1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone got 1 of these i rivers?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Synchronicity, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
  2. makum

makum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Iriver ifp-999 1gb it's about the size and weight of a matchbox and I'm really impressed with it.

3. Tiberius

Tiberius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I fancy getting one of these. I spend a lot of time listening to the radio so I need good reception - does the ifp-999's tuner measure up?

4. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You may not like the size a great deal but the iriver HP 320 can be had for £220 online. This is a few mm thicker than the ipod i think but is 20gb, can play video/radio/mp3 etc. The most functional excellent device ive ever seen. It can even act as a USB host so I can connect it to my digital camera and save some money on buying lots of memory cards. Also dont need to take my laptop with me.

Truly excellend and I really advise you consider it again! :)

5. makum

makum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in a poor reception area but it works and you can record from the radio :D

6. Tiberius

Tiberius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Thanks. I'll add this to my shortlist.

7. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have the H140 and it's superb! Not quite filled it yet, 40GB is a lot of albums! I haven't used the radio on it yet, but then I'm not using the supplied phones so maybe my Koss phones won't pick up a signal.

8. loofer

loofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I don't think the H series play video, they can certainly store it but they can only display static images, word files and user interface. I agree though on it's functionality there's very little it doesn't do, to add to your list it can also record off the radio, encode mp3 on the fly without the need for a computer, record voice messages and any windows software will recognise it as an external hard drive withou any need for special drivers meaning you can store any type of data on it you like.

I'm amazed the ipods not taking more of a beating from it really.

9. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    No the latest firmware can play xvid/divx. It does need converting to a resonable resolution but It can cope with some formats like the videos taken with my digi camera (sony dsc-p1) (ideal resolution is 220x176 or something like that).

10. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It's all down to the marketing IMO. The average punter has probably never heard of iRiver, Archos, etc. without doing some research.

11. loofer

loofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

I didn't know that, it seems then there's nothing the i-river doesn't do? can you get sound as well as video? i mean if you could compress a movie with div-x could you use it as a portable video player?

12. loofer

loofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

True but then word of mouth usually spreads these things pretty well, look at Firefox, never advertised anywhere but it's userbase is bigger than any non-MS browser out there.

13. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Firefox is increasing in user-base due to the constant major security flaws in IE though, I think that's Micro$oft shooting itself in the foot. The iPod, as far as I know, doesn't have any security flaws [unless U count the visibility of the white headphones for muggers!]

Ultimately we all benefit as these companies battle for our business. I suspect Apple will have to start taking notice of their competitors soon and try to narrow the features gap.

14. loofer

loofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Yeah, they've brought out the i-pod photo but they still don't have anything with an FM tuner which is a big turn off for me.

15. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The ipod photo can only open pictures and it costs a stupid amount. The iriver H320 bought online costs the same as a regular Ipod 20gb. It can play pics/radio/mp3 (with better quality in my opinion) and video (with sound of course :) )

Apple have got nothing right to be honest other than its appearance, but I have to say im not a fan, its a big garish.

P.S. I dont own a 320 but my brother does and ive had a little play.