anyone got a DVB card in their pc?

S

strackal

Hi,

I have a dvb card, form the time i subscribed to euro online ( what a load of ******** that was ! )
..anyway ive just bought a plasma screen, and hooked the pc, and dvbcard upto it and the quality is prettyy good!

anyone else got a similar setup? i can only get free to air chans obviously, does anyone know if you can get s/w to decrypt scrambled channels or if there are hardware addons that emulate common access modules etc?

cheers

I actually have 2 DVB cards in my PC. 1 is a Broadlogic ABA2030 bought via Ebay in the USA. The other is a Twinhan orderable from www.dvbexpress.com .
I also use the Broadlogic card for the free push internet service from sat@once (Astra at 19 degrees east)- see http://satatonce.tudor.lu or http://satatonce.tudor.lu.
I can now watch links with 4:2:2 video using s/ware from www.dvbapps.com for both cards. Hans' s/ware (dvbviewer) is written for hobbyists and you have to register at his site to get access - but I found it worthwhile (and even paypal'd him some money subsequently although this isn't essential). Support comes via satforums http://forums.satforums.com/ in their restricted "New Finds" area which is part of their DVB/MPEG area and again you have to sign up on line to get access to New Finds.
In there, we all help each other.
The BL card isn't approved by sat@once but I worked out what registry changes & network settings were needed to get their browsing software to work with it.
There is an excellent MPEG Transport stream reader (TSreader) for the TH card at Rod Hewitt's site (www.coolstf.com) ; Rod is a Brit now residing in the USA (& a personal friend).
There's also an article on the TH card in the new (just out) edition of TSI (Tele Satellite International) magazine (12/01 2003).

Chris Muriel (1.8 meter steerable dish & author of Dig satellite FAQ).

wow, someone knows there stuff! :)

cheers for the info. just found out the card ive got, is rubbish basicallly. Its a skystar card with b2c2 chipset. the only progr that works with it is dvbviewer, but the cards hardware cant unscramble chans with softcams etc.

going to upgrade to a better card. any recommendations?

For what you want (which I cannot advise on in detail as it could conflict with my employer - a USA chip company) see if there is a version of the Twinhan card with a CI slot.
Twinhan have their own website (with English version) if you search for it.
Otherwise, ask in alt.satellite.tv.crypt on Usenet.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

the skystar 1 supports hardware cams, but theres also soft cams..i.e multidec which work with a host of dvb cards.

who do u work for ??

I work for Analog Devices. We don't actually make much that would go in a CAM (possibly reset generators). We do make make video encoders & decoders (video ADC & DACs), amps,
frame-grabbers etc. as well as a JPEG2000 compression chip.
Website is www.analog.com

I am (as of Nov 1st) 50% a Field Applications Engineer (was 100%) and 50% a Central Apps Engineer - answering tech queries that are sent to to our Eurolinear support email address.
Quite interesting having 2 bosses - but unfortunately no extra pay & 2 separate expense forms to fill out each month :-(
Still , they have now set me up with an ADSL connection + more memory (512MB) and a bigger hard-disk (20GB) for my laptop.
When working from my home-office, it remains docked.

Chris Muriel, G3ZDM , author of Dig Satellite FAQ (I need to find time to update this).

cool.

do you know if its possible to hook up ntl digital to a dvb card with CI and use the original smart card ?

dont know what encrytion system ntl use. I now its impossible with sky videoguard, and the card/box marriage.

Your NTL cable signal will be QAM-modulated (to DVB-C or DOCSIS specs) whereas Satellite (DVB-S) uses qpsk modulation . So the tuner on a DVB (satellite) PCI card has the wrong type of demodulator therein.
You can , of course, take baseband video from the NTL box (RGB, composite or S-Video) and feed this into a suitable video capture card.

Chris Muriel

ive seen theres actual digitable cable cards for pc's, do u know much about them?

I have never seen or heard of one.
Im wonder who makes them & to what standard ?
If you have a weblink to such info, please post.

Chris Muriel

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom