1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone got/had Philips 9964's

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sonofmoth, Mar 24, 2003.

1. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    either the 32" or 42". I know I've asked about and lust after the Hitachi but I was reading a report that the Philips is pretty good too and it has lots of other goodies that the Hitachi doesn't, like twin tuners etc.

Also, it may be more politically viable as I may be sending back my CRT, Philips 9617.

Anyone got one or experienced one.

TIA

2. pixie

pixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I've got a 32" Phillips 9964, and have been very happy with it. I've had the plasma since August last year, and haven't had any problems with it.

I use it mostly for: playing GC / Xbox games, watching DVD's, watching TV through a telewest set-top box (in that order).

I only know of two other people on this forum with them, they don't seem to be very popular with other forum members, but I really like mine and it's been great - but it depends on what you're looking for from a plasma screen.

Is there anything specific that you wanted to know about it? If so, then feel free to pm me.

Pixie

3. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Pixie

thanks for the reply. I won't PM if you don't mind as there maybe other people interested in something else other than Panasonic :D

Why did you choose the Philips ?

Did you review anything else ?

Any gripes with it ?

TIA

4. pixie

pixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi sonofmoth,

No problem, here's my reasons for buying the screen. :)

Why did you choose the Philips ?

I chose the Philips as I needed a screen that was 37" or less, 37" being the absolute maximum for the space that it was going in.

I was also looking for a screen that had sound and a tuner box(although I was prepared to purchase these as optional extras if needed).

I wanted a screen that could give good picture quality.

I also wanted dual-tuner capability, so that we could play on Xbox whilst someone still watched the TV. And good connectivity so that I didn't have to swap cables.

I also wanted something that would fit into my front room, and not look / feel as though it was a piece of office equipment.

Did you review anything else ?

I narrowed my choice down to a 37" Panasonic (37PW4), a 32" Hitachi (CL32PD2100) and the 32" Philips. However, we did view some others (Sony, LG, Pioneer) just to compare the picture quality and look.

Any gripes with it ?

When you mute the sound, you can hear a buzzing sound, but this isn't particularly loud, and it doesn't seem to be there when the sound is on. This could be because it is so quiet that you can't hear it when the sound is on.

The sword stand was an optional extra, but you do get a wall bracket as standard. But it does look fab on the stand! :D

The tuner box is quite large, the size of an older VCR.

I tend to watch TV on 'auto format' mode, which stretches the image to fill the screen. This looks great and stretches it really well, but on occasion, on fast panning shots, you can see the barrel effect of how it stretches the image. However, this isn't a problem that only occurs on Philips screens. And I can just switch to the native screen signal to remove the effect.

Hope this helps!

Pixie