1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone got a Toshiba SD-100E and can recommend it?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Popester, Nov 21, 2000.

1. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have it modified for R1-6 and are there any films you've had problems with. Thinking of buying one for someone for Christmas.

Thanks in advance.

2. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I have had a Toshiba 100 (multi reg and 'video friendly') for about three months now.

As long as you are not going to use it as a CD player as well - I think it's superb. The picture and cinema sound (I have it running through a Yamaha 800) are stunning.

It doesn't have tons of features and playing CD's is not recommended - the CD sound is pretty awful. That wasn't a consideration for me though as I have a Rotel 991 CD player for music and simply wanted to bolt on a home cinema to my existing Hi-Fi. As far as home cinema goes I think it's about as good as it gets for the money (and some).

The only reservation I have is it's inability to play R1 RCE protected titles properly (you can play them but only with a handset hack). The only release at the moment with RCE is the Patriot. However, having watched this the other night (using the handset hack) I thought the film was a pile of poo anyway !!!. Great picture and sound though.

I see that Techtronics.com (I didn't get mine from them but I should have as they seem to be the only people addressing the RCE problem) are doing a stonking deal on the Tosh 100 including a free RCE upgrade when available (note that the prices shown on their site don't include VAT until check out!).

With regard to any difficult discs - I have not yet come accross one that causes any problems (menus, extra's, lipsync etc).

Buy one!

3. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for that, very comprehensive and useful. It's a present for my parents so I want to get it right. The Techtronics deal looks good so I'll go for that. How do you do the RCE handset hack though?

Best regards

Popester [​IMG]

4. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It was posted on the front page of www.multiregionmagic.com a couple of weeks ago. Don't know if it's still there though. [​IMG]

5. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The hack is detailed within the Techtronics site. You'll find it under the RCE update bit.

Enjoy

6. bradavon

bradavon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is half away down on this site -
    http://www.techtronics.com/ttn/shop/510-rce.html

The instructions are as follows though (From Techtronics) -

Toshiba 100, 200, 2109 trick:
    Enter the disc.
    Wait for the RCE warning sign (world map)
    Press MEMORY on the remote control.
    Press 01 in the Title Box.
    Press 00 in the Chapter Box.
    Press ENTER

Note: The movie will play, but MENU will not work.

Experimenting with title 2 and chapter 1 etc will get you the special features.

7. bradavon

bradavon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The same hack as above but from Multiregion Magic -
    http://www.multiregionmagic.co.uk/rce.html

Or (fromm MultiRegion Magic) -

TOSHIBA SD2109/SD100
    (Not tested on other Toshiba machines but this may also work (please let us know if it does!))

We are working on a 100% solution to the RCE issue for these players but in the mean while you can play RCE discs by doing this.

Wait for the message to say you cannot play this disc (HA HA) and ....

Press MEMORY
    Select TITLE 1, CHAPTER 1
    Press PLAY, & then CLEAR (This is to clear the memory when playing, otherwise you will only see chapter 1)
    The film will now play !