1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone got a Tosh 17WL46 or 17WLT46 ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Mr Sparkle, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Mr Sparkle

Mr Sparkle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am thinking about getting the WLT (built in digital tuner) version and would be interested to hear of any comments from existing users of this Toshiba model. Or any other 17" 16:9 recommendations.

Thanks in advance,
    Mr Sparkle

2. M5Driver

M5Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am on the verge of ordering one of these (with built in freeview) and any feedback or reviews etc would be very much appreciated. :lease:

3. PeteM

PeteM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I was concidering the 17WLT46 until I discovered the LCD panel is a 15:9 type - hence neither optimised for widescreen or standard broadcasts.

Incidently I believe all 17" LCD panels are 15:9 at present.

4. BobD

BobD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 17WLT46 for use in the bedroom as a second TV and the picture is very good using the freeview tuner after I upgraded the aerial to a Televes DAT45 with MRD. The picture from analogue tv signals is OK and watchable, but nowhere near the quality of freeview. The picture from a PANASONIC E55 DVDR and SKy+ through the aerial input is also OK but does suffer from the digitisation process as do most digital Tv's. Viewing from the acute angles is not too good with a distinct blue/purple tint but this is not a problem where the tv is used.
    Anyone considering purchasing should view one first and compare against other models as I did at John Lewis Bluewater.
    The direct digital feed from Freeview to the LCD screen is the obvious solution for LCD TV reception and surprising that more LCD TV's do not offer this facility.
    I can receive all freeview transmissions in Horsham West Sussex from the Midhurst transmitter a distance of 29 Km excepting the 2 muxes deliberately sectored out at the transmmitter.
    Would highly recommend the Toshiba 17WLT46.

5. shaukat

shaukat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    .. well, i've just had to send my toshiba idtv back to the retailer for testing, it has a faulty idtv tuner on it .. well according to the tv antenna guy,it may have, picking up no dtt channels - it comes up with no signal or the screen becomes littered with artifacts .. good thing it has an dual format tuner, good old analogue..

For connectvity: it has a variety of sockets for a variety of uses, 2 x scart - 1 x svideo - 1x component rgb and a vga input .. but the one snag here is if your mounting it on a desk or a table and connecting a vga cable, in order to use it as a monitor, youll find it a struggle, as youll have limited space, given the cables thickness.

For the price: worth while the investment, if it was a true 16:9 wide (1280 x 720), but given its a 15:9 wide (1280 x 720), its not that bad but you get what you pay for and personally, i think toshiba have pulled all the stops on this baby.

6. Mr Sparkle

Mr Sparkle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Dudes, good to get some comments and feedback from other users. I'll try checking out my local JL to see what they have in store. I'm also now thinking of upping the ante and looking at the Hitachi 22LD4500 also with iDTV.....22" vs 17" it's a tough call....more cash...more inches...

Thanks,

Mr Sparkle