Anyone got the new Samsung D900?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Captain Beaky, Aug 3, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Captain Beaky

Captain Beaky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    the quoted stats on a few phone sites show the battery life as being poor - can anyone confrim or deny this? im due an upgrade soon and this phone is currently top of my list. was going to go for the k800i but its just too darn big!

2. RandomLee

RandomLee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,948
    I just got one last night so cant really comment on the battery.

It's bigger than you'd think, although that's not to say it's massive. It looks like a flattened D600. In fact apart from the nicer menus and better camera it's pretty much the same as my old D600, which is good as I loved that phone.

I'll report back in a day or 2 once I've charged it a few times and have an idea of how long the battery lasts.

3. clonmult

clonmult

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you've got issues if the think the K800 is too big. It isn't big at all. Have you actually held it in your hand?

As for the D900, I didn't think it was out yet - though the O2 site does say "coming aug 06". They rarely get the release dates right though :(

4. RandomLee

RandomLee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,948
    I'd have to agree, the K800i is barely any bigger than the K750i or the W810i.

O2 told me on Tuesday that they got the D900 in on Monday night in limited numbers.

I got mine from my local Phones 4U store last night, again who had limited stocks and said they took delivery of them on Tuesday.

I got it free on Orange Dolphin 35... which is £35 for 500 anytime any network minutes and 500 texts.

On the bus this morning I went past the Carphone Warehouse who had a poster up in the window advertising the D900.

Looks like most places will have them by the end of the week.

5. Captain Beaky

Captain Beaky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    i have indeed held one and i still think its big. perhaps its becasue the phone is quite angular, compared to the rounded corners of the w800. and the keypad is too smal for my big mits! ive got a w800 at the moment, and am after an improvement - mp3 player isnt important to me, neither is 3G. all i want is a relatively small phone with a good a camera and easy interface. been a life long SE fan but i just cant get past the cons of the k800i

is the D900 keypad one of those touch senseitive ones, or does have bonafide buttons, that you can feel when they are pressed?

6. RandomLee

RandomLee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,948
    It's got proper buttons mate. As I said, it's basically a thin D600 with a 3.0MP camera and a couple of other changes.

Dimensions are roughly as follows (when closed):

Height = 103mm
    Width = 50mm
    Depth = 13mm

Or just a bit bigger than a 10 pack of smokes.

I went from a K750i to the D600 and it took me a few days to get used to the differences but there no major annoyances. I really like the Samsung menu system and it's even better on the D900. Their phones feel well built too, which is something I could never say of any SE phone I've had, although I do like them too.

7. Captain Beaky

Captain Beaky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    good to hear - i really like the SE menu so its hearteneing to hear the samsunng OS isnt to shabby.

have you had chance to compare the pics taken by teh K750 and the D900?

8. RandomLee

RandomLee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,948
    I havent yet no, but I'll take a few pictures tonight and see if they look any better than the ones taken on my old K750i... I think I've got a few pics from that still on my PC.

I can imagine they will as it's a 3.0MP camera over a 2.0MP and the max image size on the D900 is 2048x1536 whereas I think the W750i was 1600x something. The D900 also has auto-focus, which the D600 didnt but the K750i did.

A couple of the things that might bother you about moving from SE to Samsung is that you can't assign your own SMS tone and there's a few extra button presses involved in sending a message. Apart from that the difference isnt more than the usual space and word select buttons being in different places.

All IMO obviously :)

I'm crap a reviewing stuff but if you tell me what you want to know or compare then I'll do it when I get home.

9. Captain Beaky

Captain Beaky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    cheers - that would be great if you could post some pics - really keen to see how the 2 phones compare. other than battery life the only other thing that would be good if you could let me know about is the bluetooth connectivity. i own a mac so thats what i would rely on to sync and transfer pics etc..... rather than the bundled software (unless it supports mac??)

as for the differences between samsung and SE, i didnt use the sms tone thingy anyway - as for the extra button presses - i will have to see how i cope as i send a LOT of texts!

10. RandomLee

RandomLee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,948
    lol, no probs.

The extra button presses arent really too annoying as you can rapid press the button, and there's a list of recent recipients so if you use that it saves a few presses.

I've only ever used bluetooth to send and receive files between phones but I'll have a look and see if the software (Samsung PC Suite 3) works with Macs too. The phone itself does seem to have an extensive list of bluetooh options though, and I'm sure Samsung would have thought about Mac users too.

