1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone got experience with rotel rb891 or review

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by mick23, Mar 21, 2003.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    will be getting rb981 soon 130watts X2 to power fronts ,looking at specs for 981 and rb 1070 they are simular, apart from heatfins and trigger, but apart from audioreview i cannot find any reviews from hi/mags etc,

anyone owned or got one of these rb981 thank you

2. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had one for about a year now.

A few days ago I managed to blow all the fuses in it. I was comparing the 981 to the a1sr in stereo. IMHO it was better, a lot easier to listen to, more control and a lot more transparency (using kef RDM 2 Monitors)

The other great thing about the amp is that it’s bridgeable.

Please do let me know your thoughts when it arrives.

3. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for reply tim,
    so you noticed a differance with 981 over the denon is the one you have the £3000 new model, 170watts per channel???

i doubt if i will myself "bridge" the 981 its just that i have learnt by the time you dither about purchasing a reasonably priced item someone else has snapped it up

i too was comparing 985mk1 amp with 3802, biamped using 985s front and rears channels, and blew a fuse in the 3 pin wall socket not the amp, i believe this may have been caused by the y splitter i/c touching not sure though, amp is ok,

hope you get amp sorted ok thanks again

4. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes its fine now, just had to replace all 4 fuses.

Yes, it is the £3000 a1sr.

How much is the 981 that you are looking at?

5. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    tim i saw the 891 on tags website it will cost me £160 as the seller is shipping to me, not sure if this is good price or not, there is also the rb **** i think its the 200watt jobby not sure of model but £300

i tried my 985 mk1 (100watts) tonight in sterio vs denon 3802 (105watts) internal amps was a bit hard to tell any differance, with same volume setting on 3802, so i played same track on cd and used spl meter rather than my cloth ears, rotel produces more volume for same setting as against the denon,

must be rotel watts, i will have to see when 891 arrives,
    thanks tim

6. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those are very good prices, well done!:smashin:

7. fyonn

fyonn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    that'll be the rotel rb991 and it's winging it's way to me.. well, it will be once my cheque clears :) finally I can have all 7 speakers plugged in

dave

8. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    fyonn,
    there is a picture of 991 on superfi web site saying they are discontinued stock, check in store etc , i phoned 2 stores but they do not seem to have any in store or what branch has any left,i was trying to get some idea on pricing etc,

if the 991 is the same model as shown on website it is a very impressing looking and no doubt sounding "beast" will certainly have some "kit rack presance"

i too am awaiting cheque to send to seller so will post once i recieve 891,
    i should recieve the speakers i normally use monday (B&W cdm1nts) to compare against mordaunt -shorts i am using as stand ins, hoping for a noticible improvement with the rotel combo, thanks all

9. fyonn

fyonn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    it is as far as I understand it :) looking at the specs, it seems to be identical to the 1080 but without the 12v triggers, which would be very useful actually but <shrug> anyone know if there are any other differences?

by all accounts it seems a well thought of and powerful beast. which is good, I need something to lock onto my kef ref's and show them who's boss.

but grr.. waiting... waiting.. I almost offered to drive down and collect em :)

dave

10. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    fyonn just noticed that yourself and i are buying our 891 and 991 from same person , cant drive to cambridge no transport, bet you recieve 991 before i get 891
    mick

11. fyonn

fyonn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    heh, thats the whole reason i replied to this thread, I realised we were both buying off the same guy:)

actually, I reckon we'll both get them at the same time. he'll prolly have the couriers pick both up on the same day, which makes sense for him but means one of us sits and waits for a day or two.

I do have transport to get there, but it's about 3 hours from manchester (where I live) and it seems a bit much, would cost more than the courier in petrol. still, they'll arrive eventually :)

dave

12. fyonn

fyonn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    well, I got my 991 today and it looks pretty good. not really had much opportunity to give it a good stretch but that'll come over the next few days.

did you get your 981?

dave

13. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    fyonn got my 891 yesterday, if you plug in your 991 with nothing attached see if the bridged mono indicater lights up, if so you will have to alter jumper settings inside amp, i had to on "891" as i think both amps were used in bridged modes,

tried 891 vs 985 yesterday briefly for 2 channel sterio cant say for sure wether there is much between the two amp (100w vs130w)rotels, have not tried in av, i need to set up channel levels with spl as i reset denon 3802 to factory settings,

what av amp are you using yourself, would be interested in your thoughts with 991 vs av amp sterio and av,

mick

14. fyonn

fyonn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    the 991 doesn't even have a bridged mono light as far as I can remember, however, I gave it a quick ras with the pre-amp test modes and left and right were certainly different.

if I get time tonight I'm going to try and re-do the shelves on my rack so I can fit the new rotel on (raise the bottom shelf and then put my big sony tan9000es on the floor beneath the shelf and he rotel above it.. well, thats the plan at themoment, a tape measure might throw that out :)

well, at the moment I'm using a rotel 1066 pre/pro and a sony tan9000es 5 channel power amp. I used to have a pioneer vsa-e07 intgrated av amp and while it sounded good to me atthe time, hen I bought the big sony (found it on the second hand shelf at my local 7oaks for £300) I suddenly found alot more bass weight and control.

my main speakers are kef ref 1's which are admittedly quite a hard load but I've not really had time to sit down and get to know the rotel 991 one. give me some time :)

dave