1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone got Queen Night at The Opera Yet?

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by nutcase_1uk, Apr 30, 2002.

1. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This DVD-A/DTS disc was supposed to be (finally!) released today, I was wondereing if anyone has got it yet? I ordered mine a few weeks ago, so I'm hoping it will get here this week (was kinda hoping it would be here when I got home).

Come, let's have some first impressions!

2. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Nope

Got Foreigner - 4 though and track 4 in 2 channel is awesome!!! who said 2 channel cant surround you.

3. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Wahey, it came this morning! And does it sound SUPERB! Right, when's the next one coming out? :D

4. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Where did you get yours from ?
    Mine still shows as pending :(

5. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I got it from these guys: DC-DVD

I paid £16.87 but they've upped it to £18.75 now. Plus a squid switch surcharge. I hate t when these companies do that :(

6. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    mines coming from Future ent £16.99 so hopefully wont be long now.

7. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It was certainly worth the wait! The clarity is incredible :) It's my first piece of 24/96 material. I don't have anything that plays DVD-A but the LPCM and DTS tracks are incredible by themselves!

8. gene brewer

gene brewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am still waitning for my copy from DC-DVD! :mad:

9. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    When did you order it? I ordered mine in mid April, and it does say first come first served.

I've a horrible feeling I'm going to have to return mine anyway, as it has seems to skip at the same point each time on one of the soundtracks :(

10. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    forgive me if this is a complete RTFM question but will I be able the play DVD-Audio disks on my regular tosh SD210?

11. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As long as you can play 24bit/96khz PCM (I think all DVD players are capabele of this) and/or full-bitrate 5.1 DTS then you should be fine. Obviously DVD-A players have the added advantage of being able to use the full 24/96 DVD-A track, but I certainly can't, the other two tracks play fine.

12. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    excellent. Might just have to order this then.

I like the idea of DVD-Audio & SACD but my budget dictates I wait to see which one becomes more prevelent in the market.

Regards

13. Chip

Chip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are not you know. Are you sure you are not just playing a straight DTS soundtrack?

Chip

14. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    DTS is 1536kbps 5.1 audio track in 24/96 and the LCPM is 4608kbps in 24/96. I don't know that teh DVD-A track is as I can't play it.

I use power dvd XP btw, but my amp (Denonn AVR-2801) can read LPCM track fine when use SP/DIF out, and can decode the DTS track fine as well.

15. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Just got mine :)

Caught the postman trying to ram it through the letter box as 2 dvd's where in the packag too and it would'nt fit.

It got stuck halfway before I opened the door and said try knocking, postman said he thought it would fit.

Damaged the cover of JP3 and the cover of Angel Eyes :(
    Can I claim off them ?

16. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Update:

Ok I have now listened to this disc in all modes and for those of you without DVD Audio your not missing anything, in fact I think its worse than the DTS Track which I'm not impressed with either.

If any of you read the review http://www.highfidelityreview.com/reviews/review.asp?reviewnumber=535399 then all I can say is all thats been changed is the menu screens as there is no artifacts or blockiness.

The best way this disc sounds to me is in 2 channel pcm as the multichannel is as pants as the review says!

17. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    Not sure I agree..but of course it's down to personal taste..
    I've had mine (from future) since Monday and have spent a while comparing all soundtracks (I have DVD-Audio as well). The stereo PCM 96/24 is absolutely amazing. For 2 channels to fill a room with the clarity this disc delivers is fantastic. The DTS soundtrack (complete with video) of Bohemian Rhapsody is totally engrossing and fills the room wall to wall and floor to ceiling..and I think it works.
    The DVD-A sound is much better IMO. Again using Bohemian Rhapsody (as you would..;) ) as a test case the DVD-A sound not only fills the room, but it does it using great channel separation. The DTS sound seems to be abut clarity combined with ambience whilst the DVD-A seems to be more about channel direction. I have compared the three a few times now and prefer the DVD=A by a long shot, although I know I'll spend more time listening to the DTS because it has the added bonus of the video.
    Maybe it doesn;t appeal to fans of the original album because it has never been heard this way before...
    In the end like everything it is about personal taste I guess and may also have something to do with people's set-ups, I have Roksan Ojan 3's fronts and Ruark Talisman II rears as I enjoy music a lot so they may help my listening experience...
    I for one am already aniticpating the next Queen album (hopefully Killer Queen) with my ears open and amp at the ready..:)

18. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    well I've just read that review and from the looks of things he didn't really get a chance to hear much. Did the guy know how to set things up..?? I'm not trying to be funny but I can't see how he can say he was sure the disc (especially the mutli-channel mixes) was not complete when he got a copy and then slate what he did hear..knowing it was unfinished. Then on top of that out of three mices he only heard one..?? shouldn't have been previewed, I don;t see anywhere where it says "I contacted DTS about the inability to play some of the mixes and they explained....."

19. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    When you get a quality DVD A Recording then you will Hear how bad the queen disc is.

The imaging is horrendous.

I'm not the only one who thinks this disc is pants either,

20. Stuart M. Robinson

Stuart M. Robinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Museumsteve,

“well I've just read that review and from the looks of things he didn't really get a chance to hear much. Did the guy know how to set things up..??”

That “guy” would be me. And yes, I know how to set up a DVD player and play a disc. If I didn’t then I’d be out of a job.

“I'm not trying to be funny but I can't see how he can say he was sure the disc (especially the mutli-channel mixes) was not complete when he got a copy and then slate what he did hear..knowing it was unfinished.”

You’ve obviously not read the piece carefully, or read the piece and jumped to unfounded conclusions. The preview discs were given to journalists at CES by DTS themselves, this is quite normal and I receive advance copies of discs all the time. At CES, everyone believe the project was complete, but apparently there were a number of problems and DTS announced the disc was going back into production. I made it painfully clear, more than once, that the disc reviewed was not the finished article, which is why only cursory comments about its content were included.

We now have a copy of the finished article and another review will be forthcoming. However, not much has changed and I would tend to agree with the majority of guys here, it’s a bloomin’ awful mix.

Stuart M. Robinson
    SMR Group – http://www.smr-group.co.uk/

21. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    JSW please feel free to point me towards some quality DVD-A's I have a nice yet limited selection and certainly don't rate Queen as the worst but would welcome some recommendations..

22. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    Stuart - oops, what can I say mate..:D I hope you didn;t take offence to my post but so many mistakes are made by media when it comes to technology these days, I mean take a look at my posts on the gaming boards about the official Xbox site saying Burnout is 720p & 1080i and Acclaim have HDTV printed on the UK Burnout box..both are totally wrong yet the 'general' public are none the wiser.
    I do look forward to reading the full review soon anyway..:)
    My point in this thread is more the fact that isn;t sound more do with personal listening preference as opposed to video which is either good or bad..that's all..

23. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    well I did some more listening this afternoon to see if my opinions have changed. On the whole they haven't, however I decided to pit the Queen disc against my current fav DVD-A Emerson Lake & Palmers Brain Salad Surgery. I guess if I was honest I would have to say ELP comes out on top by quite a long way. The channel separation seems more precise without cluttering the sound stages whereas with some of the tracks on the Queen disc things do seem to get a little confusing at times.
    I do, however, think Prophets Song is the best track mix wise and the Bohemian Rhapsody video (with DTS) is an excellent addition..
    I also found that ELP was a lot easier to listen to but with Queen sometimes the rears did seem to get a boost of sound for no apparent reason.
    I probably owe Stuart an apology but would certainly not say the mixes are appauling. The biggest benefit the Queen disc has is that it's a classic album anyway and even better in the new 5.1 mixes. Maybe lack of software for DVD-A is the reason for me being so defensive and like most I was really looking forward to it. I'm certainly not disappointed but perhaps I wouldn't object to a better version..
    So Stuart please accept my apology...:)

24. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    I've only just got the cables to enable me to listen to this one on DVD-A and I didn't like what I heard to be honest, it just didn't sound right at all to me. Suddenly you'd get very loud vocals coming from one of the speakers and the levels seemed to be up and down throughout. Things would then settle down a bit but then all of a sudden the subwoofer would start to chake the house down with a single bass note :eek:
    I'm the first to admit that I might not have things set up properly for DVD-A, but I don't get this problem listening to the DTS mix.
    PS - sorry to bring up such an old post :D

25. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Wow this is an old one John! However, I was discussing this with another poster the other week. The surround mix isn't good, and it highlights the 'gimmicky' nature of the whole surround idea when it comes to music. In particular as the stereo recording of Night of the Opera is superb and always has been! You can hear (with a quality TT or CD player) some fantastic effects without needing to go multichannel.

The comments you make echo others have made. It's not you m8! :D

26. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    That's good to know ! Time to look for better DVD-A and SACD discs then :)

27. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I only have a handfulof discs myself. Try The Beatles Love Album, Roxy Music (Avalon), or Elton John (Peachtree Road). All are 1st class multichannel mixes, not gimmicky, just awesome fidelity.