Anyone going for the £32.99 Divx Player at Aldi ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dillz, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Dillz

Dillz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    It's a Tevion at Aldi from 21st July. Was thinking that it might be OK for my bedroom. Specs are;

• Integrated Dolby Digital 5.1 Decoder
    • DIVX/MPEG4 compatible for playback of downloaded movies (DIVX, 3, 4, 5 and VOD Video)
    • Compatible with DVD, Super VCD, VCD, CD, MP3, CD-R, CD-RW, Kodak Picture CD, MPEG files DIVX
    • Progressive scan video out
    • Multi-region
    • Compatible with PAL/ NTSC/AUTO system
    • Full functional infra-red remote control
    • Dynamic screen saver function
    • High horizontal resolution: 500 TV lines
    • 54MHz 12bit D/A video conversion
    • 96KHz 24bit D/A audio conversion
    • Includes scart lead
    • Multi-view angle, zoom function
    • Size: 400 (W) x 38 (H) x 230mm (D)
    • Colour: metallic silver

Aldi

2. Dillz

Dillz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well I bought one of these today. Lots of similarities with the Cello player that Sainsbury's were selling a few weeks ago.

Just the job for the portable telly in my bedroom, well chuffed :)

3. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Whats the firmware like compared to the cello ? Same difference a bit more advanced ?

4. Dillz

Dillz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I also have the Cello in another bedroom! The Aldi player is basically a silver version, the case is the same design but the LCD display and the power switch are in different places. The remote controls are different but are interchangable between models. Same blue light!

By better Firmware do you mean the subtitle issues and compatability with compressed bitrate DIVX ? If so I am actually trying to get old of a sample compressed bitrate DIVX to test it with. Any idea where I can get a test file from as the last one I had I deleted because it was unwatchable with the Cello.

5. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    yeah packed bitsteam etc.... also divx subtitles were tiny and not that great. I couldn't ever dump the cello firmware so investigate further. Does the aldi player have a brand on it ? (TEVION doh) Model number ?

This is my Cello 8105 page : http://www.nogs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/misc/cello_dvd8105/index.htm

Can you check what version firmware it has ?

The standard ways to display firmware didn't work so I never got what version it was but it would be a early generic mediatek one from the poor divx subtitles.

6. Random Hajile

Random Hajile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Brought one of these earlier and have to say for the price i`m impressed. It`s only going in the spare room with my samsung lcd to watch the odd tv series and film with every now and again but for £33 you can`t really argue with the performance. I`m outputting it in progressive scan and works fine on region 1, 2 and 3 discs that i`ve tried upto yet. I`d say it`s better than my pioneer 545 but that has no progressive scan on. How they output players this cheap is beyond me :eek:

7. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Manufacture in China and treat their labour like slaves perhaps?

Still bought one.....multiregion out the box, and a fabulous picture for the price. Plays any of the DIVX I've thrown at it so far. Noticed that s-video seems to be a bit better than RGB.

I can't get over the blue light on the dvd tray though...dimmed it a bit by putting a small sticker along the left hand edge of the player. Has anyone opened up the box to come up with a better solution?

Ian Guinan

8. sibod

sibod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We've got 2 now (one for downstairs and one for my room). I'm very impressed. Cant seem to find any defects. PQ seems good, and havent found any major issues with DIVX either!

Great buy for £33!

9. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    I have one of the Cello from Sainsburys and we found s-video was better than rgb as well on a old Sony Trinitron set.

10. IanStatham

IanStatham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know whether it plays xvid as well as divx??

11. Bully9

Bully9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I got one of these last week. It seems a very good quality picture and sound, especially at this price, and it plays Xvid with packed bitstream. There is a problem with subtitles tho': if the picture isn't pretty much spot on 16:9, they disappear off the bottom of the screen. You have to watch in 4:3 LB with a tiny picture in the middle of the screen. I want to ask Aldi about this, but so far, after 6 attempts, i have yet to get through on their helpline. At least it's not an 0870 number :)

12. kram49

kram49

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello.I'm a new member here. :)
    I stumbled across this forum because I have bought this DVD player and I am having some problems.The reason I bought the Player was for the DivX feature but I cant seem to play any Divx movies downloaded from the internet. I would appreciate it if someone could walk me through how exactly to do this (I'm a complete newbie by the way so be gentle). Also the player doesnt seem to play DVD+R discs, is this correct and is there any way around this? Thanks in advance

13. Chanser

Chanser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Bah my local Aldi is still being built. :(