Anyone got the lowdown on locations in Snowdonia?

Tobers

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've got 3 weeks off starting Monday :)clap:) and pondering 2-3 days in Snowdonia. I'd be grateful if anyone has any recommendations on locations, accommodation & general info.

I dont anticipate any dramatic climbing antics but will have decent gear, not being too much of a mountain noob.

Cheers

Tobers

No idea myself, but there are a bunch of boyo's over on another certain photography forum. A lot of American jets buzzing about at silly low levels there too.

Snowdonia, ain't that in the Himalayas..? Don't know much about it but watch out for high altitude sickness! And enjoy the view.

I know that there's a train that goes right to the top ! (although you can get off half way up). Probably a decent way to orient yourself and maybe scope out some nice locations on the way up that show promise. At some point the cafe on the summit (yes, that's right :rolleyes:) was being refurbed. I think it's done now though.

Anyway, I'll be very interested to see your results as I'm planning on going there at some point myself.

Cheers

I know that there's a train that goes right to the top ! (although you can get off half way up). Probably a decent way to orient yourself and maybe scope out some nice locations on the way up that show promise. At some point the cafe on the summit (yes, that's right :rolleyes:) was being refurbed. I think it's done now though.

I don't think the cafe (and therefore the top station) is open until next year due to construction delays although I may be wrong on that!

I visited Snowdonia back in August and stayed at Betws-y-coed which is a really nice place about 40 minutes away by car. It also meant that we got to visit Swallow falls on the way and then drive through the Llanberis pass.

One thing I found out when we got to the station at Llanberis was that it is best to pre book tickets on the railway if it is going to be busy (it was back in August, probably less so now) as there was a 3 hour wait for an empty train which meant that we didn't go up.

It's handy if you can check the weather beforehand too, as it wouldn't be much fun up there with a camera if the visibility is down to 20 metres...

Anyway, enjoy your trip! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Cwm Idwal on the A5
The Air Force sometimes practice very low level flying around the mountain shown below. Sometimes you can see the driver (pilot).
p633921217-3.jpg

Map with location *
mapbp7.jpg

Thanks for the info so far. Cwm Idwal was on my list actually. I remember a university field trip there in 1988 to look at the glacial morphology of the place. It was sleeting and hailing horizontally straight into our faces as we climbed up the hill to the back of the lake. Absolutely horrible, but I'm sure it would be superb in decent weather.

Also, it's not far from the coast so some interesting seascapes could be forthcoming. Maybe a nice winter storm could oblige.

There's a beautiful traditional steam train that sits and billows out smoke and steam that runs alongside the north edge of the lake at Llyn Cwellyn (very bottom centre of the map posted above) by Beddgelert. Not the obvious train track on the map, another one.

Depends what you're into I suppose, but the atmosphere it creates is very olde world with the engineer twiddling knobs etc.

Here's the view towards Snowdon from the road next to the track: -

Don't know if it's your thing, but if you're off down to the coast there's always Portmeirion. Only about 20 miles from Snowdonia.

Don't know if it's your thing, but if you're off down to the coast there's always Portmeirion. Only about 20 miles from Snowdonia.

I am not a number.

Yeah the cafe isn't due to open till next year in the summer.

Walk to the top thats half the fun!

I plan on going next year as part of the 3 peaks challenge :)

i did the three peaks challenge 2 years ago (bloody harder than you think) anyway just to say the cafe was about half way up the mountain as far as i can remember

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom