1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone got sky running into a panny ae100 or other PJ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Supernosh, May 22, 2003.

1. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didnt think I would bother with this but I would like to connect my sky box to my panny ae100.

Can anyone tell me what connection/cable I would need. I am assuming s-video is the way ahead but thought I would check!!

I didnt think I would bother because I thought the picture would be crap?

Anyone with a similar setup have a view on this?

The thing is I am now struggling to watch anything on my crappy little 32" TV!! I want everything on a 6ft screen:clap: :clap: :clap:

2. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if this helps but I'm watching sky by plugging it into my DVD recorder with a scart and then plugging the DVD into the PJ with an S-Video cable.

I also have NTL analogue cable going into the RF input of the DVD and so it acts as an all in one solution - Terrestrial TV, Sky, recorded TV and DVD all via the one box and cable. Pretty neat as no other switcher boxes are needed.

If only the DVD was progressive scan, then it would be perfect.

Cheers,
    Cal.

3. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not really but thanks for sharing;)

4. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    if you do a search on these forums there are lots of people plugging sky into their ae100s. As far as i know the most common way to do it is to buy a scart to s-video lead from someone like keane electronics. You could always get a scart-rgb to component converter, but these are more expensive and I've seen posts from people having problems with them......

5. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have connected my Sky up via S-video and the picture is quite reasonable. I have a Grundig box which has S-Vid output, this is connected to my amp then to my AE100. If you have no S-vid then composite is watchable if you aren't too fussed. If you want to spend more then a ProV would be an option and allow you to feed progressive scan.

6. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am pretty sure mi sky box has s-video out so I will give that a try.

Whay have you connected it to your amp and then the PJ?

7. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the amp to switch s-video sources, if you aren't using anything else then run the cable direct between the digibox and projector :)

8. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What would the picture be like using this method?

I have a progressive scan DVD player using component, I'm assuming the picture will be way worse??

9. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find it acceptable for most viewing, it is some way behind progressive scan via component but better than I expected. Of course it depends upon the quaility of the sky signal which tends to vary from programme to programme as well as being affected by our wonderfull weather :rolleyes:

10. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
  11. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I'd say don't dismiss the picture quality until you've seen it for yourself: different people have different standards.

When I first got my AE100 I was expecting, from the comments on here, that the image from a Sky box would be just about unwatchable; I was extremely surprised by the actuality of it - and that was (and still is) plain old composite video. After over a year I still see nothing wrong with it and can watch it with great enjoyment.

Of course it's not as good as component video from a DVD player; but "not as good as" doesn't necessarily mean "bad".

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

12. RASH PATEL

RASH PATEL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Supernosh,

I have connected my Sony Digibox to HS 10 using Scart RGB
    to component in to the PJ using Lektropack's RGB to component
    converter.and must say the picture quality is very good,perhaps
    not as good as DVD.Cost of the coverter was £75,

Regards,

Rash

13. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would it be better than s-video?

Also could you send me a link to the converter you are talking about.

Thanks!

14. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky is definitely watchable with film sources better than video sources - perhaps the deinterlacing is easier for the poor deinterlacer in the Z1 as well as film being much higher resolution before it's digitised. A decent deinterlacer might make a big difference.

Football is not the best quality but still much better than watching on a teensy weensy telly.

The quality is pretty much the same as on the telly except that all the artifacts are a bit more noticable as they are larger.

I tend to mostly watch films and football off of (freeview) sky and much prefer it to the telly - and it saves a fortune on DVD's.

Cheers,
    Cal.

15. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed Bert, I too was expecting the picture to be unwatchable but I first connected a video to use as a tuner and was surprised how good it was. It is perfectly watchable and better than watching a tiny 32" widescreen :D

16. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Zig,

I'm glad it's not just me who can happily watch what some forum members seem to find totally unacceptable. As I said, we all have our different standards.

This debate reminds me of the audio hifi world. It used to be common there to "explain" a tolerance for less-than-perfect reproduction by saying "Yes, but I listen to the music not the sound". Perhaps - and I suggest this very tentatively - some home cinema devotees tend to watch the picture quality rather than the programme material?

My regards to Zag.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

17. RASH PATEL

RASH PATEL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  18. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there sorry if I`m a bit late with a reply on this one but I`ve been away.

I have my sony Sky Digi box through the Pro v then to my PJ. I think the picture is absolutely spot on everybody that has seen my set up with Sky running through it has been totaly amazed, even my Barco PJ owner mates are a little green with envy.

By the way forgot to mention my PJ is the Panny AE 100 E.

Try it or at leaste look for similar threads with this combination, I have seen some with differing views all I can say is mine is stunning.

Hope this helps

19. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I should have mentioned the ProV which does certainly improve the general sharpness and smoothness of the picture. The only drawback I found with it is that very rapid changes of brightness or contrast caused the picture to momentarily break up into very obvious horizontal lines in the brightest areas. Flash photographs being taken were the worst offenders.

Walter, do you find this?

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

20. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bert,

Yes I did see that you mentioned this before I have no problems with my Pro V set up it`s been brilliant from day 1 I`ve never had it dissconected since, I`m delighted.

When I first set it up I tweeked the colours on both the Pro v and the projector theres much more room for adjustment i`m delighted as I said, maybe I`ve just been Lucky? I feel very fortunate to have no complaints

21. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Walter,

I don't want to make too much of the ProV's drawbacks. I think they're far outweighed by its advantages.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

22. MarTTy

MarTTy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I run sky from my Grundig box to my HTPC using s-video - VGA Lindy cable to my AE100 (using Dscaler) and I think the quality is excellent....especially Kirsty Gallagher displayed across my chimney breast!!

23. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smoke: Thanks Bert

I considered going the ProV route and may well give one a try sometime. However I am quite happy with the picture for what Sky viewing I do. I was rather hoping that Man Utd were going to make the European cup final and this was my main reason to hook the projector up but alas :suicide:
    It has to be said however that my picture beats any pub big screen I have yet seen, the FA cup final was a good picture but the UEFA wasn't too clever but I put that down to the heavy rain coupled with foreign broadcast quality :rolleyes: