Anyone had a wisdom tooth removed ?. (and survived ?)

daveaka

Prominent Member
Reaction score
In January this year I had serious toothache in my lower left molar tooth :(. After a couple of visits to the dentist I was told that there wasn't any damage to the molar or it's filling and that the problem may be caused by my lower wisdom teeth which are slightly impacted thus causing an infection in the molar's roots, anyway after 2 courses of antibiotics the pain subsided and life went back to normal :)..............

Until now :(. The pain returned yesterday and after a trip to my dentist today he has recommended that I go and have my wisdom teeth surgically removed. To be honest I'm panicking a bit :rolleyes:. Has anyone else had surgery to remove there wisdom teeth ?.....Please tell me to man up and stop over reacting ;)....

I don't know why but I have a real fear of the dentist, I had the sweats today just sitting in the waiting room :blush:. I think it stems from having a filling done when I was younger and the local anaesthetic didn't work very well, it bloody hurt :mad:.

Last edited:
Had 3 out, on seperate occasions too! Just had a local anaesthetic for all of them and to be honest it was a piece of cake really, couldn't feel a thing and they seemed to come out very easily. Bit painful afterwards but nothing some nurofen didn't keep a lid on. I'm sure you'll be fine :)

I hope so. I'm in a bit of pain at the moment. Hopefully I'll get some sleep. Got to be up for work at 6 :(. Must resist watching youtube procedures...

I had six teeth taken out under general anaesthetic, all four wisdom teeth because they were impacted, and my two transplanted teeth.

Afterwards I looked like a hamster and was on liquids only for a few days, but I had very little pain. Probably less pain than you're in now.

Well I was still sitting awake at 3.45 this morning, finally got to sleep sitting in the chair downstairs. At work now and I feel a bit dizzy, I ran out of pain killers so I had to resort to taking Tramadol.

I can't get in for my next appontment with the dentist until the 29th so I'm hoping the antibiotics I was prescribed yesterday will ease the infection..Seriously ****** off but hey ho that's life :)

You need to request an emergency appointment from your dentist and tell the receptionist the extreme pain is preventing you from sleeping. Having to wait until it's nearly August is far too long and it's probably not a great idea to be forced to take powerful painkillers on such a regular basis. There is provision for emergency treatment and it sounds as though you are eligible for it immediately.

My missus had one out yesterday. She had a little cry after she came out but she's fine now.

Well I've got an appointment at Barnet hospital in August for a little MAXILO FACIAL SURGERY!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Sounds terrifying but I went and had my X-Rays last week and the dental surgeon there put my mind at ease. Apparently the two teeth that I have to have removed should be straightforward and the whole procedure should be completed by drill and take around 40 minutes.
I was told that there is a small risk of nerve damage when extracting my impacted molar that could cause some permanent loss of sensitivity in my bottom lip but it's only a 2 in 100 chance!
All done under local anaesthetic.

Don't worry a slightly uncomfortable 40 minutes is much prefferable to hours of agony don't you think. ;)

I had 4 taken out under general anaesthetic, no issues. Although they had a hard time getting me to do anything afterwards because I was so sleepy.

They were getting quite irate with me "Daniel, get up!"

I was probably around 10-12.

could cause some permanent loss of sensitivity in my bottom lip but it's only a 2 in 100 chance!

Could you also say it was a 1 in 50 chance?

I had six teeth taken out under general anaesthetic, all four wisdom teeth because they were impacted, and my two transplanted teeth.

Afterwards I looked like a hamster and was on liquids only for a few days, but I had very little pain. Probably less pain than you're in now.

Yeah I agree, I had 4 out years back now, out the hospital same day.
Day after I looked like hamster freak. A week of eating yoghurt and soup and I was fine again.

All the best for the op.

Same here...all four under general a couple of years ago, in and out in one day.....few days living on soup and the paracodeine they sent me home with and all was well.......just try and resist playing with the holes with your tongue!

I too have been there, but I am less so eager about the operation. Thankfully it hasn't flared up again. I'm trying to keep the gum area around my wisdon teeth as clean as possible.

I had one out under a local at the Dentist and it was a nightmare. I was in pain for a week or so. It had caused a burst blood vessel (according to the Dentist) in my cheek and the side of my face was swollen for a week or so. I had a throbing pain and although i was taking painkillers every two hours or so i could still feel it and could not sleep at night. I couldnt really eat so lost weight (not that i needed to loose any) and so looked quite gaunt. After a week or two it was fine though.

My wife had two out the other year and after seeing what i had gone through was very nervous (she passed out in the Dentists chair :eek:, i normally do that when i get the bill :D) but she was fine no problems, a bit of pain for a day or two but other than that okay.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom