Anyone Got sky Q working over VPN?

oldskoolsandhu

Novice Member
Reaction score
hey Guys
Anyone able to get sky Q working over a VPN, i have 2 draytek routers setup in the office with different lans, so created a lan to lan VPN but my mini box doest connect to the sky box over the lan/vpn

I have no clue what might be stopping this but every other functions of a shared vpn office/network works ok.
Any one?

Almost certainly due to the boxes being on different subnets. Plus you would a home connection with decent upload to work.

hey Guys
Anyone able to get sky Q working over a VPN, i have 2 draytek routers setup in the office with different lans, so created a lan to lan VPN but my mini box doest connect to the sky box over the lan/vpn

I have no clue what might be stopping this but every other functions of a shared vpn office/network works ok.
Any one?
Hi. Did you manage to get this working?

I've managed to setup a site-to-site VPN, both ends on the same subnet and the default gateway is the far end where the main box is. The mini will connect to the network and gets a DHCP address from the far end gateway and says it has an internet connection, but wont connect to main box, says error MR009, network proximity error

I'm also interested in exploring this. Currently use an iptv provider to have UK channels at my home in the US. I also have a VPN set up in the states to allow my family in the UK to access US restricted content online. The ability to have a Sky Q Mini box back in the states and have it "connect" to my family's home network over VPN is extremely appealing.

From the post by Jackfm it looks like it can see its on a VPN and says no

From the post by Jackfm it looks like it can see its on a VPN and says no
I think no as well.. I tried a few things and wasnt able to get it up and running..
I've managed to setup a site-to-site VPN, both ends on the same subnet and the default gateway is the far end where the main box is. The mini will connect to the network and gets a DHCP address from the far end gateway and says it has an internet connection, but wont connect to main box, says error MR009, network proximity error
when i got Mr009 error i enabled Upnp connection control and status control and then IGMP and change the query time to 2 seconds.. i got another error after that but i might have a subnet issue..

I think no as well.. I tried a few things and wasnt able to get it up and running..

when i got Mr009 error i enabled Upnp connection control and status control and then IGMP and change the query time to 2 seconds.. i got another error after that but i might have a subnet issue..

Good to know I guess. A similar thread on another message board suggested trying an SD-WAN through a company like ZeroTier and see if that combats the issue. However I’m slightly reluctant to invest in the setup just to merely test.

I'm also interested in exploring this. Currently use an iptv provider to have UK channels at my home in the US. I also have a VPN set up in the states to allow my family in the UK to access US restricted content online. The ability to have a Sky Q Mini box back in the states and have it "connect" to my family's home network over VPN is extremely appealing.
I admire your thinking but I reckon you'd find it nigh on impossible to get a Sky Q minibox working in the USA.
Aside from the voltage differences, miniboxes rely on a network connection to the main Sky Q box. I'd think you may struggle to get a Sky Q box in the UK to 'see' a minibox located in the USA, even with the best, fastest, most expensive VPN/SD-WAN/IGMP/UPNP (and every other acronym that I don't understand).
Miniboxes also remain the property of Sky and are loaned to you for the duration of your subscription. As part of the contract they are only to be used at the address of the main subscriber so you'd be breaching the Ts & Cs of the contract by taking the box out of the country.

Miniboxes also remain the property of Sky and are loaned to you for the duration of your subscription. As part of the contract they are only to be used at the address of the main subscriber so you'd be breaching the Ts & Cs of the contract by taking the box out of the country.
I’m well aware of the Ts&Cs, mate ;)

Voltage requirements are easily overcome, but was merely interested in seeing if anyone else had overcome the technical limitations. I currently have an IPTV provider for Sky in the states, which most likely also breaches Sky’s terms :). Was interested in simply improving the experience.

It would be a fun little experiment & massive kudos to anyone who had the brains and patience to get a minibox working in the USA! That person ain't me though.
I've never had a problem streaming Sky stuff via the Sky Go app with a VPN when abroad, that's about as close to the Sky Q experience as you'll probably get.

If you want all the sky channels, then really IPTV is the only way to go, If you are just after freesat channels, so you get british TV, then an Enigma2 box with a VPN connection would work, as long as you have a good upload speed where the receiver is based

Has anyone tried accessing the SkyQ ‘recordings’ via the Sky Go app and a VPN? I’m looking for a replacement for Slingbox when it gets turned off.

I've had success using NordVPN on my iPhone streaming Sky content via the Sky Go app whilst abroad in the past. AFAIK you can't stream recordings that are on your main Q box to any device unless you are at home and the device is connected to the same network.

Anyone have any luck getting Sky Q working abroad? I'm really craving some F1 in 4K HDR. ExpressVPN seems to work with every streaming service, including YouTube TV. Anyone try it?

Of course, I'd need someone in the UK to set up an account and send me the box. But technically, could it work?

Does anyone know how the Sky Q Mini boxes talk to the main box? I've got the WiFi turned off on all of mine as hardwired. I can VPN my Mini box to my House whist it's plugged in the mains power (eliminating a powerline connection) from the House next door and it works fine. If I try it a mile away it doesn't! It must still be using a WiFi or other radio link (or GPS?) to know it's close?

The most likely scenario is that when the mini boots up and can't find a working ethernet connection to the main box it automatically switches the wifi back on and connects that way. This would explain why it works next door but not a mile away.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom