Anyone gone from KEF iQ8ds or similar TO Q800ds/R800ds?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Wavod, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Wavod

Wavod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Hi,
    Basically I would like to know peoples views if anyone has gone from KEF iQ8ds or similar TO Q800ds/R800ds or similar?
    Is there a major improvent in the quality of sound/dispertion etc. to warrant an upgrade in this way?
    Thanks for your time.......

2. fayeanddavid

fayeanddavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,964
    Wavod,

I think Jules is your man, can't remember if he did but I do think so

I did have the Q8DS and found them very diffuse, clever but too much for my liking, hence the move to the T series as surrounds, the Ts seem to disperse well but retain a point source that you can refer to, I didn't think that the DS's necessarily gave you a reference point aurally that you could work from.

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,155
    I never had the Q8DS. I came from the KEF THX TDM34 dipoles and now have both the Q800ds and R800ds.

The TDM's were, and many think still are, one of the finest rear speakers KEF have ever made. At the time they were considerably better sounding than the Q series, just much bigger and not particularly pretty.

Neither the Q800 nor the R800 have the same physical or sonic weight of the old TDM's, but the uni-q drivers on both are much better than the Q8DS.

My guess is that they will comfortably outperform the Q8DS in dispersion and atmosphere.

4. Wavod

Wavod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Firsly thanks to both of you :smashin:

Spooky,but since starting this thread I've managed to get hold of a pair of TDM 34DS's (even before I read your post :eek:) Paid a deposit so hoping all goes well with the delivery from Bristol in the next few weeks :rolleyes:
    I'm hoping the iQ8ds's get some interest on the Bay to help fund the change.
    Now the question is, do I wait another age for another pair of 34DS's to come along for Rear Backs, or do I go for a pair of Q800ds's and hope that they go well together?
    Just out of interest are you running your Q's and R's in the same setup? If so, how do they integrate etc.?
    Thanks for now,Dave.

5. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,155
    Q800ds & R800ds are both in my system and integrate perfectly. As a dipole speaker, there's really not much between them sonically if I'm honest.

The R series quality doesn't get the chance to shine in much the same way as it does on the front channels, but the R800s look a lot nicer than the Q800's.

6. Wavod

Wavod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Thanks Jules,
    I'll certainly give the 34DS's a go with the Q800ds's (unless another pair of 34DS's come out of the woodwork :rolleyes:).
    Worse case scenario is they don't blend together,but then I just change them!
    Best case scenario is they go together nicely and put the iQ8ds's to shame :)
    Thanks for your input and to David for pointing me in your direction.