Anyone got a Hybrid bike?

NewBeetle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I come from a strong history of full on mountain biking. I live pretty close to forests and the lakes so have in the past been very into mountain biking. I am currently awaiting my cycletowork voucher that I applied for after giving up smoking recently (3 weeks tomorrow :clap:). The voucher only allows me to spend up to £500 on a bike which is a shame, but hey ho, it's tax free etc and hardly noticeable on the pay packet. Now I know my MTB's, and with the limited budget and having to buy from halfords as my employer doesn't do the scheme with the other suppliers I was pretty much settled on the Voodoo Hoodoo

Halfords | VooDoo Hoodoo Mountain Bike 2011/2012 - 18"

I then began to think how this bike is probably only going to be used for a little leisurely riding around my home town and to work and back, If I get back into cycling like I hope to then I will be getting something of higher quality. That made me think about hybrids as 95% of what this bike will do will be on the road. So I was thinking of this Boardman one (only decent one in budget)

Halfords | Boardman Performance Hybrid Comp Bike 2011/2012 - Small 18"

I suppose what I am asking is has anyone gone from MTB's to a hybrid and how have you found the switch? The really skinny wheels & tyres kinda freak me out a bit :laugh: but I realise they are what makes it faster etc. Any thoughts?

Another option is buy the MTB and chuck some slicks/semi slicks on it.

Last edited:
I also have a Hybrid - mines a Specialized Sirrus Sport. Also bought on Ride to Work scheme

I love mine and use it on roads and local canal towpaths. Copes pretty well. Anything boggier than a towpath and it would struggle

I've had an MTB in the past but never done any serious off roading. Idid a 90 miler (smooth trail and road) last year with a friend. He had an MTB with road tyres on and what let him down over the distance was the gearing. When I was cruising in higher gears he was spinning his legs like a loon. So if you are going to do a lot of roadwork then I'd suggest a Hybrid would be preferable over the MTB with road tyres
if I was doing 100% road I'd get a road bike but its great to be able to take the Hybrid off road sometimes

The one issue I did have on my skinnier tyres (apart from less grip) was constant punctures. I bought some Kevlar reinforced Schwalbe Marathons and they really helped. Not had a puncture since
Also look at full length mudguards for the road - not that attractive but well worthwhile. Arriving at work splattered in mud and rain is no fun. I use SKS ones which are great IMO

The one issue I did have on my skinnier tyres (apart from less grip) was constant punctures. I bought some Kevlar reinforced Schwalbe Marathons and they really helped. Not had a puncture since
Also look at full length mudguards for the road - not that attractive but well worthwhile. Arriving at work splattered in mud and rain is no fun. I use SKS ones which are great IMO

I don't leave home without them sniffer.... Best tyres out there for road and cycle lane riding. Had only 2 punctures in the 3+ years I've had my bike and i've used it a hell of a lot during each spring and summer. Well worthy investment is to upgrade your tyres to Schwalbe Marathons :smashin:

Would always still recommend to take a spare inner tube and the appropriate tools along with you just in case though :)

I've got a boardman team hybrid and it's fantastic. It was weird going from an MTB to a hybrid but if there's anything other than serious off roading then I always go for the hybrid. It copes fine with canal towpaths and would no doubt cope with a decent trail if I went for it but is also nice and fast on the road.

Mudguards are a great idea, the sks ones are excellent.

Thanks guys, I think I'm gonna have a go on the hybrid when my voucher arrives next week (hopefully). I'll update the thread and let u know which way I go.

Well I have been down to halfords for a test ride of the 3 bikes that are possibilities.

1: Boardman Hybrid, first thing that springs to mind is light, very light. The second thing that came to mind was twitchy, I can see how this was way faster than a MTB and takes so much less effort to get the same speed distance. I'm still not sure I would adjust well, I never felt completely in control, but I guess that's what comes from years and years of mountain biking.

2: Voodoo Hoodoo, felt quite similar in geometry to previous Kona hardtails I have owned/ridden. Pretty comfortable, decent weight, probably the easy option for me.

3: Wildcard entry: Carrera Kraken, felt every bit as good as the voodoo above but looked much better, not sure if the bike snob in me can bring myself to get a Carrera Halfords | Carrera Kraken Mountain Bike 2011/2012 - Small 16"

Gonna give it some thought and get one over the next few days as my voucher is here now ready to print.

I was very twitchy on my boardman but soon got used to it if that helps.

I was very twitchy on my boardman but soon got used to it if that helps.

Dave are the wheels strong enough for bombing down flights of steps, and up and down curbs etc? They just look so fragile to me.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say I bomb up and down stuff but it easily handles the rough stuff and kerbs etc.

It's more road orientated but is certainly capable of rough stuff too.

I bottled out of the hybrid :blush:

But, I did read the T&C's and realised that I could order in a bike through Halfords from brands that they do not sell. So just ordered this beauty:

CUBE Aim Disc black

aim-blue_082.jpg

Quite excited actually. :clap:

I bottled out of the hybrid :blush:

But, I did read the T&C's and realised that I could order in a bike through Halfords from brands that they do not sell. So just ordered this beauty:

CUBE*Aim Disc black

Quite excited actually. :clap:

It looks very nice :cool:

It seems to weigh more than i would have thought though which is surprising as i thought modern bikes would be lighter than older ones. As an example my 16 year old Gary Fisher, that is in the process of going through some form of restoration, is sub 11kg or will be once complete. It is not a criticism but more of an observation really :)

It seems to weigh more than i would have thought though which is surprising as i thought modern bikes would be lighter than older ones. As an example my 16 year old Gary Fisher, that is in the process of going through some form of restoration, is sub 11kg or will be once complete. It is not a criticism but more of an observation really :)

Sign of the times, for what are really entry level bikes these days. Cheap forks plus hydraulic disc brakes is usually 14-15kg so not too bad on this one actually.

I see what you mean, The XT groupset but Alu frame (well monocoque) are just sub 10kg so i will see if i can get mine a few more grams lighter :D

inzaman said:

I think people worry way too much about weight, i bought a cube that weighs in at 13kg and its a dream to ride

I think people worry way too much about weight, i bought a cube that weighs in at 13kg and its a dream to ride

Maybe but when going up hill or even on a good stretch of straight track or road personally i'd rather be pushing 2.5-3kg less :)

Got the Cube yesterday, very very happy with it. Only negative is the forks a bit meh, but seems stiff enough even if travel and rebound are a bit 'cheap'. Rode it home from Halfords yesterday, and then a few times round the block to get used to riding again (it's been too long). Took it up to my mothers and back (3miles round trip) and boy were the bones in my butt aching like hell last night :blush:

So was planning to let my buttocks recover today but the urge was too strong so took it out this morning along a coastal cycle path that starts about .5 mile from my house and has a cafe at a lifeboat house at the far end. About 2.5 miles each way and mixture of tarmac path, gravel and few muddy singletrack sections, loved every minute of it even if my legs were shaking like jelly when I got off to buy a drink at the cafe lol.

So pleased to be back on a bike, makes me wonder how I ever gave it up. :thumbsup:

bike.jpg

bike2.jpg

bike3.jpg

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom