Anyone got experience with a Communal Sky Set-up?? - please lookin

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by w3dal, Jun 13, 2003.

1. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    Hi All,

Just moved into my new flat and we share a communal dish but i seem to be having problems picking up most of the (Free no card) channels for example the Channel U music one and most others. I can pick up Sky news and ITV news but all the other channels just came up saying - No satelite Signal being recieved.

Now i have tested the box at my Mum and Dads and it picks them up fine but back at the flat they are all missing (although showing on the epg)- I dont want to subscribe to Sky untill i know that the system is running fine. I have also tried todo a software update at the flat but it fails.

Are there any settings i need to change in the setup menus for a Communal system or do i need to find out who set the system up and get them to take a look, ild like to sort it myself as these things can take allot of phone calls and long waiting times

The signal and Quality strengh in the flat is bang on 3/4 and the box is a Pace2200

Thanks for looking

Dal

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I have used a comunal system i got most of the channels but not all (using FTV card) I would contact the admin people and explain. cant see why only some would drop out but it maybe the restrictions on the LNB etc

3. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply i will find out who installed the system and see what they say - if im going to miss some of the channels then i might just by a Freeview box as im not going to pay Sky for channels i cannot recieve.

Ta

Dal

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    If you are thinking of a sky sub you should get all the "paid for channels" If the aerial system is communal, freeveiw might not work I was living in a block built 12 months ago and freeveiw offered only 6-10 channels so thats why i bought a sky box for FTV channels. Oddly they had not seen any need to install freeveiw distribution!!!!

5. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    Im currently trying to make sure i recieve all the current free channels before i subscribe to Sky otherwise i could find myself paying for a subscription and i cant recieve some of the channels im paying for if that makes sense......

I believe there is a problem with the Satelite set-up as i can recieve more free channels if i hook my digibox upto my Parents dish....

Why isnt anything in life easy!!

Dal

6. edz

edz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    so true ...

We had the exact same problem with a communal problem in our flat which we moved out of last year. At the time we couldnt pick up hallmark and a couple of other channels despite having the top subscription at the time. The people who had originally installed the system had since moved out and the company had gone belly up so we were a little stuffed. At the time my investigations showed it was probably something to do with the distribution box having problems with certain frequencies and not passing them on, it wasnt horizontal / vertical problems since we could receive channels on both.

Then we moved and took the box with us, had a new dish fitted and all the channels came back, (I imagine the same is true of your box since it works when plugged into another dish).

If you are going to be in your current location for a while then I would suggest you (A) check to see if you can have your own minidish - (planning relaxations now allow up to 2 per house I believe but your landlord / freeholder will dictate it) and (B) if you cant then contact the freeholder/landlord and say that since you have to use their multi feed they should contact someone to come and look at the problem.

Cheers

Edz

7. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    HI Edz,

Well i only moved in last week and i plan to be here a good few years yet as the location is fantastic. It looks ill have to find out who installed the system and get them to come and have a look - you would of thought that they had tested it by plugging a digibox into one of the flats and see what they recieve.

I have a key to the System and it looks very impressive it goes from a 4lnb feed into allsorts of Phillips boosters and splitters.

I have thought about getting a freeview box instead but with 18 of us all feeding off that i doubt very much that will work either.

I pay a service charge each year which in theory should entitle me to have this looked at and get fixed.

I also could find out who else is having problems but at the mo there are only 5 flats out of the 18 which are currently being used.

Thanks for your help its nice to know im not alone in this!!

Dal

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Sounds like a similar setup to the one i have until tomorrow. Except we have 8 channels fed into the RF lead free!!! A hotel system. free channels are often in the extremes of the spectrum and narrow bandwidth. Ask if any of the occupied flats have sky and if they get all the pay channels. Or ring sky and ask them about it.

9. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    Hi,

I spoke to one of the guys in the block yesterday and he is sorting out Sky in his flat this week, so he is going to let me know how his set-up goes. I will be making a call to find out who installed the system in the morning and see if they can come and look at the set-up - we paid allot of money for these flats and you would think they would install a decent Tv and Sat system....

Dal

10. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many I.F. distribution systems that were installed in the early days of Sky Digital do not support switching to low band - the 22kHz signal is permanently on. So you can't get BBC, ITV, Fashion TV, Disney etc.

If the head-end can be changed to support 22kHz band switching then that is "all" that's needed - but it could be expensive. Make sure a "quattro" LNB is fitted to the dish.

Fman

11. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    This system was only put up about a month ago, so u would assume that they would of put up the correct LNB for all channels but as u can see from my post they have not....

Is there a website i can read up on about these Quattro LNB's just so when i call them to come out i have infomation to back it up!!

Dal