Anyone got a 5S without the power button rattle?

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by Flashy, Feb 17, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Flashy

Flashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,158
    Had my space grey 5S for a few weeks now, and the power button rattled out of the box. No issue during normal use, so I didn't let it bother me. But then I shot some video...

A slight rattle translates to fairly loud clicks on recordings. I'm not shaking the phone, even the slightest movement causes it to happen. Have seen others online report the same thing. It renders recordings all but useless. It's definitely the power button, not the camera or vibration mechanism (it stops if I put my finger on the button), and happens whether in or out of a case.

Had an online 'chat' with Apple support and they confirmed it wasn't normal and I should make a Genius appointment. I'm booked in for tomorrow, but wary I might be wasting my time, given the number of people elsewhere online saying it's an issue on many handsets.

But aware that people are far quicker to report the bad than good, so thought I'd canvass opinion before embarking on an hour-long round trip.

2. localboy27

localboy27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +489
  3. Flashy

Flashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,158
    Thanks. I've waded through that already. :)

It's what led to me wondering whether it was worth bothering going in. There is a lot of movement on my power button, though, so probably be worth it for piece of mind if nothing else.

And I'll get to look at some lovely Macs I can't afford.

4. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Mine moves if i push it, but i dont notce it rattle if i shake the phone. Have not taken any videos yet so not sure if the camara picks up any movement, plus my phone is now in a case so no chance of any movement now.

5. Flashy

Flashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,158
    Got it swapped last night. New one still rattles in the same place, though doesn't appear as bad and isn't picked up on video nearly so readily. Genius was very helpful and more than happy to change it, though wouldn't say it was a fault, which seems to tie in with what people have been saying elsewhere.

The screen is much better, though, so that's a definite plus. Thought blues were a bit off on my old one, but put that down to the difference between the 5s and my old 4.

6. Sdavies8

Sdavies8
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

7. Sdavies8

Sdavies8
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All the same from iPhone 5 up , I took my iPhone 5 back before cos of this and got refunded, however after checking every iPhone 5 for 1 month went out and bought another iPhone 5 , now on 5 s and still the same, it's a shame cos u can't fault the rest off the build, I've put a genuine apple leather case on mine and you hardly notice it now

8. Spiderkid

Spiderkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    The power button on my 5S does rattle, but it's such a tiny sound that I never notice it, and as I don't think it's the result of a defect it doesn't really worry me.

9. bransoj

bransoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Cant say i've noticed and power button rattle at all on my iPhone 5 that i got on launch day. If its there its a very quiet rattle!

10. Blujelly

Blujelly
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Had the same issue also got a new iPhone sent out the best day still has it. Not a major sound only notice it if I think about it and if it's out of it's case. iRattle it was called I believe.

11. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    Had the rattle on my original iPhone 5, on my first replacement the rattle was no longer there (phone was replaced due to another issue), my second replacement has the rattle. Absolutely annoying buy alas it seems like something we have to (grudgingly) put up with.