If it does work for you, PC Suite 3 inst too bad to be honest. I like A LOT more than the SE software (wouldnt let me delete the desktop icon, so I deleted the whole program;)). It seems to transfer files a lot quicker too.

Also, as I no longer have a K750i I will be using my girlfriend's W810i to compare pics. I'm pretty sure it's the same camera in it though, both 2.0MP.

I'll try and post back with all the info tonight but if not it will be tomorrow morning.

In the meantime you could check the Samsung site for info on use with Macs.

11. Captain Beaky

Captain Beaky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    appreciate it mate! thanks

just checked samsungs site for mac compatibility and the software isnt compatible. but it says bluetooth communicatio works fine so theres no problem for me!

12. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Reviewed here (with sample photos):-

http://mobilarena.hu/c.php?mod=20&id=1220&p=5

The review is hungarian if anyone knows of a better (see below) free hungarian translator website pls post.

http://www.tranexp.com:2000/InterTr....php?mod=20&id=1220&p=5&text=&from=hun&to=eng

Discussed here:-

http://forum2.mobile-review.com/showthread.php?p=445495

Cezh review:-

http://www.mobilmania.cz/Mobilnitelefony/AR.asp?ARI=113167

Translated cezh review:-

http://www.tranexp.com:2000/InterTr...tos%EDtotta.+K%F6sz%F6nj%FCk.&from=che&to=eng

can't wait....

13. RandomLee

RandomLee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,948
    Hey,

My girlfriend didnt come round till quite late last night so I didnt get a chance to take any decent pictures as the light was too poor. I wanted to take some outside shots rather than in my dimly lit flat.

RE the battery, I havent charged it since I took it out of the box on Tuesday and the battery meter is still half full. It was connected via USB for about 15 minutes to transfer some files but other than that it's hasnt been charged.

I spent about 2 hours putting in all my numbers and have been using the phone quite a bit... sending messages, playing Tetris, using WAP, messing about with wallpaper and mp3s etc so I think the battery is holding out quite well considering it's still on the factory charge (that's one of the things I love about Samsung, phones are good to go straight out of the box!).

I used to get 2 to 3 days out of my D600 with average use so I expect this will be about the same.

Anyway, apologies for having no pics to post, I'll try and get some taken today after work.

Those sites linked below looks decent, the sample pics in the 1st link in particular.

14. Captain Beaky

Captain Beaky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    thanks for trying anyway mate - be interested to see what the "flash" can do anyway so dimly lit flat would be ok.

great news on the battery front then - i just didnt want this to become another razr - ive gotten used to uber battery life on the w800!

15. clonmult

clonmult

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oooh, that looks nice (looking through the hungarian review).

Be interesting to see how the forthcoming Moto slider compares, although that is apparently only going to be a 2mp camera.

16. RandomLee

RandomLee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,948
    Beaky, PM me your email address and I'll send you some picutres. Be warned though, I'm no David Bailey and am quite short on interesting material to photograph :rolleyes:

By the way, it was on zero bars at about 3:30pm today. It managed to stay on until I got home at 4:30pm and charged it up. It's lasted well considering I havent properly charged it since new and how much I've been using it, which is certainly more than I would normally use a phone.

17. john316

john316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Any idea when the D900 is coming onto the O2 website?

I might just take out a 2nd contract with either O2 or elsewhere and then cancel my existing O2 deal to get this phone. I seriously doubt O2 will offer me any sort of cheap upgrade deal and I'm not arsed about keeping my number :cool:

18. andyr300

andyr300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    o2 last week said they had a few for delivery now...but yesterday they said its not available til 14th Aug,so i would try then

19. Crazy Snake Man

Crazy Snake Man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm getting one next week, can't wait - so thin can't believe it!!

what cards do i need for the expandable memory, is it transflash or microsd - or are the the same!!

can i assign m3 songs as ringtones if in memory card or i it as i fear and they have to be in the phones memory?

20. john316

john316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Onestopphoneshop have this on a really cheap deal on Orange but a mix of OSPS and Orange don't fill me with confidence :(

21. Spy

Spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Hi John,

What do you meany by the mix of OSPS and Orange doesn't fill you with confidence ?

Why should it matter where you buy it from ?

22. john316

john316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    OSPS have a terrible reputation for Cashbacks from what I've read and Orange would be a whole new network for me. Don't want to get a contract and find its poor coverage like T-Mobile round where I live.

23. RandomLee

RandomLee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,948
    john316 - Not know anyone on Orange that lives local? Or ask in a local phoneshop what the coverage for Orange is like in your area. Phones4U told me I could switch after 14 days if I found I didnt like the phone or found I didnt get coverage where I live. All seems good though.

Crazy Snake Man - The D900 uses MicroSD. I cant say if it will let you assign mp3s stored on the SD card as a ringtone as I dont have one for mine... I dont need more than the onborad memory. Sorry!

Another point worth mentioning, as nice as the phone is, I find Samsung headphones are a terrible fit and severely lack in bass. I think the SE earphones are a lot better (W800i / W810i style) but then I'm used to ear-canal style headphones (currently using Sennheiser CX300's). If only the Samsung came with an adaptor to allow you to use your own... those eBay ones are the poorest built things I've ever seen.

Also, Carphone Warehouse and Phones4U seem to be the place to get them off the highstreet. No sign of them in the Link, O2 store, T-Mobile store, Vodafone Store or Orange Store... but that's only based on window adverts as I go past them all on the bus on the way to work.

24. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Aren't OSPS part of the Carphone Warehouse group now so they shouldn't be any worse that any of the other retailers such CPW themselves, E2save etc. In fact I haven't heard any bad things about OSPS.

As far as coverage is concerned can't you go to a local phone shop, preferably Orange, who will be able to demonstrate just what the coverage is like. TBH I've been round most of the UK through work and I find that Orange have consistantly better coverage than most others.

25. Crazy Snake Man

Crazy Snake Man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crazy Snake Man - The D900 uses MicroSD. I cant say if it will let you assign mp3s stored on the SD card as a ringtone as I dont have one for mine... I dont need more than the onborad memory. Sorry!

Another point worth mentioning, as nice as the phone is, I find Samsung headphones are a terrible fit and severely lack in bass. I think the SE earphones are a lot better (W800i / W810i style) but then I'm used to ear-canal style headphones (currently using Sennheiser CX300's). If only the Samsung came with an adaptor to allow you to use your own... those eBay ones are the poorest built things I've ever seen.

Also, Carphone Warehouse and Phones4U seem to be the place to get them off the highstreet. No sign of them in the Link, O2 store, T-Mobile store, Vodafone Store or Orange Store... but that's only based on window adverts as I go past them all on the bus on the way to work.[/QUOTE]

thanks!!! i might look into getting bluetooth headphones, depends on cost.

26. john316

john316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    T-Mobile were totally lost when I complained about coverage in my area - apparently the mast is very close but for some reason, it never gave me anything about 3 bars and more likely was below 2 bars. So I don't want to risk the same with Orange and I can't find anyone with an Orange phone so I could test it here either.

EDIT: Same deal has appeared on E2Save - seriously tempted now :D

27. wolfman1971

wolfman1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Don't know if anyone can help but my wife has just got one of these phones and is a bit upset that she can't set any other sounds as her message alert tone. There seems to be only the one tone on the phone and despite transferring some mp3/music files to the phone there is no option to set these as message alert tones.

She has managed to set mp3/music files as ringtones but can only get the little plinky-plinky tone for the txt alert :lease: help!!!!!

28. RandomLee

RandomLee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,948
    Unfortunately you cant set your own message tone. It's definately my biggest gripe with Samsung phones.

There' should be 10 available as standard though. Go to settings in the main menu then Sounds Settings > Message Tones

They're all as crap as each other but I find 10 the least annoying.

29. wolfman1971

wolfman1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers M8. Thought that might b the case. She's smiling a bit more now that she's found the other tones :thumbsup:

Don't suppose you know if there is a way to tell if there is a txt on your phone when it is sat in idle mode. We've figured out the repetition of the alarm, but her last Samsung - E810 - had a setting that just flashed the lights when the phone was in silent mode - something that she has to do at work:confused:

30. RandomLee

RandomLee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,948
    No probs ;)

When idle, if you hold the silver volume button on the left side of the phone for a second the screen will light up and display the time, like a screen saver type thing. If there's any missed calls or texts there will be a small icon on screen.

Not sure about the alarm I'm afraid... perhaps if it's on silent it will flash the screen? To put it into silent mode hold the # key... although that's probably the same on the E810 too.

Lee