Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Anyone got the Sharp LC37P50E Yet?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by neilmcl, Aug 28, 2005.

Tags:
  1. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I'm interested in comments from owners of the the 37" or 32" version of the Sharp P50E series. I want to know if this model is genuinely better at displaying SD material from Sky and Freeview than any of the new 1368 x 768 screens. As HD is only going to be limited to a small number of channels from Sky (Sky One, Movies, Sports etc) for the near future wouldn't this screen be a good compromise for the short term?

2. jobseeker

jobseeker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    The 32" ones are out there on display in Comet and the like, I think, so you could go and see one of those. I did have a 37" on order, but have cancelled it and swapped to two 26" for use in secondary rooms. I haven't even been to look at one because basically until you see the set in use in your room with your sources it's hard to tell. I've ordered online so that I can return them if I don't like them. That's also a way round these ridiculous manufacturers dead pixel policies. I might still go for the 37" in the main cinema room if I like these smaller ones. I know Empire Direct had 10 of the 37" in stock yesterday even though some others don't seem to have them yet.

3. PALman

PALman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I'm a relative newbie to AVForums who's been following the Sharp P series threads with great interest.

After doing a some research and a few auditions of different hardware, I decided to take the plunge and order a Sharp LC37P50E (which should be delivered in the next few hours).

I'd be happy to answer any questions about the model once it arrives.

4. RonnyP

RonnyP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm eager to hear about your 37p50 purcase as i am also considering this model.
    And i have some questions for you.
    -How is the PQ with analog signal
    -Do you have the opportunity to test how it works with PC via HDMI. My concern is about the downscaling as will use this screen with my HTPC to watch divX, mowies and television. Gaming experience is also valuable information to have before i make my choice.

Thanks from another newbie

5. Random Hajile

Random Hajile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Saw one of these running in my local co-op superstore right next to a sharp GA5E, both running a standard analogue signal so it was a good comparision to see if the P50`s lower resolution made standard def stuff any better. My verdict it looked exactly the same as the higher resolution GA5E. It`s a very nice looking set though and has all the features you would expect from sharp LCD sets, but it would be better to pay the extra £50-£100 for the GA6E (when availble this month) and have the extra resolution for when HD is available. If your not to bothered about HD then theres no reason not to go for this as it looks a great set, has HDMI and excepts HD resolutions. But you can`t class it as HD ready as it doesn`t meet the HD requirement of having a tv which has a minimum resolution 1280x720 pixels.

6. PALman

PALman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - finally dragged myself away from the TV for 10 mins.

Perviously i had a 8 year old sony 4:3 trinitron screen (who picture i thought was brilliant) - the Sharp PQ beats that on most things.

I don't have an analogue connection only a satellite (sky+) connect via scart and a DVD also connected via scart. The PQ on some of the satellite channels (that show widescreen) is truly outstanding. The test for was that my wife thought Eastenders looked better on the new
    Sharp!

I'm very impressed with the PQ, but then as this is my first LCD/Plasma - i've only seen std def tv PQ on normal screen in showrooms before and wasn't very impressed

I connected my xbox up and it also looked fab on the new screen.

The only slight down side is that there is a bit of "noise" around faster moving objects (i may need to fiddle with some of the setup options).

All in all - its a great buy for my first toe dip into the LCD\Plasma world, in two years time when HD set are all the rage (and cheaper) i'm sure i'll be upgrading

7. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Thanks for the review, i'm also thinking about buying the 37". Do you have any pics you can post.

8. PALman

PALman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    here are a few pics attached

Attached Files:

9. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Looks good :thumbsup: , just a couple of questions - How wide is the table top stand at it's widest point and what's the sound like from the onboard speakers?

Thanks

10. PALman

PALman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The table top stand width is 670mm at it's widest point (450mm at its narrowest) with a depth of 310mm.

The onboard speaker seems pretty reasonable for watching non DD 5.1 stuff, it's plenty loud enough for rocking to MTV with!

Anyone know any good LCD installers, who can wall mount a LCD in north London?

11. msephton

msephton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I read this thread with interest.

Can you please confirm a few things for me:

1. How does interactive content look?
    2. How do games look?
    3. How does it handle 60Hz signal?

Are these all pixel perfect?

Thanks,

12. richiecas

richiecas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have 1 for the last 2 months and I must say the picture is excellent. I watch regular sky + through RGB scart and the picture is excellent no matter what I watch. DVD recorder is connected via component and it is also very good.

13. emrysdavies

emrysdavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    How well does it handle fottball and the like?

14. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I started this thread back in August and bought one shortly after. Having had the 37P50 now for nearly 6 months I can say for sure that it's does an excellant job with any source thrown at it including sports such as football.