Anyone got the Yamakawa 365Divx?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Kane D Williams, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Just wondered if anyone has this variation of the Sigma Designs 8500 based DVD player?

2. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It certainly looks like an interesting prospect, especially, as some people have suggested, that it will output PAL 720p at 50Hz (the brainwave/samsung etc will only output PAL 720p at 60Hz). The manual can be found here: http://www.yamakawa.de/Manuals/365_D1.pdf

Doesn't really give any more info... especially the answer to the question "does it output 720p at 50Hz for PAL DVDs?"

And how come these "cool" dvd players only seem to be sold in germany/france and not britain?

3. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just asked an Austrian friend to have a scan through the manual for me:

"I am afraid it does not mention anything about the frequency of PAL. It
    says that 480 and 720 are progressive scan and 1080 is interlaced. Also
    with DVD's with copy protection the player can only display 480p."

Presumably this means you only get 720p if your display is HDMI compliant... though it's not clear.

"Region code can be changed".

At least it will play my region 1 discs then.

4. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have been told by Yamakawa that there is a firmware that allows both 576p & 720p @ 50Hz. It also does 480p & 720p @ 60Hz. They have another firmware that allows custom settings, but unfortunately the 720p @ 50Hz is not a part of this firmware, but I guess that if one can set their own DVI ouput, then one could create a 720p @ 50Hz anyway?

They will have a new firmware in 3 weeksor so that will have 720p/50Hz as an option as well as custom settings available! They are also hoping that they will soon be able to have it so that the machine can store up to 5 different settins for various sources!!

With a 2 year warranty (anywhere in Europe), this seems like a great machine to invest £100 in!!!

5. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Not sure about the copy protected DVD's? I think you meant the PJ needs to be HDCP complient, not HDMI?

Is the Z2 HDCP enabled?

6. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Just checked, the Z2 is HCCP complient!

I think in the long run, it is good for a DVD player to be HDCP enabled, as all displays will go this way and some of those DVI players that are not HDCP complient MAY have problems in the future talking with the display? Of course for those with non-HDCP displays right now, then a player with HDCP it is not desirable!

8. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If anyone wants to contact Yamakawa with any questions, I have been emailing this guy Thomas:

t.mannweiler@yamakawa.de

He has been very helpful and answered all my questions pretty swiftly! He listens to what people want as well!!

9. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I meant HDCP... and yes, the Z2 is HDCP compliant.

10. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hokay, sounds like a good deal... so where's the best place to buy one of these? I was looking at amazon.de, but it appears they won't deliver to the uk.

11. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ok, I am bidding on Ebay for one. My Ebay name is Thomasholman, so if anyone bids against me I'll track you down like a dog!!

However, the guy selling them in Germany has sold quite a few over the last few days and I'm sure he'll have more on there soon? When He first puts them on they have a buy now price of 149 Euros, which is in line with most other retailers over there, but many sell it for more. Shipping is 18 euros. A few went for 120 Euros, but from another seller who appears not to sell to the UK. I have emailed them to ask but had no reply!

If you like I can find out if this guy has any more and if he'd knock the price down a little if I could muster up say 5 sales? If not, I'm sure he can still get them and sell them at 149 Euros as normal.

PM me if interested.

12. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankfully, amazon will deliver to austria... and it just so happens my austrian friend is going home for christmas in a couple of weeks.

13. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My sister is in Munich until Monday. Anyone know a place there that sells the 365Divx?

14. krl25sc

krl25sc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.computeruniverse.net will sell and ship the player to the UK for around EUR190 plus you can pay by credit card - a long way off the amazon.de price I know but beats ebay.

15. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I wonder if computeruniverse.net will do it for EUR170 including shipping? Anyone got a contact there?

16. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    BTW, The 365 will switch between RGB & Component via it's SCART socket! A Scart to Component adapter is available in Germany. I'm not sure if the machine will allow 720p/1080i via the component or not?

17. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Well finally took the plunge and ordered a 365DivX from Germany. Another forum member has also ordered one, so you should get a couple of posts soon giving our impressions. I will be using it with a Z2 (hopefully) and he with a HT1000 I believe, so should interest a few members???

Till then...

18. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've ordered one as well...(for a Z2) friend is bringing it back from Austria... but he doesn't get back until mid January :(

so, do i wait until January to watch Two Towers extended edition...? Or put up with s-video now...?

19. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    As Kane mentions I'll be getting one soon too and yes it is to use with an NEC HT1000 :)

By all accounts it has the picture quality and flexibility of the V880s but thankfully not the build quality and reliability.

Although I've still not actually talked to anyone who has owned one yet!

pdgnews, WAIT you know it has to be worth it. I horded loads of DVDs waiting until I had everything sorted out to my satisfaction and it was well worth it!

Cheers
    Marc

20. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,932
    Do any of you chaps have PCs you can compare it with? It would be interesting to know if the PQ is as good as a HTPC via DVI.

Cheers,
    Andy.

21. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    zAndy1,

I would suspect the picture will be practically the same as that from a V880 as the player uses the same chipset.

So I think it will be pretty close and if you don't want the hassle of a PC then an easy choice at the price.

I know you've seen the V880 and a PC so you should have a fair idea of the difference. Of course I will post my opinions as soon as I get mine...

Cheers
    Marc

22. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    On guy on AVS has just reported that when the 365DivX is in Region 0 mode, it will not play RCE discs, unless you use the work-around that is on Yamakawa's website (not looked for it yet).

However, the guy says it is easier to simply switch the machine to the region, which you want to play, if you come up against an RCE title!

This is not a big deal, just a bit of a pain. My Tosh 900E has had trouble with only 3 RCE discs (plays most RCE titles fine), but I found a work-around. As long as I can play any disc I don't really mind having to switch my 365 over to R2 for the odd occasion I watch a UK disc. It is possible that Yamakawa will sort this out in a future firmware?

23. GrannySmith

GrannySmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Does anyone here know what the Yamakawa player might offer in terms of performance gains over Samsung's HD 935 when sending images to a Sanyo Z2 pj via DVI? I am on the verge of ordering the Samsung from http://www.pantheronline.co.uk/ but will seek out the Yamakawa if it is likely to offer superior PQ.....

Cheers, Will.

24. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Well, I've never seen a 935 or 931 (US version), but some reports claim it gives a very sharp and detailed picture, but that it can be grainy. Most feel that the Bravo D1 and Momitsu V880 give marginally better PQ and the Yamakawa should be the equal of these, but hopefully less troublesome?

25. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    My thoughts on this are get a 935 if you want an easy life, you can get it in the UK easily, use your credit card and any issues send it back easily.

If you are happy to buy form german websites, which can be a little tricky, or off German sellers on eBay (which means doing a bank transfer) and cope with the pain of sending it back to Germany should there be a fault then I think the Yamakawa has a slight edge.

I would not say the same of the V880 despite it's great price. It's just too likely you'll receive a dud!

Cheers
    Marc

26. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  27. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I have seen that review before.

I personally think the Samsung is pretty good, I really haven't had any of the issues with edge enhancement or stutter with PAL material when running in 720p mode.

The DVI images on my projector were very impressive and better than any component source I have used and as close to my computer that it was easy to choose it over the PC for ease of use.

However I have just dumped the 935 because my second one went wrong too and the company (DigiUK, great company btw) offered to pick it up and give me a full refund. I could rebuy it at £30 less from Panther but am going to give the 365Divix as shot first.

Cheers
    Marc

28. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looks like the race is on for the first 365Divix review...

29. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Kane's will arrive before mine, however I have a PJ to test it on and right now he doesn't. Could be a close run thing...

30. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    This is funny! Uczmeg, forgive me if I've already asked you this, but do you live in the London area? If so, I could always bring mine to yours and we could test it together?