Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Anyone got PAL CRT TV working on Linux ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by groovyclam, Oct 27, 2004.

1. groovyclam

groovyclam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Help!

Anyone got Linux working and giving a stable X screen out to a PAL CRT TV ?

I tried configuring X with the modeline that PowerStrip reports for the resolution I use under WinXP, but it is all garbled on the TV.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated !

Thanks

2. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sounds like you just need to tweak it a touch, try changing the scan frequencies slightly :)

Dave

3. groovyclam

groovyclam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Codethief - are you running a linux box ?

4. groovyclam

groovyclam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got it working - so thought I'd say how for future searches by other individuals:

I am using a Radeon 9600 and the special VGA to RGB SCART lead ( mentioned in many threads on this forum ) to send the display to an ordinary UK PAL cathode ray tube TV.
    If you are using the radeon's DVI port to connect to a plasma, LCD display or projector then the following may or may not work - I take no responsibility for breaking your expensive display device...

In Windows switch to the PowerStrip resolution you want to copy to Linux.
    Go into the display settings, "configure" option of PowerStrip.
    Click on advanced timing option.
    Now on the bottom there is a little "copy to clipboard" icon. Click it and go into Notepad and paste. In PowerStrip click "Cancel" until you have closed all its windows.

You can ignore everything copied into Notepad except the last "ModeLine" , this however needs an extra "composite" inserting after the numbers and before the "interlace +hsync +vsync" at the end ( note your "interlace +hsync +vsync" may differ from mine, so just insert "composite" after the numbers - don't change anything else ). Write this modeline down for when you are in linux.

Boot linux - become superuser and cd to /etc/X11.
    You now need to edit your XF86Config-4 file, but first copy it to a backup in case you make a dog's dinner of the editing.

In the "Monitor" section amend the "HorizSync" to be:
    HorizSync 11.5-25.5
    Amend the VertRefresh to be:
    VertRefresh 15-65

Comment out all existing Modelines ( type a # infront to comment out ) and insert your new PowerStrip derived Modeline ( with the extra "composite" in there )

The two I use for a UK PAL Panasonic 50Hz Widescreen TV are ( but only have one active in the file ):

ModeLine "960x540" 19.91 960 1090 1146 1336 540 551 560 600 composite interlace +hsync +vsync

ModeLine "1024x576" 20.38 1024 1084 1132 1272 576 583 588 641 composite interlace +hsync +vsync

The first gives me a 16:9 ratio 960x540 resolution with no overscan, the second gives me a 16:9 ratio 1024x576 resolution with some overscan.

Altering the second to last and third to last numbers ( e.g. the 551 and 560 in the "960x540" modeline ) results in moving the screen up or down vertically. Adding 2 to each of these numbers moves the screen up a pixel and subtracting 2 moves the screen down a pixel.

In the "Device" section check your Driver says "radeon"
    Delete the line:
    Option "DPMS"
    Insert a line:
    Option "ForceMinDotClock" "15MHz"

Scroll down to find the "Screen" section, for each "Display" alter each Virtual value to be the resolution you want, in my case:
    Virtual 960 540
    or
    Virtual 1024 576

Save your file and reboot.

Once the X server restarts at the end stage of the reboot process then the TV display should become stable with your new specified resolution.

If you have problems a log of the startup of the X server can be found in /var/log called something like "XFree86.0.log" - check the date for the most current boot log. Check it for which modelines it is picking up and using or if it is rejecting your modeline for a reason.

For the record, this was all done on Mandrake linux 10.0. I tried SuSe 9.1 but I don't think it had the correct radeon driver ( it may have - I had a quick fumble and gave up on SuSe and went to Mandrake )

5. Higgers

Higgers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A massive thankyou for the info Groovyclam. I've now got Mythtv with three DVB cards running under OpenSUSE 10.0 and outputting to my CRT at 960x540 with minimal overscan. Ace! :clap:

The graphics card I'm using is a Sapphire 9200SE. It's got two video outputs, one VGA and one DVI. I've got the primary video out connected to my CRT and at some point in the future I'd like to use the secondary output for the CRT so that I can have the primary output connected to a PC monitor via my KVM.

Has anyone got a radeon card connected to their CRT via the secondary video output?

Higgers.

6. groovyclam

groovyclam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wondered if anyone would use this!