1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone got a Projecta Proscreen?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nanker, Jan 22, 2003.

1. nanker

nanker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have got one and are reading this, could you kindly tell me why I cant seem to get the thing to roll back up? The enclosed instructions are rubbish, and although there is not much invoved in mounting it, I would like to know how to get the darned thing up again. It does mention a "slat bar" but I am not sure what this is referring to or what I am meant to do with it. I would have thought tugging it like a roller blind would work but nooooo:confused:

help

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're not alone - my missus can't still (or won't :( ) "roll up" our Projecta Procinema.

You need to pull it down about 6 inches lower than it's "locked" position i.e. where it is now. Then let it up fairly quickly, so as to not allow the locking mechanism to reengage.

The slat bar is the bottom bar on the bottom of the screen, with the handle in the middle.

Takes a bit of practice.

Just make sure you keep hold of it all the way up!!!

3. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, a quick tug down and a controlled ascent :)

Once you got the skill you'll wonder what the problem was ;)

-- Jon

4. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kramer - how do you find the fabric on the projecta screens?

I'm looking at the electric projecta screens at the moment. I've got my eye on the Electrol CinelPro and Eletrol ProCinema. I've no idea what the difference between these two models is and I'm trying to find out.

When I have a good price and technical info I'll post the details.

I've just painted my wall grey this morning as an experiment. But so far it looks bad. I think when the paint dries it will look a lot better - fingers crossed anyway.

5. nanker

nanker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Kramer and gothmog

Got it up - ooh er misses - at last! I guess I was just being too carefull with it.

6. RASH PATEL

RASH PATEL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nanaker,

I am looking to buy a screen,please could you tell me where
    you bought yours from and at what price?

Thanks,

Rash

7. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    John N,

Fabric is fine but you need to leave it fully open for a day or too as it stinks lol, Kramer will confirm this ;)

ring metroplan as I think they are probably the cheapest in the UK, they don't list all the projecta screens on there website so get the model number of the one your interested in from projecta's site then give the details to metroplan.

http://www.metroplan.co.uk/metroplan/index2.html

8. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks for the advice. I couldn't get the link to work and I got a call from nexnix about a screen. They quoted me £440 including VAT and delivery for a Projecta ProCinema Electrol 180*102 which is a big improvement on £800 I saw advertised elsewhere.

It's being delivered end of next week so I've got a week to put the decor in my TV room back to normal again and get rid of my painted on grey rectangle.

9. nanker

nanker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rash

I got my projecta screen quite cheap (£200) from Klompett. I cannot recommend them to you though as we are in dispute over their very late delivery and total lack of customer service (they don't even have a phone number for god's sake), which led to me missing several days work.

10. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    The fabric quality of the projecta screens isn't as good as something like a Draper though - in front of a window light shines through.

Still can't complain at mine, £220 for an 8' wide 16:9 screen is a bargain!

12. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Projecta are owned by Da-lite and I just assumed they used Da-lite materials. Are Draper's screen materials better than Da-lite then.
    I haven't got a screen yet and have so far only got samples from Harkness Hall.

Is there much difference between brands?

Mat

13. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Other way around ;)

Not IMO. Numerous mentions of "ripples" etc. Not saying all Draper screens are like this though - Draper do some very nice stuff.

My Projecta is an excellent screen - no rippling, edge curl etc..Good heavy material.

AFAIK, JSW is also very happy with his Projecta Procinema.

Probably differences between the material used in screens from different ranges, eg. Procinema/Proscreen - both by Projecta.

14. Harps

Harps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently ordered a Cinema Electrol screen. Having read posts on the forum I have been looking in more detail at the Cinelpro Electrol screen.

The only difference I can see is that the material on the Cinema Electrol is thinner. Do this mean that this screen will not be as good as the thicker Cinelpro Electrol screen and be more likely to curl at the edges???

15. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I was only repeating what the projecta website said. :confused:

Do you roll the screen up after every movie or leave it down more often.
    Does rolling up the screen make a difference to the likely appearance of ripples? Good or Bad.

Mat

16. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, certainly looks that way from their site, but I'm told by a distributor (& read somewhere) that Projecta are actually the parent company. Probably some corporate thing we'll never understand.

Always roll mine up after viewing - window directly behind it you see. I'd personally leave it down, but I value my manhood too much :D

IMO, ripples are caused by a poorly made product. The bottom "slat bar" must be perfectly straight, & the material correctly tensioned.

Rolling up shouldn't increase or decrease the likelyhood of ripples - after all, a retracting screen is designed for ..........retracting.

My Projecta Procinema hasn't ever shown any sign of ripples.

17. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I am also looking at a new screen.

I currently have the Draper Luma and fing the ripples anoying. I have seen an Owl screen at 7oaks HiFi and the material was quite a bit thicker. For a 7' screen they quoted just over £700 + £100 for the control unit. I have also been trying to get proces for the Projecta Cinelpro Electrol which used the Matt whit M screen fabric. This fabric is twice as thick as their other screen materials (See here - http://www.projecta.nl/screeninfo3.htm#matt).

As I have never seen one I cant comment on how it compares with the Owl though which is a same and leaves me in a quandry as I would like to get the price down but not to the expence of having dreaded ripples :)

18. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nexnix can probably get you the projecta cinelpro electrol in Matt White M.

I was looking at the specs for that for the same reason - thicker more rigid material.

In the end I decided to go for the Projecta Procinema Electrol in Matte White S. It's 180cm*102cm and cost me about £450 I think from the above supplier.

I asked what the situation would be about 'ripples' or 'creases' in the screen. They said that the warranty would cover that because being an electric screen, if it gets ripples or creases then something is not working correctly. I think the warranty was for a number of years (3 or 5).

The thing that persuaded me to buy an electric over the pull-down manual was the thought that in any manual system there might be room for error pulling it down, winding it up etc and that might possibly contribute to the fabric deterioration. I also reasoned that the roller in an electric screen is sometimes larger diameter (to fit the motor inside the roller) that the manual version and so might contribute more to the lack of creasing of the material.

Just a thought. :)
    J

19. gecko

gecko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I got a quote for a manual projecta procinema (106" diagonal) of £299 (EX vat). Is this about right? There seems to be quite a variation in screen prices... I may still make a screen, but I just received a tax rebate and the money is burning a hole in my pocket!

Steve

20. RASH PATEL

RASH PATEL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I bought my projecta screen, manual, 92 inch Diagonal, from
    NExnix for £135

Rash

21. jaybeegee

jaybeegee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Iam after a screen.Not bothered wether its electric, main thing i am concerned about is that the screen will be in front of french windows. do your screens have a black lining on back? or are they thick enough to prevent light shing thru ?

cheers if anyone can help

jay

22. shaun p

shaun p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys

I looked into screens,and most of the expense seems to be in the
    electrics .the cost of the same screen in a manual version is
    considerably cheaper. thus a manual screen comes in at roughly
    the same price as a quality blackout roller blind from a good
    blind manufacturer.
    As I work for a blind company I got a 8ft one real cheap and it works great. Alll I did was remount the fabric onto a more sturdy barrel with a diameter of about 50mm to eliminate ripples and put in a heavier bottom bar.;) Its now mounted behind my curtain pelmet with a sidewinder operation, so no awkard jerking motions to roll the thing back up. So far I have watched 6 movies on my new HS10 and it makes for fantastic viewing.:smoke:

I did get fabric samples through the post from one screen maker and two of them were almost identical to our roller blind fabrics.

It would be nice to have a screen with black borders and remote control but for me price was an issue and I belive I have a fantastic screen for next to nothing but the actual cost would have been just under £200:D

23. Russ

Russ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have just visited the Projecta booth at Cebit.
    From what I can see, there are no issues with curl even with the thin material screens, although if you look across the screen from one edge to another then you can see that the screens are not perfectly flat (for this you do need tab tensioning).

24. TB

TB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does anyone know if the Projecta screens have extra drop and are they framed in black?

Been looking at the Draper Luma which has 12" of extra drop and frames the screen in 2" of black. This is all great but it costs £100 more that a projecta slimscreen.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

25. Russ

Russ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    They are framed in black. take a look at the website.