Anyone got a Hi-Def set top box yet?

I'm using a Roku HD1000 with some succes. Plays back Hi-Def downloads with ease (upto 1080i) but since it has no hard drive, it still needs network access to the stuff you want to playback. At least the PC can be in another room that way.

Or are you after a Euro1080 STB or something ?

BTW Steve ... TOCA + Z2 = a winner :D

Cheers, Carl.

I want to plug n play so really looking for a STB for Euro1080.

and def agree about TOCA and PJ..awesome..;) just at 91%, nearly done :)

There's de to be a big marketing push for HD1080 in June onwards. That's when the STB's will ship. There's now a UK distributor for the receivers, Eurosat, and Pioneer and JVC are going to be doing joint marketing too I believe.

Gordon

Hopefully when they do encrypt and the STB's go on sale they'll be able to improve the content somewhat. At the moment Euro1080's programme line up is somewhat less than compelling.

They're never going to be Sky but Euro1080 should be aiming to be something along the lines of HDNet in the USA in the long run.

I agree with this, Euro1080 should indeed be similar in content to HDNET as I have seen Gladiator in 1080 format(not WMV)and it is very clear, I believe shows like Smallville , Alias and Enterprised are also broadcast this way.

Just learned that Euro1080 encryption will not start before May 15th due to a delay in supply of the set top boxes.

Jim

Originally posted by aligebes
I agree with this, Euro1080 should indeed be similar in content to HDNET as I have seen Gladiator in 1080 format(not WMV)and it is very clear, I believe shows like Smallville , Alias and Enterprised are also broadcast this way.

HD NET is actually a specific independent TV channel in the USA which was setup specificially to broadcast HD content. Things like major films and shows such as Smallville are owned and broadcast on mainstream channels. You will not see these in broadcast HDTV until someone like Sky decides to have a HD channel.

The best you can ever expect from Euro1080 would be things like sports highlights packages, concerts etc. The rights to most major films are already owned by various broadcasters in Europe (Sky, Canal+, Premiere etc.) so the chances of Euro1080 obtaining pan-European broadcast rights for them - even older films - are slim.

Wouldn't the US studios want HD to be promoted in Europe as once established HD will be another platfrom to sell the same content on?
With some basic encryption inplace the content would be protected on EURO1080 and not affect other contracts signed with broadcasters using standard definition digital satellite and I am sure the worldwide distributors are clever enough to have sold rights which they can point to as not having HD broadcasting privileges and therefore can be resold.

What about the dreaded HDCP in relation to Euro1080 STB's..?

museumsteve,

according to a euro1080 source (just a month ago),

"We only have the rights for the European Championship on our EVENT channel. I am afraid we will not be able to broadcast it live on the MAIN channel (it is a question of millions of Euros to be paid for).
Maybe we will bring it non-live and packed later on, between September and December during day-time, but I cannot confirm this yet."

Originally posted by Starburst

With some basic encryption inplace the content would be protected on EURO1080 and not affect other contracts signed with broadcasters using standard definition digital satellite and I am sure the worldwide distributors are clever enough to have sold rights which they can point to as not having HD broadcasting privileges and therefore can be resold.

What most rights holders most definately do not want is any move to pan-European rights sales. Euro1080 are planning (as I understand it) EU wide availability of the channel. HD rights may be seperate but the current SD rights holder will have a say and no doubt a "purchase first" option. Look at it this way, if Sky have brought "exclusive" UK distribution rights for a given product they wouldn't be too happy if just anyone could buy up the HD rights for a song and broadcast the same material in direct competition to the "exclusive" rights holder.

Euro1080 content should improve (let's face it, it will have to if they're to sell any cards or receivers) but I really wouldn't hold your breath for movies, major drama or live sports events.

Originally posted by pdundas
What most rights holders most definately do not want is any move to pan-European rights sales. Euro1080 are planning (as I understand it) EU wide availability of the channel. HD rights may be seperate but the current SD rights holder will have a say and no doubt a "purchase first" option. Look at it this way, if Sky have brought "exclusive" UK distribution rights for a given product they wouldn't be too happy if just anyone could buy up the HD rights for a song and broadcast the same material in direct competition to the "exclusive" rights holder.

Euro1080 content should improve (let's face it, it will have to if they're to sell any cards or receivers) but I really wouldn't hold your breath for movies, major drama or live sports events.

Yes you are probably right but "exclusive" might mean one thing to the buyer and another to the seller. CH4 probably thought they had exclusive UK rights to Friends before SKY1 realised that CH4 didn't have the PAY rights and snapped them up there by forcing CH4 to create E4 to house PAY content.
It's all down to how far sighted the lawyers are on both sides but the point is probably now moot if the content of fletcher32's post is still accurate.

It may be that only the current crop of PAY broadcasters will be in a position to deliver premium content via a HD broadcast which is not a big issue on a platform that is stable and growing but I would hope that HD will have some good/headline content to kick start the format to the domestic audience.

One bad thing about this box is that with no firewire or other external connections there is no way to connect any current or future recording devices to it.

With already quite limited content and no way to timeshift HDTV this is another drawback to Euro1080.

Not sure how they are going to justify that price...

Originally posted by SimonO
Not sure how they are going to justify that price...

So how much would a US or Australian HD-TV receiver with DVI cost you if you imported it to the UK?

If you compare the cost with the Euro1080 receiver it's not a bad deal considering how much bigger and more established the HD market is in the US and Australia.

I agree with simon...... £400 is alot of money..... if you are big into this kind of thing, chances are you have a video processor (else I wouldnt really follow the logic of being so keen on HD). For the cost of one of these boxes you would almost be able to get your satellite box and processor upgraded to sdi..... in my view a much more worthy upgrade considering the content situation

ad

would HDTV content come under the same rights packages as the normal things that sky etc have got ?

Originally posted by digitalsafari
So how much would a US or Australian HD-TV receiver with DVI cost you if you imported it to the UK?

If you compare the cost with the Euro1080 receiver it's not a bad deal considering how much bigger and more established the HD market is in the US and Australia.

Unfortunately, there are no HDTV set top boxes here in Oz with DVI out. VGA out is another story. http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=18 has a list of set top boxes available in Australia.

However, HD boxes are a rip off compared to SD boxes (c. $A300 vs $A900) because of Australia's unique HD-DVB. Topfield is currently developing a HD PVR but its RRP is forecast at a mind-boggling $1500.

Originally posted by digitalsafari

I think I will be in the minority as I've already installed a Visiosat Toroidal dish with three LNB's aimed at 28, 19 and 13 ready for what ever HD comes my way... I would like to purchase a SD box anyway, so I can partially justify the additional HD expense, but £550 for a single channel will hardly convince the masses... If the content is as limited as reported the novelty will soon fade, no matter how good it looks IMO... If they ever throw copy protection into the mix then I'd give them six months tops..!

Obviously I hope I'm wrong...

PS I know I should look past the cosmetics, but that box looks nasty IMO...

If you look at Quali-TV they appointed Eurosat London as distributor for the UK.

Eurosat London are franchisee of Eurosat Distribution, but also distribute their own gear.

All UK sourced stock comes via Eurosat London and the receiver dealer pricing has been around for a little while.

The receivers are due around the 14th of May, with the smart cards to follow.
Euro1080 are delaying encrypting a little while, until the receivers and cards are out.

Euro1080 has much better material which cannot be shown until they encrypt, expect big name concerts and other non Hollywood owned material.

I would like to see Euro1080 become a HD equivalent of TV-1000 with a bit of everything but all top quality.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom