Anyone got a Google Pixel phone here? Google Pay question

BM08

Just trying to find out if anyone knows how google pay works on the Pixel 4 XL. I’ve heard that you can’t use face unlock to pay, you have to enter a password, then it goes through? Perhaps face unlock for google pay has since been added in a software update?

I haven’t got the phone but was thinking of buying it, but don’t want to buy something that has less functionality than my current phone!

Than

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Mrs LV426 has a Pixel 4 and that DOES work as you describe - Face Unlock, + google pay = OK. Not directly applicable but I'm guessing (?) there's no good reason for any difference.

BM08

Thanks for the reply, So just to clarify, she doesn’t have to type a passcode at all, just press the button to bring up google pay, the phone scans your face and the payment goes through, without any other user interaction?

willo

Most android phones you just unlock the phone and hold it up to the terminal and payment will go through. Can‘t see the pixel 4 doing it differently.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
My current phone has a fingerprint sensor and when I first started using it when it was Android Pay, the requirement was you could pay up to £30 just by waking the device, then anything over £30 you had to unlock the device via appropriate security, so PIN, pattern, fingerprint. There was no Google face unlock then that was their equivalent to Apple's Face ID. The Android Pay set up process would force you to enable one of the device's security unlock methods to be able to use Android Pay. It wasn't compatible with just swipe to unlock.

I've just had a look at the Google Pay Help Center and all it says about paying in store now is to turn on your phone screen and unlock your phone. It doesn't list any particular unlock requirements, such as you must use a fingerprint, etc. So, I guess anything other than the insecure swipe to unlock is now acceptable with Google Pay.

BM08

Wasn't the problem more with banking apps than GPay?

Still not completely rectified it seems.

Thanks very much for finding that information, I googled but must have missed that.

I’ve got my answer aswell, Barclays UK is on the “list of shame” unfortunately!

Thanks again chap:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom