Anyone got any good false ceiling ideas / pictures for lounge / projector room

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
I have my dad round decorating currently, he's about to start on the lounge and the ceiling in there is currently artex swirls I want to get rid of. He's not as fast as he used to be and so he's not keen on plastering over the artex (4.0m x 4.6m) as is not sure he can do the job quick enough to make it look good, i.e. one bit sets before he's finished smoothing it.
I don't want to rip the ceiling down as have 4 spot lights, 4 atmos speakers and a recessed projector screen. My mate said why don't we just add a false ceiling, I guess find the joists, put in a few wooden strips and fix a slightly lower ceiling to that, say an inch lower than the current one. If possible if we could then leave a gap round the edges so it does not touch the current coving then we can also put some hidden rope / mood lighting (Philips hue / Alexa or something) around the edge. Also as it's not the real ceiling I could take the opportunity to make it a more projector friendly material / colour, i.e. a grey / dark colour or even some kind of fabric material covering, a.k.a. a star filled sky at night look etc.
I've tried to google some picture, but they show lighting round the edge of a room behind an edge pelmet, so the main ceiling is higher than the pelmet, but I want the main part of the ceiling to be lower than the edges. Anyone done this or seen anything like this?

unreel

This one looks rather funky....

Attachments

• Lowered ceiling.jpg
    Lowered ceiling.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 1,293

derekhansen

I think what you are describing is usually referred to as a ceiling raft. Depending on how much you want to suspend it from the main ceiling, battens fixed to the joists would be fine. If you use plasterboard you will need to use an edge trim to give a neat finish. Fitting led lighting strip to the underside and inset from the edge around the perimeter so that you can't see it will give a nice effect.

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the term, will google that. Doesn’t need to be too low, in fact the least amount of drop the better as its just a normal height ceiling. I also already have an ugly plug sat in the middle of the ceiling that would get hidden from when I had a short throw pj which could be used to power the hue strips.

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
Does anyone have any recommendation on material I could use to cover a ceiling raft? If I did this would I cut holes in it for the speakers and spot lights or am I best loosing the lights and getting something AT to put the speakers behind? If going for an AT material I’d need something dark enough so the plasterboard or ply behind it is not visible or maybe I just paint it before covering it?

derekhansen

I would go for a fabric finish.

Curtain Fabric, Dressmaking & Upholstery Fabric - Whaleys Bradford

This fabric supplier has a wide range. I will be buying their black Devore velvet to go around the projector screen I will soon be installing. The Devore has a good reputation on AVF for light absorbency.

Tissu Fabrics - Home page

This supplier again has a wide range and looks very competitive. I will be buying some cotton velvet to cover acoustic panels. The sample I had from them looks good.

Of course you dont have to use velvet.

If the fabric you buy is not particularly heavy I would just stretch it over the raft and secure it on the back with staples. For extra security you could glue it as well by using a spray adhesive.

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
Thanks, woukdnthise material ms be acoustically transparent or do I cut holes in them for the ATMOS speakers?

derekhansen

From memory I think the Devore is. Try a search on the forums as there are quite a few posts about it. Unfortunately I cannot confirm whether the Cotton Velvet from Tissu fabrics would be suitable to put your speakers behind. I think it would but again try a search on here to check discussion on AT fabrics.

wattwatt

I’ve just installed two acoustic fabric panels in my lounge/cinema room with Rako controlled LED strips for added effect that hide my Atmos speakers and they look and sound great :)

I’ll take some pictures tomorrow in the light so can see the full effect but here they are lit up.View attachment 923592

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom