1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone got a Dell 2005fp wide screen

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by rodney_nz, Apr 10, 2005.

1. rodney_nz

rodney_nz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi there, has anyone got a widescreen 2005fp,if so how do you find it? Im especially interested in using the composite, svhs input for either a VHS or freeview. If I plugged in a VHS via composite would the screen strech the display to 16:9 proportions or would it stay 4:3 and have black bands on the sides, your comments would be appreciated.
    cheers

2. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've got one on order, should be arriving this week. I can let you know when I've set it up.

3. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Hi Rodney,

I have recently ordered a 2001fp (the 20" 4:3 version of that monitor). I did a bit of research before ordering as I initially wanted the wide version. Basically I found out that the analogue inputs for standard video equipment (ie composite and svideo) were poor, most people said they wouldn't like to use them. If you want to get freeview on your pc monitor then a better idea might be to use a PC freeview card such as the nebula (www.nebula-electronics.co.uk) which can be had for about £100. This should give you a great picture when used via the DVI or VGA inputs of the monitor.

The screen is (like most widescreen PC monitors) 16:10 rather than 16:9 so when showing widescreen TV content it would have (small) black bars above and below the image, or it would stretch it to fit.

The reason I went for the 4:3 version in the end was that it actually has more screen area and a better resolution, so for what I wanted (mainly photoshop work) it seemed the better idea, YMMV depending on what you want to use it for mainly.

HTH
    owain

EDIT: also the 4:3 is a lot cheaper too! - £385 delivered at the moment.

4. rodney_nz

rodney_nz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hey guys thanks for the comments, sorry for the delay
    I had a chance to buy one second hand but after reading forums these tend to have backlight issues and its 50/50 on whether you get a good one or not, might hand out for the new larger one!! :lease:

cheers again

5. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That's alright... I'm still waiting for mine from Dell! Think I'll give them a call and see what today's "Excuse of the day" is :)