Anyone got a Husky?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Right then....am trying to convince the mrs on allowing me to get a puppy and want any pointers or advice from any owners out there....

I've never owned a dog before...so I need to know a lot about them so I can put the best case forward lol....

:smashin:

have you thought first if a husky is right for you? they are far from the easiest of dogs to look after.

have you thought first if a husky is right for you? they are far from the easiest of dogs to look after.

As they are working dogs, I know that they require a lot of attention and need to be entertained. I just need some advice from people that own or have owned them.

There's so much you get from reading dozens of info pages online.

Not an owner, but have a friend whose parents used to have a couple, and have been a dog lover for a while myself - would love a Husky one day myself, or perhaps a slightly easier to look after Akita or Shiba Inu.

Be prepared for a lot of walking, huskies love to run and are FULL of energy. You will need to give it a lot of exercise, a lot more than many other breeds of dog. You'll also need a big, solid fence if you want to let it out in the garden - they can't half jump well and you don't want to be losing it (when it grows up).

I'd personally say they're a deceptive choice (I don't want to say bad) for a first dog... they can be incredibly hard to train - this is because they are intelligent and very stubborn, which is why it's ideal to have experience with other dogs first. A lot of people pick them for their looks and have no idea what to expect with them.

The good points to them are of course how friendly they are. That along with the fact they are not big on barking, but some do tend to howl a lot, but you can curve that with training. They shed fur quite a lot so I hope you don't like to keep a spotless house - though the good side is they're not really a "smelly" dog.

The main thing is exercise, you'll certainly get plenty of it, so be prepared for that :p

Some good info there, thanks a lot! I know that I will have to accommodate a Husky in my lifestyle, however I've wanted one for so long I am willing to do it. Plus the exercise thing is a bonus...as I can hopefully maintain my fitness levels.

Forgot to add, you will never be able to let it off the lead while out with it - no matter how obedient you think they are, they will run away and it'll be a pain to catch it again :p

There is an owner on here I believe (recall from the picture thread), I'm sure they'll pop in soon enough.

Is that right?? Lol, they must be hard work!!

Appreciate the advice :smashin:

They need a VERY dominant owner, and, once they have tasted blood (ie) have killed something (yes, they are prone to do that if they have an inexperienced owner) , are extremely hard to control in the future.

Having never owned a dog before I would recommend that you DO NOT have one of these.....forget best intentions and "cute and cuddly" looks.......they are b****y hard work, need constant stimulation, and an iron fist in terms of control.............as a first dog you would be well advised to plump for a Spaniel or a Labrador, both will need lots of exercise so you can fulfill your fitness level requirements but at the same time are ideal "introductory" dogs..........that is to say that both types are far more relaxed than a Husky will ever be......and your wife will thank you far more for getting one!!....WIN\WIN!!!

There's a forum glitch still working it's way out :thumbsup:

Forgot to add, you will never be able to let it off the lead while out with it - no matter how obedient you think they are, they will run away and it'll be a pain to catch it again :p

FENTON! :devil:

or Benton, Im not to sure. :D

I thought this was going to be about beer fridges. :cool:

I worked with a guy who had four IIRC. He devoted all his time to them and entered in some kine of wheeled sled competitions.

They sounded like hard work.

Hi guys,

Right then....am trying to convince the mrs on allowing me to get a puppy and want any pointers or advice from any owners out there....

I've never owned a dog before...so I need to know a lot about them so I can put the best case forward lol....

:smashin:

There's a couple of owners on here, myself included, and from this thread, there's a lot of old wives tales, and some facts..
You might get a cuddler, you might get a power chewer, you might get an active dog, you might get a lazy dog..it's luck of the draw, just as if you may get a vicious/active/lazy/power chewing lab or other breed.

A good place to start for info, and asking questions is http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/index.php

I've had them for most of my life, my parent's have had them, and now I've had my second pure breed, my last pure breed died a couple of years ago, and my other mix had to be put down in January, aged 18, so they do tend to live for at least 12 - 15 years on average.

They do like exercise, they also like to sleep.....a lot.
The can destroy a room in minutes, or they may just sleep in it.
Very intelligent, demanding, yes, but so are a lot of dogs.
The owner needs to be the boss, but you don't have to be a drill sergeant to do so.
They can make a lot of noise, they might not, ours just whines and howls like she's singing to herself, which isn't too loud, and you can't hear it from outside the house.
A set of chew toys, like a Kong is a must, a decent harness, and as is a long walking lead, and a 100ft lead or so, for running/beach use, etc.

Easy to train, paw/sit being the first thing to learn, in minutes, potty training on all mine was done within weeks.

My latest is 10 months old now, and no more demanding than any other dog of that age, in fact, she will sleep from about 9.30am, right through till at least 2pm, or later, till the school run, sometimes she will want to go out earlier but it's rare, and she sleeps all night, without fail.

Crate training is something to look into for a dog like this, as you can control it's habit's when you are out, and also it gives the dog somewhere to hide, like a den, which they love.
As I say above, try the husky site, for info, and maybe go see some or speak to other owners, better than people who know a friend of a friend sort of thing(no offense to anyone!!)

EDIT: Forgot to add, they will steal your bed, as they like the "pack" thing, and what's your's is theirs..

Very sensitive stomachs, no crap food for them, ours is fed on James Wellbeloved, one of the dearest on the market..loves marshmallows, Abernethy biscuits, and goes crazy for wine gums.

But in the end, how you bring the dog up, in your enviroment, is the thing that will lead to what it grows up to be.

Last edited:
if off the lead they will chase and eat anything that moves

Learn to walk before you run tbh.

You must have the wrong thread as I gather the OP can walk.

And if you're talking about getting another dog first - not neccessarily so. They're not a bad choice for a first choice of a dog, most of the time it's down to people not being dedicated enough.

A Beagle is a slightly more manageable version of a Husky I think...although they walk for miles too!

if off the lead they will chase and eat anything that moves

If you have time and dedication, you CAN teach/go to classes, and also to teach them recall commands.
Not all of them obey it 100% of the time, they might not come back, but won't run anywhere, but it's something that should be done, at least to see if your dog can do it.

Our female is a bit more approachable than our last male cross, he was a pain in the arse with commands outdoors, but the pure male neutered at around a year was quite calm when out, like our latest bitch.

A Beagle is a slightly more manageable version of a Husky I think...although they walk for miles too!

Lovely, lovely dogs, very intelligent and loyal too. :smashin:

A friend of mine ownes several Siberian Huskies, she has had them for a about 25 years. She and her husband race them as a team and I know they have terrific fun doing that. She has also judged them at Crufts and has also Best of Breed in Sibs at Crufts, so all in all a very knowledgable person.

If you were talking to her I know she would do her utmost to put you off owning one of these dogs, especially for your first dog. They are, as has been mentioned, very strong minded animal, they need a very dominant owner. They are a pack dog, much happier when kept with other Sibs. Hers are kept in kennels and will rarely want to come into the house.

There are also several Sibs where my wife takes our dog walking. Never see one off the lead, just the owners being pulled along. There was one young couple who were looking to re-home theirs after it eat its way through their living room whilst they were out shopping, no contol over it whatsoever. Saying that I've known Labradors to eat a house.

Have a really good think about owning a Husky, I honestly don't think it's the best choice for a first time owner. I've kept dogs for nearly 40 years and I'm afraid it is one breed I would steer well clear of..............for the dog's sake.

A friend of mine ownes several Siberian Huskies, she has had them for a about 25 years. She and her husband race them as a team and I know they have terrific fun doing that. She has also judged them at Crufts and has also Best of Breed in Sibs at Crufts, so all in all a very knowledgable person.

If you were talking to her I know she would do her utmost to put you off owning one of these dogs, especially for your first dog. They are, as has been mentioned, very strong minded animal, they need a very dominant owner. They are a pack dog, much happier when kept with other Sibs. Hers are kept in kennels and will rarely want to come into the house.

Of course there are two sides to every coin though :)

Of course there are two sides to every coin though :)

I agree totally, she would not be without her Huskies, but buying a dog, any dog, needs careful consideration not just 'it looks nice'. I used to walk my Irish Setters for at least five miles a day, I had three at the time, the more exercise you gave them the more they craved. Unless you put a Sib on a tread mill I don't think they can get the exercise they deserve, a major consideration. I've judged at dog shows and there is nothing worse than putting your hands on a good looking dog only to find it has hardly any muscle.

The best advice I can give to the OP is to talk to as many Sib owners are possible, get in touch with a respected breeder and again have a good talk. I've turned people away from Irish Setters simply because they weren't the dog for them. Sibs are a harder breed simply because they are such an active and extremely strong breed. I'd rather the OP be 100% committed before getting one than to want to get rid after just a few months.

Dogs deserve better people.

Perhaps you could borrow a mates dog for a week? And get a taster what it's like. Reason why I prefer cats, wouldn't want to be locked into a dogs exercise schedule, with working, going out all day etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom