1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone got list of DVD Player key shortcuts

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Messiah, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Maybe I'm being stupid but I cannot find a list iof the keyboard shortcuts used to control any of the software DVD players (WinDVD5. PowerDVD XP and Theatertek). As I'm just setting up Girder I could really do with these and have tried just pressing all keys but will not be finding any that are key combinations.

Anyone got a list? Also, anyone know if they all use the same keystrokes, as would make Girder setup a lot easier.

Thanks.

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    You could try what I did - go to the Girder site and download the .gml file for the players etc that you'll be using.

Then re-learn the ir commands by clicking on 'learn event' and pressing the button on your remote.

That's how I got my 709 remote to control PowerDVD4.

I also used the spare number buttons as mouse movement and clicks, and added a tab and return key too. The video button switches the pc off.

The only problem I had was with switching subtitles off, but other than that, everything else works quite well.

There's no reason why you can't use use the same remote for each player, except of course you'll have to unload one player before loading another.

HTH

Gary.

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hey thanks Gary. Didn't even know there were available GML files.

Any idea as well why I cannot get a Ctrl+Alt+Fn key combination to work. Have set up a couple to manage Powerstrip Resolution changes. Work fine direct from the keyboard but although Girder is receiving the IR command and recognises the IR as being linked to the correct Eventstring it will just not action that key combination. very frustrating. Have tried changing it to Ctrl+Shift but same thing. Alt+Fn key works but the 3 key combination just will not.

Thanks again.

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    I'm not that experienced with Girder unfortunately.

I managed to get it working for my needs, but that's it I'm afraid.

I got Zoomplayer to export a .gml file, but couldn't get any learned events to work it. I've given up on that for the moment.. :)

Gary.

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    OK, thanks for the previous tip. Found the .gml files (hidden in some obscure 'export' link :( ). Downloaded and will try tomorrow.

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi N.

The mysteries of Girder 'eh :smashin:

It's late so I won't go on, but Girder is pretty much untouchable in terms of PC/HCPC control.

Rec'd your PM - will "put pen to paper" over the weekend (time permitting - still playing catch up after our break ;) ).

Haven't used Girder (well, new capturing/learning etc...) for some time - back into all that stuff in the coming weeks - new Axim to play with you know :) .

Have quite a few .gml files on the PC - need to have a look at them in the near future. Anything you can do on your keyboard you can do with Girder/an IR-man.

Love my Axim - best thing I've acquired in years :clap:

Will be in touch over the weekend.

:smoke:

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks Kramer. Certainly looks good. However, finding that I cannot do everything I can do on my keyboard. The Ctrl+Alt+Fn key combinations you set up for me do not work with Girder.

Tray icon shows IR is received and if Girder CP is open it associates the IR with the correct Eventstring but just will not action the damned coammand. Driving me nuts :(

Any ideas?

8. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Messiah

Trader Rating:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Senior member :smashin:

As I said, haven't been using Girder for quite some time (well learning/associating etc...) but I had it changing resolutions/monitors etc.. quite easily.

Something simple in there I'm sure (or another way about achieving it).

It's like anything - get proficient in one aspect/software, then "play" with something else (Axim :clap: ) & loose interest/knowledge in earlier achievements.

Girder can/will capture all manner of key commands - maybe come about it from a different aspect...?

Capture Windows based commands rather than Powerstrip commands?

IIRC, this is what I did previously & it worked fine.

Be back into all this lark in the very near future ;)

Fancy a few mins in chat?

9. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Messiah..

I have recently had the same keyboard problem when trying to use CTRL+Shift+key press... I moved to using SHIFT+ALT+F1 F2 etc from the special keys drop down and this has worked very well..

Cheers
    Paul.

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks Paul

I'll give that a go. Least it looks maybe it's not me :)