• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Anyone got a Golf 2.8 4 Motion?

CGizzi

Hi All

Im on the lookout for a quick 2nd hand car was looking at Subarus but poor interior & the possibility of getting it robbed is making me have a look else where before I commit.

Just had a test in the 2.8 Golf 4motion, ok not a quick as a scooby but decent interion & a pretty normal looking car ( hopefully putting off them toe rag thieves?)

Anyone own one out there? comments? what are they like being driven hard in fuel & handling? Servicing costs?

Cheers

All

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
Not owned one but driven one for a couple of weeks...

Handling is typically Golf, solid, if slightly numb with no real feedback. Grip was plentiful and plenty of traction but the front was very heavy.

Fuel is scary!

If you want a fun second car, the Seat Leon Cupra R is a great car (more fun than a Scooby IMO!) and can be had for sensible cash, based on the Gold MK 5 platform too.

Couple of other performance bargains if the budget doesn't stretch to the Cupra, you could go with a 20VT version, or Peugeot 306 GTi-6 or the best option IMO Honda Integra Type R, but make sure it's totally unmodded and still on the standard 15" Rims!!!

CGizzi

Cheers Scott

Yes the Type Rs do appeal & yes they are hard to find in original states, so to can the Scoobys be Im not interested in after sales mods.

Didnt think of the Leon Cupra, Im off to Auto Trader now.

Cheers

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/232109.htm

Looks a sensible car.... and oh how i love the seats in them!

The Leon is wonderful, i tend to view Seat as the sporty brand of the VAG and whilst it's a little plasticky inside the rest of the package is excellent.

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
Cheers Scott

Yes the Type Rs do appeal & yes they are hard to find in original states, so to can the Scoobys be Im not interested in after sales mods.

Didnt think of the Leon Cupra, Im off to Auto Trader now.

Cheers

I'll echo the Cupra...deffinitley 100% buy one over ANY golf you can find they are in a different class performance wise.

I have one now & it's the best car I've ever owned.

It is all things to all people...can be a sedate 4 door family hatchback or if you feel the need for a blast then it can be a complete hooligan as well :devil::devil:

Also dont forget the fact that it's really easy to get big BHP for little cost.

For example a Revo Remap on the 180BHP Cupra will see you the right side 0f 200bhp for just under £500 fitted :D:D
Whilst the 225BHP R will get well into the 260BHP region :D:D

I'd say buy one & love it & I'm sure Mylo will be along soon to add his experience with his one ;)

Neil

NWhiteley

Hi All

Im on the lookout for a quick 2nd hand car was looking at Subarus but poor interior & the possibility of getting it robbed is making me have a look else where before I commit.

Just had a test in the 2.8 Golf 4motion, ok not a quick as a scooby but decent interion & a pretty normal looking car ( hopefully putting off them toe rag thieves?)

Anyone own one out there? comments? what are they like being driven hard in fuel & handling? Servicing costs?

Cheers

All

I used to have one about 18 months ago, until it was stolen. Quite frankly im glad it was stolen, as it was slow, considering it was a 2.8 V6, didnt handle that well, and only did around 15 mpg.

I made another mistake, 3 months ago, in buying another VAG V6, it was a Audi A3 3.2 S-Line, and it was even slower than the Golf.
I have since bought a 2007 Audi A3 2.0 turbo, remapped to around 270 BHP, and its fantastic to drive.

Mylo

Distinguished Member
I'd say buy one & love it & I'm sure Mylo will be along soon to add his experience with his one ;)

Neil

Yep, I would heartily recommend any one of the Cupra's, they are as happy destroying the speed limit as they are at 30mph in 6th gear.

You have a choice of 180, 210, 225 bhp or the extremely capable TDi's.

If you don't want to spend the extra cash for the Cupra badge then the '20VT sport' has the same 180bhp engine as Neil and I have.

WhyAyeMan

Honda Integra Type R, but make sure it's totally unmodded and still on the standard 15" Rims!!!

Great cars. I've had mine for 6 months now and it still feels like a special occasion every time I am fortunate enough to be able to unleash the howling VTEC engine on a country road. Fast, good handling and brakes and just a special car...

Incidentally the 98 spec model like mine has 16" wheels as standard.

teg5.jpg

sidicks

Banned
I'll echo the Cupra...deffinitley 100% buy one over ANY golf you can find they are in a different class performance wise.

Given that the engines in the Cupra are also available in the Golf, then this statement doesn't really make sense. Ok the Golf is a heavier car (slightly), but the interior is of significantly better quality than the Seat.

Performance per £, the Seat wins, but as an ownership prospect, I'm not so sure.

Personally, if you live with 3 doors, then the 210bhp Audi S3 Quattro would be my choice - Subtle, beautifully built, exceptional interior and great handling/performance/fuel economy compromise......!!
:smashin:
Sidicks

Mylo

Distinguished Member
The normal Golf T is only 150bhp isn't it ?

I think only the 25 year anniversary model has the 180bhp engine.

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
The normal Golf T is only 150bhp isn't it ?

I think only the 25 year anniversary model has the 180bhp engine.

Indeed the Standard Golf Turbo was only 150Bhp

The 180Bhp unit in ours is actually the one that was in the entry level Audi TT & only made it into the Golf in the Anniversary edition's

So unless you willing to pay through the nose for the Anniversary GTi turbo then it's really a no brainer

And if your thinking about an '03 spec S3 then the Cupra R makes more sense straight away...same 225bhp lump & loads cheaper, plus it's only 1kg heavier & only .3 of a second slower to 60 than the S3 but for the savings your making you could live with that
Only downside really is no Quattro but who needs it anyway ;);)

Neil

NWhiteley

Im pretty sure that soon after the Anniversary model was introduced that all the Golf 1.8T engines power output were increased to 180 BHP

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom