Anyone got a Sonos multi room system?

johndon

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As per the header really, has anyone got one of these and what do you think of it?

It's currently getting rave reviews and I really fancy the idea of installing one in my new house particularly as it can access tracks from a NAS and, therefore, doesn't need a PC to be on all the time.

John

Several people on the UKHA - yahoo forum have had them fro 6 months or so.

Seem to be loved by all.

Thanks vex, I'll take a look over there.

John

johndon said:
As per the header really, has anyone got one of these and what do you think of it?

It's currently getting rave reviews and I really fancy the idea of installing one in my new house particularly as it can access tracks from a NAS and, therefore, doesn't need a PC to be on all the time.

John

You might check out SONOS fourm at http://forums.sonos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12 Most of its owners hang on on this fourm and they are very helpful. It sounds like a great system if you wish to have a multi zone set up without any hassles. The remote really makes it a good and affordable system.

Regards,

Got mine last week :) 3 x ZPs and the Controller. Absolutely bl00dy superb. Best bit of kit I have bought in ages. The ability to be able to play my digital music anywhere in the house and control it from anywhere is just a revelation. Also, the ability to have different music or synced music throughout the house with the ease of use of an iPod is just stunning.

I have also connected a DAB adapater to the line input on one of the ZPs so I can have crytal clear DAB radio anywhere in the house also. I am in love with this thing. Oh, and the Controller is a joy to behold. Beautiful colour screen, dead easy uasge and so mush information about current, next tracks etc and also the beauty of full colour cover art is just the dogs danglies :)

If anyone is thinking about getting one, or sitting on the fence, then get out there and use that credit card :) I am certain you will not regret it. Sure, it's not cheap, but then nothing that is this good and/or of this quality ever is. Worth every penny IMO.

Thanks for that Messiah, one of the things I hadn't found out was if a source connected to one zone player could be accessed from another. It's going to be top of the shopping list once we get into the new house :thumbsup:

John

Hi John

it works a treat, though there is a very slight lag on the audio if you are using it to distribute AV sources such as Sky.

We have a document that covers a range of hints and tips for the Sonos, drop me a PM if you want and I will mail you a copy.

cheers

What CPU config is recommended to supply Sonos ZPs? I have a 600Mhz PC in the garage which has a drive with 70Gb of music. It seems to wirelessly send this to a PC in the kitchen no problems but there is a delay.

Do Sonos recommend a better spec for the host PC? And what impact does a lower spec have? More memory? Faster CPU?

If I had a 3Ghz processor and 1Gb ram (which I need for other stuff anyway) will this speed up the send of data?

Will a low speed CPU be able to send data to 3 ZPs without problem?

I don't think the processer speed makes much difference as, once setup, if you've got your music on a NAS device, you no longer need to have the PC switched on.

John

John,
Have to back up everything Messiah says. It really is the 'bees knees', 'mutts knutts' etc. etc. :thumbsup:

I have 3 zones and 1 controller and the only thing stopping me getting more is financial. This kit slots in at number 2 of things I couldn't live with, the iPod being number one and Skyplus newly demoted to number 3.

I saw this system in a magazine on a Tuesday, did the research by reading the reviews ordered it in the afternoon and it was delivered and installed by Thursday. I though I was in for a kicking from the wife as it was another unauthorised spend but she loves it and that's because it just works.

I had two minor setup problems which were easily solved. Firstly there was interference with my DECT phones but that was fixed with a change of wireless channel on Sonos. The second was more awkward, I was running Checkpoint Securemote client on my PC to give me a VPN link to my office and Sonos didn't seem to like this. The only way round it was to disable the VPN s/w but Sonos are looking into it. As I don't use the VPN very often this is not a big issue.

It seems to me that Sonos have brought out a fully featured and well thought out product. Check out the forums on www.sonos.com for lots more happy owner. Buy it you won't regret it.

Oh and by the way if you plug a source into one ZonePlayer it is available on all other ZP's - how cool is that! :clap:

I had a play with this system today at the What HiFi Show - I like it A LOT!!! I'd read the spec when it was first launched, but was disappointed with the lack of digital output, well there's a new unit available early in the new year that adds digital output and loses the amp - perfect for connecting into an existing system...

Really the 1st question is aimed at Messiah since he has posted that he has a DAB adapter linked to his Sonos. This sounds really cool.

What is the model/manufacturer of your solution and how do you manage to control radio station selection etc (seperate remote?).

Also there have been several references to a future ampless (digital only) Sonos zone player. Does anyone know (if) when this is actually going to arrive or is it simply a discussion point that it may arrive in 2006.

many thanks in advance

Just got my Sonos system in the last few days - great service from David @ PluggedIn by the way.

Had a few problems setting it up as it insisted on downloading the latest version of the software before it would work (and I don't, yet, have an internet connection at the new house).

Took it to the office to set it up and it now works like a charm, I'm very impressed.

John

evenodds said:
Really the 1st question is aimed at Messiah since he has posted that he has a DAB adapter linked to his Sonos. This sounds really cool.

What is the model/manufacturer of your solution and how do you manage to control radio station selection etc (seperate remote?).

I use the Dixons DAB adapter. £30. It has it's own remote, though I just leave it tuned to BBC R2 and have named the Line In source as Radio 2. Works a treat. Never ever dropped out once.

Still love the Sonos system. One of the best AV products I have ever bought.

Glad to hear I've made the right choice with the Sonos system I've purchased. I just need some advice to help me set it up correctly:

I understand I need to buy a router (as currently my broadband modem plugs directly into m PC - what make/speed/type of router do you recommend?

I was thinking about making my interent access wireless, so that we can use a laptop to access anywhere in the house - does this change the answer to the question above re routers?

Will I need any other equipment ?

I have 6 zone players and 3 controllers........

Can't wait to get it up and running !

Sidicks

Is your BB cable or ADSL..?

SimonO said:
Is your BB cable or ADSL..?

Ok - you've already reached the limits of my techinical IT knowledge...

It is through Bulldog, so I think it is ADSL. How can I be sure?

sidicks

Netgear make the most reliable home routers in my experience... I'm using the cable version of the one below and the wireless range is substantially better than the 'g' router it replaced, not cheap, but well worth the additional expense IMO... The bottom link is for the corresponding laptop card...

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_modem_router_dg834pn.php

http://www.nickknows.com/description.php?id=1528

http://www.nickknows.com/description.php?id=456&name=Netgear-WPN511-RangeMax-MIMO-Laptop-Card

Bear in mind that the router needs to be wired to a) your phone line (via a filter), b) your main PC and c) your first ZonePlayer... I recently installed a simple two zone Sonos system for a friend which used a Buffalo LinkStation NAS for storage allowing access to music without having to have the main PC switched on...

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/storage.php

If you have the budget, this NAS is hard to beat ATM...

http://www.infrant.com/products_ReadyNAS_X6.htm

Ok, I think I know what I need...........

What about:
1) If I have 6 Sonos Zone players - does that mean I require more equipment?
2) If at some point I may want to use on-line gaming for Xbox360 or Playstation3, should that effect the equipment I buy at this stage?

Thanks for your inpput.

Sidicks

sidicks said:
Ok, I think I know what I need...........

What about:
1) If I have 6 Sonos Zone players - does that mean I require more equipment?
No, you'll be running the remaining ZonePlayers wirelessly...
2) If at some point I may want to use on-line gaming for Xbox360 or Playstation3, should that effect the equipment I buy at this stage?
The router provides four 'ports' for hardwiring equipment, one will be taken by the PC, one by the first ZonePlayer, leaving two free... Assuming you don't have existing CAT5e cabling round your house any device will need to be physically close to the router, alternatively you can connect almost any network device (inc. games consoles) wirelessly...

i have used the home plug system very successfully to do away with the first wired zone player.A real boon!

Hi

This all sounds brilliant but how would it work for an old time cd collector like me!!

Dont understand where the music comes from - daft i know.

Now I am really interested in this. My only problem is the first sonos box. At the moment none of my computers are hard wired to my adsl broadband modem because this is wireless. So will I have to move this and wire it in to a computer even if I use a NAS. Also my modem is in the middle of the house and I dont really want a sonos player here so what can I do? What is the sound quality like with decent speakers? Sorry for so many questions.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom