• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Anyone gone from Synology to unRAID?

Xeneye

Previously MacGeekPaul
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has moved from using Synology to unRAID, just wondering how it went and if you had any regrets etc.?

I'm currently running 3x different Synology units, with a total of 11 drives across them all and am seriously thinking of doing a self build, and putting all the drives into one case and running unRAID.

I have no problems with the Synology units and love using DSM, but just have this itch to try something new and from the research I've done so far, unRAID looks to be exactly what I'm looking for.

Keen to hear your thoughts.

Paul.

muppetman74

I did a couple of years ago - as to how it went, I migrated back to Synology (well, Xpenology) a few months later!

This experience was a couple of years ago so things may have changed, but I found the Synology DSM much more user friendly and it just worked with much better disk performance - I found unRAID much clunkier and some of the media features either didn't work or required tinkering to get things working. I would in IT all day, so I just wanted my home storage solution just to work!

Xeneye

Previously MacGeekPaul
Thanks for that @muppetman74
I hadn't really looked into Xpenology, just between FreeNAS and unRAID, I'll have a look into it and get some more info.

I do like the DSM, and like you say it's very user friendly and likewise I just want stuff to work.
I wanted a bigger unit with a minimum of 8 bays but for me the problem is just the cost, the new 1817+ is selling for over £900 new and has an Intel Atom CPU with just 2 GB ram, that's a lot of dosh, when I look at the home build I'm doing, spec wise it's just not comparable, but if I go with unRAID/FreeNAS it looks like quite a bit of tinkering is needed to get things working well.

Cheers for your feedback.

Avalon One

Thanks for that @muppetman74
I hadn't really looked into Xpenology, just between FreeNAS and unRAID, I'll have a look into it and get some more info.

I do like the DSM, and like you say it's very user friendly and likewise I just want stuff to work.
I wanted a bigger unit with a minimum of 8 bays but for me the problem is just the cost, the new 1817+ is selling for over £900 new and has an Intel Atom CPU with just 2 GB ram, that's a lot of dosh, when I look at the home build I'm doing, spec wise it's just not comparable, but if I go with unRAID/FreeNAS it looks like quite a bit of tinkering is needed to get things working well.

Cheers for your feedback.

Xpenology is probably your natural migration path for you as it's basically DSM, the issues are that it's future is less certain and it's upgrades/support are usually not of the order of three clicks and a reboot. As to what is better for you specifically, that depends on how you plan on using what you have. A cheap micro server has wiped the floor hardware and value wise with anything Synology have sold at 3x the price in the last few years, it's also not subject to commercial obsolescence in the way Synology stop producing DSM upgrades at fixed intervals even though hardware is capable of running later versions. Also if your board dies on un-raid, no problem, pull the USB stick, connect the drives to another PC, change the boot order to USB, set the IP via the router and boot, set the drive order and mount the array - you're back up and running in 10-15 mins without touching the host OS (very handy in an emergency).

The points raised above may have related to un-raid several years ago, however several years ago the UI was upgraded, cache drives introduced etc. speeding up writes considerably (hint: SSD is your friend), that said un-raid is largely intended as a data hoarding platform, it's users tend to be WORO (write once, read often) rather than needing high IOP's spread across multiple users, it will happily stream media to multiple client's, but 5 users trying to do content processing/media work with high IO loads per user aren't it's strong point, FreeNAS is better in that regard. Either way, un-raid today is a decent platform for relatively static data if set-up properly, it also has the flexibility to grow as you need it to. You can run dockers/VM's easily, secure your whole LAN and download/process content automatically with minimal agro. Synology upped the home user NAS standard, un-raid isn't quite as user friendly, but it's really not far off and brings with it a whole new load of options.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom