1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone got a Sharp 30HV4E....?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by PhilipH, Oct 22, 2004.

1. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...and could try something regarding the serial port for me?

I'm trying to find out whether that model uses the full Sharp serial protocols which allow serial commands for power on and power off and I have no local dealer who I can ty it myself at.

Cheers

Phil

2. RichardP

RichardP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got one, but I have no idea how to send it a command via the serial port, you will have to tell me exactly what to do (I know my way around a PC just not the Sharp serial protocols).

3. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhha! Cool...

...basically Sharp have a load of discrete commands so that you can make your set do exactly what you want via a serial port - choose a specific AV input, choose a specific display aspect ratio etc. - without you having to use toggles which can get out of sync very easily.

They also have "Power On" and "Power Off" commands - which is great except that the "Power On" command doesn't work as when the set is in Standby mode then only the IR receive circuits are live and sending a Power On to the serial port is just ignored.

I have found a command which keeps the serial port alive so you can wake the TV from its slumber by a serial port "Power On" command and I got confirmation from a mate last night that it works with his 32GA4E (I think) - I just want to find out whether it works on the 30HV4E (which is one of several sets I'm looking at).

If you're up for trying this out then run me through a Private Message and we'll talk by email ... I have all the serial port protocols here so hopefully it should be easy and quick enough to test.

Cheers

Phil

4. RichardP

RichardP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phil,

Sorry, I didn't read your post correctly, I have a G37HV4E not the G30HV4E. I don't know if that's still of interest.

I can tell you that it does respond to IR discrete commands, I use them all the time.

Let me know if you still want me to test something.

Richard

5. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I've settled on the GA4E model (just trying to decide between the 32" - which I want - and the 26" - which is £500 cheaper) - I know that the GA3/4E series will do what I need.

Thanks very much for the offer of trying the serial comms though...

Phil