't see a two storey extension being half the price.

After some general advice having never done this before, I've just put an offer in on the house pictured below, it is to small for us and I obviously knew that when purchasing with a view to having a two-storey extension built on the garage side similar to the house next door to it, all the other option is to just have the garage converted into another room, I would only have around £30,000 maximum left in my budget to do this, is it even possible to have a two-storey extension built on that budget these days?

View attachment 1133390

Out of London you'd be probably looking at £40k for a single story extension, not a chance at £30k I'd say!

It cost me £25,000 for a single storey extension and I work in the building trade. I done a lot of the work myself, roof, joinery,flooring , plasterboarding, painting etc.
I paid mates rates for the rest, the brickwork the electrics and air-con. The only thing I couldn’t get cheaper were the bi-fold doors.

We're hoping to have a two story extension built in about 5 years when childcare costs reduce a lot. I'm anticipating 100k all in, maybe 130 if we extend into the loft too (we can't do any work under permitted development so may as well get all permissions at once).

You have to assume that the garage etc will need to be demolished as they won't have built the foundations to spec for two stories - it would have been a waste of money for them

£30k? No chance, at least double that. But be prepared to spend another £10k on top for unseen extras, such as having to dig deeper foundations due to unsuitable soil.

It's hard to see, but is the ground outside the fence where the telegraph pole is located, actually in the grounds of the house? It does seem like an extension might breach the boundary.

5B8EA206-43B9-4070-948F-51B1A99BAFCF.jpeg
1E872AD1-3153-4C62-8890-1FF714188274.jpeg
We had an extension built on top of our garage, the garage brought forward too.
We have still kept the garage (although slightly shorter), a room at the back, a large bathroom and bedroom upstairs.
That came in at around £30,000.

Think it depends where you live in the UK. We’re down south and are having a 2 storey extension starting in June. Coming in at £89k for first and second fix. :(

I think it depends at what level you want the extension for that cost. For building work alone (brickie) you could probably do it. Then you need to factor in the rest.

I think it depends at what level you want the extension for that cost. For building work alone (brickie) you could probably do it. Then you need to factor in the rest.
I agree.
Ours cost about £30k, but the brother in law is a window fitter so we got those a little cheaper, where his mate was a builder, who worked a little cheaper too (only a little bit though). We have a vaulted ceiling in the bathroom that added to the expense. In fact the arch window support itself cost about £700.
We sourced the bathroom ourselves, but it cost less than about £700(ish), and I did most of it myself.
The back bedroom wasn't too expensive either.

17505243_10154337111121524_5690462352176976041_o.jpg

17621989_10154337111126524_5951045872444010947_o.jpg

Last edited:
Am feeling very lucky here. Had a two storey extension built in 2006, including a patio, garden wall and the conversion of an existing bedroom into a bathroom. Paid just under £21,500 :blush:

Just finished our home cinema (3/4 of garage for cinema and the rest a utility room) Was able to do lots myself which saved a fortune, just needed the pro's in to extend heating to a new radiator as well as having a sparky in to do the electrical bits.... and a plasterer, I did try this myself although its a lot harder than it looks, made a bloody mess! The equipment certainly cost more than the building work. Within 5 years we will extend both levels, for what we have in mind I have a feeling it'll cost in the region of 90k.

It’s still “meant” to be cheaper to buy a house and extend than to buy it bigger. Not sure I believe that anymore. Builders have a golden ticket!

Fair point. We want to extend ours but it’s looking a lot more than I was expecting. Annoyingly I now could afford to have bought bigger, but when we bought it, I couldn’t.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom