1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone got (or had) an Hitachi 32PD3000/42PD3000?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sonofmoth, Mar 21, 2003.

1. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm interested :)

2. prusling

prusling
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got the 32PD3000 and I'm very pleased with it. Fire away with any questions.

Cheers, Peter

3. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    why did you choose it ?

did you consider anything else ?

is it noisy ?

any problems ?

what price ?

where from ?

:)

4. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    prusling

I'm also very interested, but this forum seems to be the Panasonic & Pioneer Plasma Forum (not that I have anything against either as I own kit from both)

Plasmas, are still not considered as good as CRT TV's, but a 32" TV dominates a room and just takes away too much living space.

Questions:

1. How, from your experience, does the 32PD3000 compare with a good CRT TV?

2. Does the black contrast level cause a noticable problem?

3. Is solarisation a problem?

4. Any other limitations or problems?

Thanks.

5. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    agreed, it does seem to be dominated by Panny's and Pio's here. I like the look of the Tosh 35" too.

JefUK, I don't know if you've looked but the Hitachi site has a print from What Video. All in all the Hitachi site is one of the better ones for information but like you I want some 'real world' experience of one.

6. prusling

prusling
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi sonofmoth,

why did you choose it ? Initial subjective impression seeing it at Harrods compared with many others, backed up by all reviews, price, connectivity/useability/"wife appeal factor" with tuner, high resolution, looks, size (not as big as a 42" plasma but bigger than a 32" CRT), claimed ALIS-based longevity.

did you consider anything else ? Yes, every other plasma on the market, exhaustively! Second choice would have been a Pannie 37".

is it noisy ? No. Initially I noticed a buzz on high contrast scenes, but when the contrast is set to sensible levels it is not noticeable.

any problems ? Yes, I had to swap my first screen as it had a fault in the panel. Second one is fine, though. Out of the box, the picture quality was disappointing, but after adjusting all of the settings its excellent.

what price ? £2600

where from ? Not sure I'm allowed to say according to fourm rules, but they are based in North London and advertise in What Video!

Hi JefUK,

1. How, from your experience, does the 32PD3000 compare with a good CRT TV? This is a key point. I'd say its mixed - geometry is perfect and high quality sources are better; poorer quality sources are worse although even terrestrial analogue is not bad. If I could get a CRT with perfect geometry and resolution, the picture would probably be better, but I'd lose a decent chunk of my lounge and I've always wanted a hang-on-the-wall TV!

2. Does the black contrast level cause a noticable problem? With "black stretch" up the black level is very good, but at the expense of some intermediate detail, which means that you can't turn the brightness down too far. It is possible to get a good compromise.

3. Is solarisation a problem? It is noticeable, but not really a problem - just a feature!

4. Any other limitations or problems? I've been trying to understand the pros and cons of progressive sources. My latest understanding is that all plasmas/LCDs are naturally progressive and that all DVDs are naturally interlaced - the issue seems to be where the deinterlacing happens and how good is its quality. I've tried progressive sources and didn't notice any significant improvement - that said, its brilliant anyway!

Other positives - Colours are really vivid without any of the bleed you get on CRTs. PAL DVD's are higher res than on NTSC SD-based plasmas such as the Pannies (albeit scaled rather than native). There is no significant lipsync issue (a benefit of ALIS?). Screenburn has not been a problem as I've been sensible.

Hope this helps, Peter

7. vanwel

vanwel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Peter,

So the Hitachi does accept progressive (PAL)?
    Are you saying that the Hitachi is better for PAL discs than the Panny? All this NTSC, PAL, 525 lines, 625 lines, scaling and stuff makes me rather confused...
    And how about screen burning? I'm sensible too, but how about channel logo's? Can you watch a channel with a logo for a few hours safely?

Thanks!

8. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,971
    I briefly had the Hitachi 32PD3000, found it irritating in a few respects..

a) buzzing noise
    b) disappointing blacks
    c) solarisation definitely more noticeable than Panny/Pioneer

The fact it accepts a PAL progressive signal is pretty irrelevant because due to it being an ALIS panel you're better off feeding it an interlaced signal anyway, certainly that was the conclusion I came to during my time with it.

Colours were excellent, it looks nice and it's good for connectivity but there are better options in my opinion.

Cheers,
    Andy.

9. prusling

prusling
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi vanwel,

I believe it does accept PAL progressive but I'm waiting on a driver update for my PC Xcard before I can try it; my comments were for NTSC progressive. Mind you, I'm not sure I'd be able to tell anyway!

I'm not sure whether progressive is important for plasmas as they de-interlace non-progressive signals anyway (or perhaps not with ALIS?!). As far as I know the only difference with a progressive DVD player is that it does the deinterlacing rather than the plasma (or perhaps I've got it all wrong?!).

Its vertical resolution is 1024 so PAL's 576 visible lines from the 625 supported can all be shown (via scaling), whereas many other plasmas are designed for NTSC and can show only 480 from 525 (although they don't need to scale R1 DVD's).

I've only seen temporary screenburn from teletext or logos, which passes quickly when other pictures are displayed or the screenwipe facility is used.

I respect zAndy1's views; all I can say is that these are not significant issues for me, and for my requirements the positives outweight them.

Cheers, Peter

10. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi Peter

Thanks a lot for your experiences, these are very valuable.

Three further questions:

1. Regarding poorer quality souces, eg analogue terrestial, is the problem just due to the larger screen size making it more visible, or is it dergrading the picture in some other way?

2. What settings did you have to change to improve the "out of box" set up?

3. After a week of use do you still get the "wow factor" when you switch on, or are you starting to get irritated by its shortcomings?!

Hi Sonofmoth

The Hitachi web site does contain good information. From Peter's experience it looks as though we may have to open our wallets! If so then we can add our experiences to this site, and help counterbalance the Panny/Pio imbalance.

11. prusling

prusling
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi JefUK,

1. Regarding poorer quality souces, eg analogue terrestial, is the problem just due to the larger screen size making it more visible, or is it dergrading the picture in some other way? I think its the former - the AV tuner box seems to do a good job converting the low-res signal. Its probably an obvious thing to say, but the picture gets subjectively better the further away from the screen you get, as you don't see the granularity!

2. What settings did you have to change to improve the "out of box" set up? The standard settings profiles are awful (as usual); the main changes were to disable sharpness and reduce contrast and colour. I also disabled all of the picture processing initially (which is probably the best setting for DVD's), but tweaking these upwards seems to improve lesser sources (as intended).

3. After a week of use do you still get the "wow factor" when you switch on, or are you starting to get irritated by its shortcomings?! After three months I still do! I haven't got out of the habit of tweaking yet, though...

Cheers, Peter

12. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Peter

Thanks again for the information. It looks as though its time to buy!